Adran Gymraeg / Welsh Section

Have a suggestion for the board? Place it here for discussion

Moderators: admin, The ref, Henry Crun

Seisyll ap Dyfnwal

Adran Gymraeg / Welsh Section

Post by Seisyll ap Dyfnwal »

Could we please have a section where people can discuss rugby matters yn 'yr hen iaith', similar to that on the Gwl@d board? :D
String

Post by String »

Are there really enough welsh speaking ebbw fans to need its own section? Obviously its the admins choice but i cant see the problem if someone posts in the normal sections using welsh. If its gets flooded by it then maybe it could have its own forum but im not convinced the volume is there.

The problem on boards like this with relatively low user bases is if you create too many sub forums you end up diluting the posts and content so instead of a few busy forums you get lots with a handful of posts and the place rapidly starts to resemble a ghost town.
Seisyll ap Dyfnwal

String wrote:Are there really enough welsh speaking ebbw fans to need its own section?
Yes there are, and the number is growing. Again, if we aim to be the Premiership club representing Blaenau Gwent, and beyond, I think we have a duty to provide a service in Welsh. Moderators could be a problem, but it shouldn't be.
String

Post by String »

Fair enough although i dont see why it cant go into the normal places. The reason i questioned it is there were very few welsh language posts on the old board.
Seisyll ap Dyfnwal

String wrote:Fair enough although i dont see why it cant go into the normal places. The reason i questioned it is there were very few welsh language posts on the old board.
But the old board was very limited. (Remember it wouldn't accept posts of over a certain amount of words.) The new one isn't.
Graham

Post by Graham »

Seisyll ap Dyfnwal wrote:But the old board was very limited. (Remember it wouldn't accept posts of over a certain amount of words.) The new one isn't.
Yep, it was a nightmare for me and my epics. So much to say and so little room. :lol:
ebbwboy

Re: Adran Gymraeg / Welsh Section

Post by ebbwboy »

Seisyll ap Dyfnwal wrote:Could we please have a section where people can discuss rugby matters yn 'yr hen iaith', similar to that on the Gwl@d board? :D
Syniad da, SaD. Mae nifer o bobl sy'n cefnogi Glynebwy yn siarad Cymraeg a byddai'n dda gael rywle i sgwrsio heb achos problemau i'r fwyafrif sy ddim yn deall.

(A good idea, SaD. A number of Ebbw supporters speak Welsh and it would be nice to have somehwere to chat (in Welsh) without causing problems to the majority why don't understand (Welsh).)
Graham

Post by Graham »

ebbwboy wrote:Syniad da, SaD. Mae nifer o bobl sy'n cefnogi Glynebwy yn siarad Cymraeg a byddai'n dda gael rywle i sgwrsio heb achos problemau i'r fwyafrif sy ddim yn deall.

(A good idea, SaD. A number of Ebbw supporters speak Welsh and it would be nice to have somehwere to chat (in Welsh) without causing problems to the majority why don't understand (Welsh).)
I can't speak Welsh, I just wish I could. :oops: :x
Seisyll ap Dyfnwal

ebbwboy wrote:
Seisyll ap Dyfnwal wrote:Could we please have a section where people can discuss rugby matters yn 'yr hen iaith', similar to that on the Gwl@d board? :D
Syniad da, SaD. Mae nifer o bobl sy'n cefnogi Glynebwy yn siarad Cymraeg a byddai'n dda cael rywle i sgwrsio heb achosi problemau i'r fwyafrif sydd ddim yn deall.
Diolch o galon am dy gefnogaeth, fachgen o Lynebwy. Hoffwn i feddwl nad ydw i'n achosi problemau i neb
(Many thanks for your support, ebbwboy. I'd like to think I'm not causing problems for anyone.) :lol:
Graham

Post by Graham »

Seisyll ap Dyfnwal wrote:Diolch o galon am dy gefnogaeth, fachgen o Lynebwy. Hoffwn i feddwl nad ydw i'n achosi problemau i neb
(Many thanks for your support, ebbwboy. I'd like to think I'm not causing problems for anyone.) :lol:
Admin is working away for the weekend, but drop him a pm and have a chat with him (he's very good is our Tony). 8)

Besides, maybe I can pick up some of the language then. :wink:

Pob lwc brawd.
Seisyll ap Dyfnwal

Graham wrote:Pob lwc brawd.
Da iawn Graham, ti'n dysgu. :wink:
Graham

Post by Graham »

Seisyll ap Dyfnwal wrote:
Diolch yn fawr syr.

It's blydi embarrassing for me mun, as my dad is excellent with it, and I should have learned years ago. Whenever I'm trying to get a rough translation, I cheat and go to things like the on-line dictionary Geiriadur.net. It doesn't teach me anything about stringing phrases together, but it can help a bit with basic vocabulary.

My dad on the other hand (70 years old and still wants to learn more) is looking for an advanced course book. Been to WH Smiths etc, and it seems you can get almost any flamin' language in the world except Welsh.
Seisyll ap Dyfnwal

Graham wrote:
Seisyll ap Dyfnwal wrote:
My dad on the other hand (70 years old and still wants to learn more) is looking for an advanced course book. Been to WH Smiths etc, and it seems you can get almost any flamin' language in the world except Welsh.
Have you visited the University of Glamorgan's Welsh Resources website? Here is the address:

http://welshpages.glam.ac.uk/DyfalDonc/CyrchuDD.html
Graham

Post by Graham »

Seisyll ap Dyfnwal wrote:Have you visited the University of Glamorgan's Welsh Resources website? Here is the address:

http://welshpages.glam.ac.uk/DyfalDonc/CyrchuDD.html
Cheers fella (iechyd da),

just been looking at that. I didn't realise there were two ways of counting in Welsh (yn Cymraeg?).

The modern way looks far easier, but if you need to tell someone the time (amser), you need the "proper method". Perhaps I'd be better off learning the old way first.

Excellent site, I'll have a look whenever I get a bit of time on my hands.

Cheers (Diolch yn fawr)

Graham