Gaps in the season

The place for discussion of those things not related to the Club, but beware there are limits!!

Moderators: admin, The ref, Henry Crun

chris

Gaps in the season

Post by chris »

With us now out of both the Fosters and National Cup, i've just noticed that we only have a guaranteed 4 games left... spread over the next 8 weeks...

The large gaps in the season can't be doing anything for supporters!

Why can't the international weekends be kept completely free and the fixtures moved to fill gaps over the next 8 weeks. Doesn't make any sense to me...

Anyone else got any views on this?
robert rees

Re: Gaps in the season

Post by robert rees »

Shouldn't be an issue if we had a good lge structure.

But with structure we have it shouldn't be done on International weekends
viewfromthestand

Post by viewfromthestand »

I have to agree with you Chris, the season is so disjointed. It must affect players too as they have two games on the bounce three weeks off etc.etc. As a supporter I ask why do we have to play on a Friday night. We played Carmarthan Quins on the Scottish weekend and now Ponty on the French weekend. Firstly, the crowd is affected as people like to go out and find a pub to watch the international game and secondly, people do actually fork out the huge amounts required to watch the Welsh team play and finally the under 20's are on the box. As most clubs charge £10 to gain entry people tend to stay at home on a Friday saving that £10 for Saturdays kebab on the way home. There are too many blank weekends in the premiership which are governed by other factors such as the British and Irish Cup and the national team. I like tradition 2.30pm Saturday afternoon is game time. A game a week in the league and no games during 6 nations. Just like the good old days. 6 NATIONS PLAYED OVER 5 WEEKENDS. In the words of Topal in the hit movie Fiddler on the Roof TRADITION!!1 TRADITION !!! TRADITION!!!!!!
david brown

Post by david brown »

The W R U could not organise the proverbial in a brewery Booked a holiday last year from MAY the 5 th Never thought we would still be playing league fixtures This means that I have only one more home game I can see .Will never understand their pattern of thinking ,come to think of it neither do they .
Malpas69

Post by Malpas69 »

Taken from the Pontypridd Supporters Forum:

Dear Member,

Request for financial support from Members and Shareholders of Pontypridd RFC

I am writing to all members and shareholders of Pontypridd RFC to seek your assistance with the short term financial issues of our Club. The long term financial stability of the club is secure. However, we do need your help for the immediate challenges facing us.

Since 2003 we have faced many problems. They have been overcome because of the loyal backing of our supporters, both financially and by enthusiastically supporting the team. Ponty supporters, within the Premiership and in the British Irish Cup, were, and still are, the envy of every club we play against: win lose or draw you have supported the team come what may. We can proudly state that, as a club, we represent our community of Pontypridd and the Rhondda and will continue to do so.

In late 2015 we embarked upon an ambitious plan to procure a 3G Rugby pitch. After six months of negotiations with Sport Wales, RCT Council, Coleg Y Cymoedd, WRU and with the assistance of our local MP Owen Smith, the club achieved its aim and we now have a brand new 3G pitch. The objectives of providing the communities of Pontypridd and the Rhondda with state of the art sporting facilities, and ensuring that all age groups have the very best opportunities to reach their sporting potential, will be realised over the coming years.

However, all long term financial commitments require a period of time to bed in and for income to be generated. It is to this end that I am writing to all supporters to seek your assistance. You will be aware that Pontypridd RFC made a big financial commitment with the installation of the 3G pitch and this, coupled with the changes to the Principality league playing structure, has resulted in the club experiencing financial challenges with cash flow; for example, we do not have a home game until 06 May 2017.

The Board, as a matter of club policy, do not wish to borrow additional external funding and incur a debt which could have a long term debilitating effect on the playing side. As stated above, support to Pontypridd RFC is second to none and it is to that support that the Board now turns. You can make a financial contribution to the club by purchase of shares, donations or sponsorship. The details for each of these are overleaf and I have taken the liberty of attaching the relevant forms for you to consider.

Our hope is that you will assist, in any way that you feel able.

Sincerely,

Stephen Reardon
Hon. Chief Executive

Everyone is struggling as the lack of fixtures is starting to take its toll. Hopefully this season is a 'one off' and we can return to normality next year, though knowing the WRU, they will see it very much as a success.
Crime in multi-storey car parks - that is just wrong on so many different levels!!
Stevey

Post by Stevey »

Of course this is no surprise because of such a disjointed season, heard most clubs are suffering.
Hope next season isn't going to be another guinea pig year for us.
viewfromthestand

Apparently , next season is going to be a mirror image of this season. The difference being we will play the sides we played away at home and vice versa in the first part of next season. It will then be like this season where top eight play off and bottom eight play off. I understand the WRU do put a limited amount of money into the club game in Wales but I would push to break away from the union with all other clubs and form a company who can deal with the day to day running of the club game in Wales. I know this will never happen. The WRU is badly in need of total modernisation. it could do with a deep cleanse and get rid of the old time hangers on. Get some bright new visionaries in place. People who can see further than the end of their noses.Do away with those who are only in attendance to further the interest of their own little heaven. This season I have heard real hard core fans of our club saying I ve had enough of this and I m not bothering to watch next week. As I said in one of my earlier posts we can openly see that the numbers are dwindling week after week. This can be directly attributed to the disjointed nature of the season. People like to watch a game on a Saturday but with so many Saturdays now free of rugby they find other things to do. Then they enjoy those other things and watching rugby becomes a hit and miss concept. I used to see one group of men who never missed a home game, two being former EVRFC committee men who have nt seen a game at home this season. They not only paid their £10 entry they would spend two or three hours in the club post match having a few beers. These are people we as a club can ill afford to lose but right throughout the game in Wales this is happening.
bloodknock

Post by bloodknock »

It`s a WRU disaster season for the league. Have you ever seen half a season`s results and points wiped away to nothing and starting again. Madness! No wonder people vote with their feet and stop going.
CJ

Post by CJ »

this season is a shambles, but unfortunately we will see the same again next season.

As has been said, too many Saturdays with no rugby. Why do the WRU even bother to schedule games when there is an international on. It just leads to club secretaries having more headaches to deal with.

Normally never miss a game, but I think I have only managed to make 1 of our Friday night fixtures this season. I hate missing games but have other commitments on Friday nights. I sadly will again be missing this Fridays fixture.
viewfromthestand

Like CJ I am missing the biggest game of the season in my eyes. I don t like missing games, it is a waste of an amount of season ticket money. Don t miss many but in this part or episode 2 of the season I have missed Carmarthan Quins away I was in Scotland, I m missing Ponty home due to family commitments and I m not going to RGC1404 as I went when we played before Christmas and my pocket does nt stretch that far, plus we had no welcome whatsoever and I got very annoyed by the contrived atmosphere.So in the seven games we were scheduled to play I ve missed three. I ll be there for Merthyr at home and should we make the playoffs I ll be there too. This season could be the death knell for many of our supporters. I feel for the club secretary as he has a thankless task. I hope when the season splits next year we have an extended period of snow and all the games need to be rescheduled on block and we get rugby weekly when the 6 nations has ended and the skylarks are heralding spring is on it s way.