Newport

Whether you're looking forward to kick-off or the final whistle has blown, this is the place for supporters of EVRFC

Moderators: admin, The ref, Henry Crun

david brown

Re: Newport

Post by david brown »

Promised the wife i would refrain from contributing on this site However to see our great club become a laughing stock is truly heart breaking.Game after game ,week after week we show no indication of having tried to erase our continued mistakes.We mix and max our team selection,the players run around looking completely lost ,yet still we plod on being an easy five pointer for just average teams.Surely the coaching staff are aware of all this ?yet nothing is done about it .Honestly believe the door in the LAST CHANCE saloon should be firmly shut enough is ,enough.
Stevey

Post by Stevey »

John Coffey, just wondering, did you go to the game?
The only reference I observed from you is about Andy Evans.
Just wondering.
JohnCoffey

Post by JohnCoffey »

Stevey wrote:John Coffey, just wondering, did you go to the game?
The only reference I observed from you is about Andy Evans.
Just wondering.
No problems Stevey – appreciate the interest.
I made the point that I couldn’t add anything that has not already been said by David Brown, Chris, Malpas or Topspectator or that has not already been posted by them, myself & many others after previous games – hence my “Groundhog day” comment. Saves time to just cut & paste as each game is played.

However, a little further analysis specific to Newport – our players are every bit as good as those in the Newport team (& “average” as others have described it) so how do we concede to them 42 points – indeed I thought the performances of Rhys Francis, Ronny Kynes & Cam Regan were as good as any players on either side, & better than most.

We played simple one-out rugby & made no line breaks that I can remember. Newport, whose players are no better than ours managed to fashion one-out rugby, two-out rugby, weren’t afraid to go wide, played off 9 & off 10 & & scored 2 tries down our wings (which has become common) & 3 tries from driving mauls (which hasn’t). Our defensive structure falls apart when any side strings 3 or more passes together – not got a clue what happened when their sub 9 romped home from 40 metres !

A further point – we have now lost to Pontypridd, Cross Keys & Newport by more points in the return game than in the first game – so who is improving & who isn’t ?

Regarding Andy Evans – just questioning the rationale behind a side that is bottom of the division letting a player go who walks into the match day squad of a side whose league position is way above us & which can put 42 points passed us, I thought we were trying combinations.
Just wondering.
Stevey

Post by Stevey »

Whilst I know the coaches have come in for a lot of flak, I have to say our 3 yellow cards hurt us and coaches cannot be blamed for that. I know at training the breakdown is focused on and apparently I heard our players were not listening to the ref's instructions on Sunday. Discipline is essential, too many penalties is killing us, so give the coaches a break or penalise players who are expensive in this respect.