Merthyr

Whether you're looking forward to kick-off or the final whistle has blown, this is the place for supporters of EVRFC

Moderators: admin, The ref, Henry Crun

viewfromthestand

Merthyr

Post by viewfromthestand »

We will see the return to our colours tomorrow of a certain very colourful former captain. Yes you heard it here Mr Hudd is at no4 tomorrow . i saw him in a meeting with the chairman and Alex Codling in Costa earlier today.
html junkie

Re: Merthyr

Post by html junkie »

viewfromthestand wrote:We will see the return to our colours tomorrow of a certain very colourful former captain. Yes you heard it here Mr Hudd is at no4 tomorrow . i saw him in a meeting with the chairman and Alex Codling in Costa earlier today.
Codling? In Costa? That's rubbish. He always has his elevenses in Morrison's cafe.
Martyn Madden: That's show business
Me: **** off!
jadegoodiesfridge

Post by jadegoodiesfridge »

viewfromthestand wrote:We will see the return to our colours tomorrow of a certain very colourful former captain. Yes you heard it here Mr Hudd is at no4 tomorrow . i saw him in a meeting with the chairman and Alex Codling in Costa earlier today.
........and Alex Codlin ?.......hmmm !....interesting.
Topspectator

Post by Topspectator »

Yet again interesting back row selection second row at number 8 and proven back row on the bench hope this works great to see Mr Hudd back on the team sheet
Phillip Grey

Post by Phillip Grey »

Wonderful news to see Damien back in the team.

I noticed he was spectating last Saturday, with his Steelmen branded clothes on.

Best of luck tonight, I won’t be there I’m afraid as an evening kick off in these temperatures is bit cold for my old bones!
Will be there in spirit though.
One Smart Fellow, He Felt Smart
Phillip Grey

Post by Phillip Grey »

Oh dear, just found out the score 57-7 with a late interception try all to show for us.
Malpas69

Post by Malpas69 »

I don't know what to say that hasn't already been said in previous threads. Absolutely woeful. It seems that tackling is very much optional at the moment and we seem to be defending so narrow. I lost count of the number of times that Merthyr got behind us, seemingly with ease. They should have won by a lot more than they did.

Our scrum struggled again and our lineout was simply awful. We could not even win our own throw. A stupid yellow card from the kick off put us 12 points down in the blink of an eye and we never recovered. That said, we were never going to win. Merthyr could be in the showers and we still wouldn't score!

We appear to be going on the field with the objective of containing the opposition instead of attempting to do anything positive in terms of attacking. I still can't see what game plan we are trying to play. We are not playing a territory game, we are not playing a kicking game, we are not playing a passing/offloading game (we haven't got the players for that) and we are not playing a pick and drive game. If someone can tell me what tactics we are endeavouring to play, can they please let me know.

Someone posted in a previous thread that they thought that we were making slight improvements game on game. I am sorry, but I really cannot see that, I think that we are getting worse if anything. We always used to play we a lot of "dog", but that seems a lifetime away. We are now an easy target for a four try bonus point.

If there was relegation this year, we would be right down there in contention - thankfully, we have a stay of execution for another year at least. A lot of these same players won the league only two years ago, how can we become so bad as a team in such a short space of time?
Crime in multi-storey car parks - that is just wrong on so many different levels!!
JohnCoffey

Post by JohnCoffey »

Another good post by Malpas which pretty much says it all. No doubt he’ll come in for some criticism but he should be applauded for being so forthright.
Malpas69 wrote:I don't know what to say that hasn't already been said in previous threads.
Everything has already been said & continues to be said with alarming consistency after every game.
Malpas69 wrote:Absolutely woeful. It seems that tackling is very much optional at the moment and we seem to be defending so narrow. I lost count of the number of times that Merthyr got behind us, seemingly with ease.
We have no defensive structure or strategy, no line speed & any side that strings 3 passes together can get behind us. It has been the same all season & we have still not fixed it in the coaching process or through selection.
Malpas69 wrote:They should have won by a lot more than they did.
True
Malpas69 wrote:We appear to be going on the field with the objective of containing the opposition instead of attempting to do anything positive in terms of attacking. I still can't see what game plan we are trying to play. We are not playing a territory game, we are not playing a kicking game, we are not playing a passing/offloading game (we haven't got the players for that) and we are not playing a pick and drive game. If someone can tell me what tactics we are endeavouring to play, can they please let me know.
We have no game plan, no attacking strategy, & no strike moves & this has all been very evident right from the start of the season. The club should call for an open & frank meeting with all the players, with no holds barred, giving them impunity from grudges or coach revenge.
Malpas69 wrote:Someone posted in a previous thread that they thought that we were making slight improvements game on game. I am sorry, but I really cannot see that, I think that we are getting worse if anything. We always used to play we a lot of "dog", but that seems a lifetime away. We are now an easy target for a four try bonus point.
Yep – but don’t worry, …..the coaches are trying different combinations to find their best team, they want to introduce their own style onto the way we play the game, it will take time for the players to understand what the coaches want to introduce, we are making slight improvements every game & everything will be fine by the second half of the season, & the coaches are well thought of in college rugby…. ! The 5th game in a row that the opposition have improved their score against us relative to the first encounter. How on earth can anyone believe that we are improving ? Occasional glimpses of decent performance is not continuous improvement.
At least we can’t possibly do worse against Bedwas !
Malpas69 wrote:If there was relegation this year, we would be right down there in contention - thankfully, we have a stay of execution for another year at least. A lot of these same players won the league only two years ago, how can we become so bad as a team in such a short space of time?
Unfortunately, the reason is blindingly obvious, many have recognised it for some time &, in the interests of the long term future of the club, I don’t believe that it can be ignored any longer. It is never pleasant to see anyone removed from their jobs but the club is more important than anyone, & those decisions need to be made now. The club doesn’t have a game for 3 weeks so now is an opportune time to make the coaching changes necessary to give us a chance next season. Even if we have to appoint interim replacements.
This is the stark if brutal reality of pro & semi-pro rugby.

The club needs to be put first, otherwise we face the probability that good players will leave, good players will not join & we will risk relegation next season.
Topspectator

Post by Topspectator »

We are just so predictable defend so narrow and allow sides to have easy run ins down the flanks.
Our scrum is creaking and im not sure what the answers are.
We seem to pick up a few more injuries hopefully they will be fit and luckily have a few weeks off.
Its bleak and painful to watch but i cant see there being any changes on the coaching front.
They have ruined a good side and who would want to take us forward cos thats the only way we can go but with the current set up we are certainly going backwards.
bloodknock

Post by bloodknock »

Just a shame that all the blocks that were put in place by Jason Strange, have now all been thoroughly dismantled. Smell the coffee EBBW, it took a long time to get back after the last relegation!
Phillip Grey

Post by Phillip Grey »

It does feel that 6 years of hard work by the previous coaches, the chairman, the officers and the other volunteers of the club has all been lost in 4 months.

All the above have all worked tirelessly to get us where we were, and it’s extremely sad to see that and morale destroyed in such a short space of time.
david brown

Post by david brown »

HERE HERE,What concerns me is the number of Ostrich who bury their heads in the sand .who think it does not matter if we lose every game this season and everything will turn out alright in the future.What utter nonsense we have a mountain to climb from a re building point of view which must start now.It is no good waiting until next season and someone will wave the proverbial magic wand .We face next season hoping to simply avoid relegation ,not very ambitious but a brutal fact.As has been stressed in previous entries ,how are we going to attract any new players to a club which looks one of the favourites to finish bottom of the league.?>

?
Malpas69

Post by Malpas69 »

Let's face it, if we carry on in this vain, there is absolutely no way that we will be dining at the Premiership table come the end of next season. Skewen or Trebanos anyone?
Crime in multi-storey car parks - that is just wrong on so many different levels!!
viewfromthestand

Post by viewfromthestand »

Every post from David does raise a smile . I was mortally offended last week when he did nt support my post when it looked like he loved it and then when he was seconded by John Coffey my week went from bad to worse. I would love to know who are considered ostriches. I ll eagerly await the post. I was at the game on Friday and can only say it was a massive disappointment. We did nt compete at any level. We look like a disjointed 23. We were over run by a good Merthyr side . There was not a positive coming out of this game.
I can t think of any Ebbw Vale player who was doing a jig coming off the park, I can t recall any supporter being cock a hoop about the result and I know the chairman and coaches were not exactly all smiles. Not one person who cares about the club will be happy with the result of Fridays match.
However, we are a club in transition. Please please humour me and tell me how we can fix this current predicament ? Without spending any money. Tell me what players are available at a cost we can afford. Once you have done that I would love to know who you want to coach us at a level of payment we can afford. It will make a good read.
Things are not right but it does nt mean that all involved are not trying hard. Some of our senior group of players are devastated with our results. They have never experienced loss on this level and they don t post but they read what is posted and it does upset them.

Just to clarify from one of my previous posts who certain players are Matt Allen was the no 8 who was immense for Bedwas earlier this season . We talked to him pre season and were outbid by Bedwas. He s now with Ealing Trailfinders for a fee of £75,000 plus £250 per game that is the sort of money we have available for the whole squad.
html junkie

Post by html junkie »

david brown wrote:HERE HERE,What concerns me is the number of Ostrich who bury their heads in the sand .who think it does not matter if we lose every game this season and everything will turn out alright in the future.What utter nonsense we have a mountain to climb from a re building point of view which must start now.It is no good waiting until next season and someone will wave the proverbial magic wand .We face next season hoping to simply avoid relegation ,not very ambitious but a brutal fact.As has been stressed in previous entries ,how are we going to attract any new players to a club which looks one of the favourites to finish bottom of the league.?>

?
So, what do you suggest? I mean other than sacking the coaches and buying in new ones (that we can't afford) or introducing some experienced, top quality players (that we can't afford). Besides, we've already got quite a few experienced, top quality players (and I think we all agree on that). We can't afford these potential 'solutions'.

I also pick up on the post by 'viewfromthestand' and comment that nobody thinks everything is perfect, far from it. Occasionally, some things have improved but this has not been sustained. Our form is awful and everyone is disappointed. The difference is that some of us recognise the utter futility of posting comments on here that slag off coaches, players or whoever. The futility works on two levels. Level one, this is a message board that is nothing to do with the club so posting things here, whether positive or negative, has no direct effect on policy or practice, although it might upset any player, coach or manager who reads it. As a place to rant, rave and let off steam, crack on with it, but don't expect that to change anything. Level two, we can all post whatever we like but here's the harsh reality. We're a club in transition (as vfts put it). There's no one available for that quick fix. "We are where we are" and "it is what it is."

Finally, David, you are an educated and respectable gentlemen who loves this club, as we all do, but perhaps you should refrain from the name calling. Ostrich indeed!
Martyn Madden: That's show business
Me: **** off!