Bedwas game

Whether you're looking forward to kick-off or the final whistle has blown, this is the place for supporters of EVRFC

Moderators: admin, The ref, Henry Crun

viewfromthestand

Bedwas game

Post by viewfromthestand »

Here we go again back to the grindstone. Lots of happenings since my last post. Two coaches left and one in to replace them. Obviously others to follow . An abundance of Dragons running out in our shirt tomorrow 3 we know well in Dorian , Carl and Will Talbot Davies. We are joined for the first time by Gerard Ellis . Let s hope that we flo. I m sure we ll see a distinct improvement over our last performance over at Merthyr. I m hoping for a victory so will be sleeping with my lucky rabbits foot and all
my fingers and toes crossed. The team looks good on paper . We have had some quality coaches in place . Given a fair wind I think we can pull it off. Come on lads and let Bedwas #feelthesteel.
JohnCoffey

Re: Bedwas game

Post by JohnCoffey »

The first weekend for a few months when I've viewed a game with optimism.
Not only has our major problem been removed but has been replaced with 2 outstanding interim coaches & a permanent replacement soon to start who has significant experience & a successful track record & reputation at this level.
They have selected what appears to be a strong side & Bedwas appear to be missing a few, so not only are we entitled to expect a better result than the first game, but our first win against Bedwas for 3 games.
I am confidently expecting a W.
marshomano

Post by marshomano »

What a game... What a performance... What a defence... Proud of every player today from 1 to 22..great first half laid the foundations and a solid defence second half sealed the victory. Shame about the yellows but I'm not letting anything negative change the way im feeling today. what an early Xmas present!!
Phillip Grey

Post by Phillip Grey »

Wow! What a contrast.

Absolutely brilliant performance Ebbw Vale, that defence in the final quarter was sublime and definitely back to the Ebbw we all knew was there.
Three excellent tries scored as well, all by the backs.

Well done and congratulations to all, let’s build on this and get another big win against Llanelli RFC next Saturday.

Am now really looking forward to it.

May I also wish all my fellow supporters a very Merry Christmas.
One Smart Fellow, He Felt Smart
jadegoodiesfridge

Post by jadegoodiesfridge »

It hasn't been many times this season you saw the Ebbw team chomping at the bit prior to the game.Great atmosphere on the bank as well.The last time we played Bedwas they were 35-5 up at half time.A couple of months later and they didn't score a point against 12 men incredible defence from Ebbw in that final ten minutes.absolutely incredible.Those awful heavy defeats are now a horrible distant memory.Thought all the boys played a stormer today.Rhys Francis for me was bloody brilliant,and a special mention too for Dai who was in his element playing alongside Dorian,who was just brilliant.Greg Woods was standing by us on the bank,and he seemed to be enjoying the game as much as the most ardent Ebbw addict.A great day...
Fosco

Post by Fosco »

Whoa there boys! A good win, much needed in current circumstances, but let's not get our bloomers in a lather over it: that was the Bedwas B team out today.

We were lacklustre and static for a good 30 minutes in that second half.

I'm as keen to clutch at straws as the next fella and I'm truly glad of the green shoots of hope and optimism that were clearly there today. Some deft and thrilling little kicks and some festive reminders of the team we used to be (and will be again no doubt).

Well done Ebbw! Glad to see us back on track. Excuse me if my pants remain unsoiled for the time being though. Sheesh!
Never mind mun - we're playing downhill second half!
david brown

Post by david brown »

Typical of my luck,laid up with a chest infection missing the game.Having played and coached the game ,the biggest lift in morale is a win .Yesterday we got that win ,so let us hope this is the first step on the ladder to getting back where we belong up there with the better teams in the league.Well done lads ,it has made XMAS for so many of the people connected to this club,
viewfromthestand

Post by viewfromthestand »

Having slept with every digit crossed and my lucky rabbits foot tied round my neck , we did what was needed. A win.
It was so noticeable that the intensity we warmed up with was so many levels higher than at any other point of this season. We looked like a team who wanted to play. In the first 30 seconds we saw a centre cutting through the opposition with ease. A sight that has been as rare a rocking horse poop this year. A couple of phases later we scored the first of our tries. Our line out functioned, our scrum was decent and for once the maul worked. We did fade as an attacking force in the second half but our defence was top drawer. Even when the ref had his yellow card frenzy and left us with 12 players on the park we looked controlled. We showed discipline when Bedwas threw the kitchen sink at us. The result has resulted in a serious hangover this morning. It was worth it. Great display from Dorian at 10 . He put so many booming kicks in and the several he did off the outside of his boot which banana d off with precision could not be faulted. Dorian deservedly had the MOM award.
So we move on to next week to the second half of the season where all the teams get merged and it becomes one league , we need to keep up the momentum now and continue to build on the foundations that were laid yesterday,
Could nt quite get my head around why Bedwas had 19 changes to their starting line up which surely weakened their team I suppose they thought they could send any 23 up and on our previous performances this year they d have beaten us. Must have missed the fact that we have had Jason and Ceri running matters. A big well done to those two you have given me and many like me a very Merry Christmas.
Merry Christmas to everyone and a very Happy New Year.
jadegoodiesfridge

Post by jadegoodiesfridge »

Actually I've just compared the two Bedwas line ups ( yep,nothing on the telly again this Xmas Eve) and 13 of yesterday's 23 featured in the 54-5 win in October.Still think there was a lot of positives for Ebbw.
chris

Post by chris »

Such an important morale boosting win. I agree with many of the points already stated, there was definitely an increase in intensity pre-match, we also had the great luxury of someone controlling the game at 10 and pulling the strings and with a strong ball-carrying centre in Carl Meyer at 13.

I worry a little that Dorian, Carl and Will were three of our better performers yesterday - and we probably can't rely on their continued availability. Up to the other players to step up if/when required though I guess.

Thought Lewis Young didn't look out of place at all at 8, which is great credit given he's stepping up a couple of divisions from Aberdare.

One other concern was the restart, we looked pretty shaky and coughed up ball a few times in that phase of play, but i'm sure that our (temporary) coaches will have spotted that too and will look to fix it ahead of next weekend.

All in all a great performance, and importantly one where we seemed to be back to the level of desire and commitment that we come to expect. Well done all! Let's keep it going against Llanelli.
Stevey

Post by Stevey »

Just read the match report on Bedwas site(new tablet for Xmas see) and it was quite complimentary and honest I felt.
What else is there to do on Christmas day? :D
JohnCoffey

Post by JohnCoffey »

Well it wasn't a great 80 minute performance but without getting bogged down in too much analysis, there were many areas in which it was a whole lot better than we are used to seeing served up.
After 5 month's of either no direction or confusing direction we can't expect it all to be put right in such a small period of time but the rot has stopped and it was a much needed win & the first time we have improved a result in the return game this season. So the effect on moral will be huge - the players looked like they thought they could win & then that they expected to win, which has been missing for a long time.
The defence by 12 players was all down to attitude - & it's great just to see that return.
It's amazing the difference it can make just by knowing what's expected of you & knowing what your colleagues expect of you in game situations.
Obviously the Dragons players helped, but really only Dorian & his reading of game situations can be argued to have had any real significance but the pre-match warm-up was clearly more professional & the use of the bench appropriate to the game requirements rather than decided on Friday night or drawing balls from a bag !