Llanelli

Whether you're looking forward to kick-off or the final whistle has blown, this is the place for supporters of EVRFC

Moderators: admin, The ref, Henry Crun

viewfromthestand

Llanelli

Post by viewfromthestand »

team to face Llanelli RFC tomorrow snow and ice permitting.
an Haymond, Stefan Thomas, Dominic Franchi, Dai Langdon, Elis-Wyn Benham; Dorian Jones, Dai Jones; Ross Jones, Rhys Francis, Rob Sevenoaks; Lance Randall, Rhys Clarke; Cameron Regan, Ronny Kynes (capt), Lewis Young.
Bench: Gerard Ellis, Joe Franchi, Josh James, Mathew Williams, Kristian Parker, Srdan Majkic, Calum Morris. Lewis Dennett.

Strong looking team , with Dorian commanding from no 10. Disappointed that Carl Meyer is not with us, great to see Ellis Wyn Benham making his first start after his brief cameo last week. Have heard lots of good stuff about him it s finally here the merged premiership. I hope we can move forward from this point.
Malpas69

Re: Llanelli

Post by Malpas69 »

What are the chances of the game actually going ahead with the weather, conditions etc?
Crime in multi-storey car parks - that is just wrong on so many different levels!!
Stevey

Post by Stevey »

Malpas69 wrote:What are the chances of the game actually going ahead with the weather, conditions etc?
The snow has gone in my back garden and the forecast is milder.........but we not playing in my back garden. :D
Stevey

Post by Stevey »

Just come back from EXP, ground has dried out considerably compared to yesterday when there were visible pools of water, testament to the drainage especially after the rain we have had overnight.
GAME ON!
Stevey

Post by Stevey »

And a great game too, think Ebbw deserved this result, played for eachother.
Gogs next week, cup game.
Phillip Grey

Post by Phillip Grey »

Well done Ebbw Vale, brilliant second half performance to deservedly take a bonus point victory.

Apart from a purple patch for 10mins, thought we dominated all aspects of the game in the second 40mins, scoring some great tries in the process.

Excellent way to sign off 2017 and the league table makes more comfortable viewing than it has all year.
One Smart Fellow, He Felt Smart
html junkie

Post by html junkie »

Ebbw’s best performance so far this season. It’s great to see players confident and willing to express themselves and take risks, all built on simply knowing their role. Jason and Ceri can’t be thanked enough for what they’ve achieved in a month, and they’ll hand on to Greg Woods a transformed squad.

One thing I’d like to see: Toby Fricker given a go at outside centre, and that’s no criticism of other players, just something worth trying, in my non-expert opinion.
Martyn Madden: That's show business
Me: **** off!
chris

Post by chris »

Nice to have back to back wins and build a bit of momentum. I actually don't think we played as well as we did against Bedwas a week earlier, but in patches some of our rugby was excellent. The highlight for me was Dan Haymond's counter attacking, which was a real threat all game - a well deserved man of the match performance.

I would agree re: Toby Fricker. He would certainly give us a strong running option at 13, and I think Dai Langdon is a good enough ball player to create space for him to try and exploit.

I'm interested to see how we match up against RGC next weekend. Whilst I get the feeling that the East conference was significantly stronger than the West, it will be good to compare ourselves against the best side from the West.
jadegoodiesfridge

Post by jadegoodiesfridge »

Totally agree with all above comments.Jason and Ceri have been a God's send. Sorry guys, but I'm gonna have a gripe here.I thought the constant barracking of the ref by certain individuals yesterday was bang out of order.This wasn't good old fashioned banter this was bloody relentless , And I actually felt for the young lad .He needed help from his assistants yesterday and he was sadly let down.It wasn't his fault some decisions didn't go our way( or even Llanelli's way for that matter ).I'm not suggesting all of us there were to blame,hell ! I have a moan at the ref as the next guy,but it was just one or two individuals who ,well,were an embarrassment really. Totally agree about Fricker though HTML .
viewfromthestand

Post by viewfromthestand »

What a way to bring in the New Year. I think in the immortal words of Johnny Mathis "a ray of hope glistens in the air". After a dire first half performance where we squandered three try scoring chances and looked mediocre. Llanelli had the upper hand for about ten minutes of the first half and that was it. What wand Jason and Ceri waved in the dressing room can I make the first bid on it. Second half we showed a commitment and ability we have not seen before this season. We looked class from the first try of the half when Steph Thomas romped home in the right corner. The dam was breached but this was a dogged Llanelli team they had a finger in the hole. We soon let a few more bombs drop and the dam was down . Dorian showed why he is a regional player, he oozed class, did not miss a kick from anywhere. Have to say if there was an award for the kick of the season I would give it straight\ to him now for the one that he put over to take us to 6 points in the last seconds of the first half.I believe it was the foundation of the second half resurgence.
It was fabulous to get the win and with the gross stupidity of this league structure we have jumped up to 7th in the table. Not that I m complaining. RGC in the cup next weekend and they ll be looking for our scalp but with a fair wind and a week more of the Strange/Jones partnership we can go into the game full of confidence.
As a lot of our addicts go to the steelhouse festival Saturday headliners THE STRANGE /JONES partnership . they are not singing or strumming . they are standing on thie stage and we all shall bow before them. They are not the messiahs they are two brilliant coaches. Thank you both from the bottom of my heart
I m saddened to hear from my dear friend Mr Fridge that once again we have had so called supporters abusing the officials. There is a page in the programme asking for this to stop. I as the announcer have requested that we don t do it. Please guys control your mouths it s your club who will suffer. Rest assured there has never been a referee who has changed his mind because of some wisdom shouted from the bank. This comment is not a reflection on every supporter but if the hat fits wear it.
By the way if the young lad Ben Brakespeare made mistakes he would hear about them in his debrief as he was having a WRU refereeing assessment and also the head of reffing in Wales was sat in the stand, no doubt watching his every move. I m sure the way the assessors pen was moving there will be a few talking points. Let his bosses tell him , we have no need.
JohnCoffey

Post by JohnCoffey »

I thought the first half was pretty much a dire non-affair by both sides but we have been left behind in non-affairs before this season and only trailing by 10-6 at half time I was still pretty confident that we would go on to win – which we did with comfort & dominated the 2nd half with a very good team performance.

First bonus point win of the season !

No complaints about the Mom award to Dan Haymond at the game & to Dorian Jones by the press but I thought that there were a couple of real contenders in the back row who could easily have been given the accolade.

Back to opinions – can’t agree with the idea to play Toby Fricker at centre – he doesn’t display any of the instincts of a centre. He shows much potential as a winger & that potential has not received any 1:1 development this season & he has suffered from the performances of a poorly coached side. I believe that it is as a winger that his talents need to be developed.

We obviously lose the Dragons players for the RGC cup game but other than that I think we should stick with more or less the same side rather than experiment – perhaps moving Dai Langdon to 10 as we won't have Dorian. We are building habits, combinations & momentum & we should continue to do so.
html junkie

Post by html junkie »

JohnCoffey wrote:
Back to opinions – can’t agree with the idea to play Toby Fricker at centre – he doesn’t display any of the instincts of a centre. He shows much potential as a winger & that potential has not received any 1:1 development this season & he has suffered from the performances of a poorly coached side. I believe that it is as a winger that his talents need to be developed.
I disagree John. He's young, fast and strong and he can be taught to play 13. It's nothing to do with instincts and everything to do with coaching and practice, as I'm sure you'll agree if you think it through.
JohnCoffey

Post by JohnCoffey »

html junkie wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:
I disagree John. He's young, fast and strong and he can be taught to play 13. It's nothing to do with instincts and everything to do with coaching and practice, as I'm sure you'll agree if you think it through.
I always think things through HTML & while coaching & practice can make a player better it can't make anyone perform at an elite level at something they're not - otherwise any player could be coached to play any position. What you are saying is that with coaching & practice Toby (for example) could become a 9 or a 10, or even a 6 or 7, or Dai Jones (for example) a 13 or W, or Ronny Kynes (for example) a 9 or 10 or 15.

Or a Wing in East 3 coached to become a 10 in the Premiership !

Clearly I've gone to extremes to prove a point & although very important - as the reality of this season will testify - it is not "everything to do with coaching" & the basic instincts must be there, as I'm sure you'll agree if you think it through.
html junkie

Post by html junkie »

JohnCoffey wrote:
html junkie wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:
I always think things through HTML & while coaching & practice can make a player better it can't make anyone perform at an elite level at something they're not - otherwise any player could be coached to play any position. What you are saying is that with coaching & practice Toby (for example) could become a 9 or a 10, or even a 6 or 7, or Dai Jones (for example) a 13 or W, or Ronny Kynes (for example) a 9 or 10 or 15.

Clearly I've gone to extremes to prove a point & although very important - as the reality of this season will testify - it is not "everything to do with coaching" & the basic instincts must be there, as I'm sure you'll agree if you think it through.
I was talking about the specific option of trying to coach a premiership quality 14 to become a premiership quality 13, not coaching a wing in East 3 to become a premiership 10. You've attempted to belittle my opinion with as outrageous and inappropriate an example of 'reductio ad absurdum' as I've ever seen. It's my very favourite logical fallacy, always guaranteed to make me laugh, as are you John, with your cheery disparagements and charming contradictions: it's genuinely amusing to read from you that coaching is now not the way to change performance, when your one, repeated argument this season has been that everything has lain at the feet of the coaches.
JohnCoffey

Post by JohnCoffey »

html junkie wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:

I was talking about the specific option of trying to coach a premiership quality 14 to become a premiership quality 13, not coaching a wing in East 3 to become a premiership 10. You've attempted to belittle my opinion with as outrageous and inappropriate an example of 'reductio ad absurdum' as I've ever seen. It's my very favourite logical fallacy, always guaranteed to make me laugh, as are you John, with your cheery disparagements and charming contradictions: it's genuinely amusing to read from you that coaching is now not the way to change performance, when your one, repeated argument this season has been that everything has lain at the feet of the coaches.
And in the case of our team performances & player development so it did, as most of the posters on here recognised. Bit of a volte face by yourself as you constantly criticised everyone who criticised the coaching !

I think your actual words were its "everything to do with coaching and practice". This is the point that I was taking up not the argument about Toby - I thought that was pretty clear !

I didn't attempt to belittle your opinion as outrageous and inappropriate as my introduction that "Clearly I've gone to extremes to prove a point", clearly demonstrated.

And what about your comment that its "nothing to do with instincts" ? Using the same sensitivity - did that not try to belittle my opinion ?

But happy New Year to you.