RGC

Whether you're looking forward to kick-off or the final whistle has blown, this is the place for supporters of EVRFC

Moderators: admin, The ref, Henry Crun

Stevey

RGC

Post by Stevey »

Going to be a tough one this weekend, but Ebbw can do it. Raise your game once more boys, you CAN do it.
viewfromthestand

RGC

Post by viewfromthestand »

Appears we ll have Dorian with us again Saturday . RGC coming down tomorrow on their battle bus. They ll be followed by the supporters motor bike and side car combination. Looking forward to the match. Lets hope the weather is kind. Another new face fresh from Dragons to the Ebbw team but will not release until the club announces the team. Go Ebbw
piglet

Re: RGC

Post by piglet »

Is the sidecar really necessary?
jadegoodiesfridge

Post by jadegoodiesfridge »

I thought Dorian had to play five games for us to avoid being cup tied ?....if I'm wrong..Hey ! Happy days.
Malpas69

Post by Malpas69 »

From the EVRFC Website:

This is the Ebbw Vale team to play Rugby Gogledd Cymru this Saturday afternoon, kicking off at 2:30 at Eugene Cross Park:

Dan Haymond, Stefan Thomas, Dominic Franchi, Dai Langdon, Toby Fricker; Dorian Jones, Dai Jones; Ross Jones, Rhys Francis, Josh James; Kristian Parker, Rhys Clarke; Cameron Regan, Ronny Kynes (capt), Lewis Young.

Bench: Mathew Williams, Ian George, Rob Sevenoaks, Ben Papp, Joe Franchi, Lewis Dennett, Sedan Majkic, Elis-Wyn Bevan.

The only comment I would make is around the lack of second row cover? Other than that, it looks like a pretty strong looking squad (again).
Crime in multi-storey car parks - that is just wrong on so many different levels!!
jadegoodiesfridge

What do you mean we haven't second row cover ! Chunky can slot in there no problem !
RS

Post by RS »

Malpas69 wrote:From the EVRFC Website:

This is the Ebbw Vale team to play Rugby Gogledd Cymru this Saturday afternoon, kicking off at 2:30 at Eugene Cross Park:

Dan Haymond, Stefan Thomas, Dominic Franchi, Dai Langdon, Toby Fricker; Dorian Jones, Dai Jones; Ross Jones, Rhys Francis, Josh James; Kristian Parker, Rhys Clarke; Cameron Regan, Ronny Kynes (capt), Lewis Young.

Bench: Mathew Williams, Ian George, Rob Sevenoaks, Ben Papp, Joe Franchi, Lewis Dennett, Sedan Majkic, Elis-Wyn Bevan.

The only comment I would make is around the lack of second row cover? Other than that, it looks like a pretty strong looking squad (again).
There's a newer version here: https://www.evrfc.co.uk/results/6th-jan/ without the typos and spelling errors, and with a change on the bench.
Don't forget, you read it here first. (Unless it's rubbish, then please assume you read it elsewhere.)
Phillip Grey

Post by Phillip Grey »

Strong looking squad, best of luck tomorrow Ebbw Vale.
One Smart Fellow, He Felt Smart
Stevey

RGC

Post by Stevey »

Well that was a performance sublime, conditions weren't great and probably favoured us but don't think RGC like mud much. Brilliant scrummaging which ultimately won us the match at the end. I'm off to have a cold shower now, I'll look forward to your comments in due course. Well done EBBW.
Phillip Grey

Post by Phillip Grey »

Oh my goodness what a match!

Super impressed with the attitude, skill and commitment shown by Ebbw Vale this afternoon.
I have never really singled out players in my posts, but if I were to start then would have to name the entire squad in my appraisals.

That was a good RGC side, who were playing with confidence themselves, so to go out and better them shows what a magnificent performance that really was.

Very proud Ebbw Vale supporter tonight, and not ashamed to admit have had a glass or two to celebrate that win.

Well done indeed.
One Smart Fellow, He Felt Smart
abergavenny plodder

Post by abergavenny plodder »

Heroes one and all. It is clear that RGC are a very good side but on a very cold and damp January afternoon at the head of the valley, ability is not always enough and Ebbw matched RGC in every facet of play. Great performance from the players and Dorian Jones tactical and place kicking really are top drawer. Supporters played their part too urging the team on in the final stages and great defence at the end knocking RGC back 40 metres through several phases of imperious defence. The scrum was immense and ultimately won us the game, and mention for the ref too who was fair and consistent throughout although thought his watch had stopped at the end like at the Arms Park 5 years ago. Looking forward to 2nd half of the season now with renewed belief. C,mon Ebbw !
Fosco

Post by Fosco »

Well done Ebbw! Wasn't expecting that, even with the recent improvements in performance. Superb result.
Never mind mun - we're playing downhill second half!
jadegoodiesfridge

What is it with Ian Davies and heart stopping Ebbw cup ties ? Have to say that was one of the most entertaining games I've seen at EXP in years.Skill factor wasn't great due to the conditions but for drama it was better than The Walking Dead.
What a performance from the boys yesterday. As someone said ,it was hard to single out anybody ,all the boys played their part in a fabulous team effort.and does Dorian ever miss ? Thank God he put that late late one over.Some of the supporters in front of us actually turned their backs because they were too nervous to watch. Heart stopping stuff. As for RGC they appeared to be blowing before an hour was up.Their two danger men in Botica and Loots didn't really get it together and it appeared the rest of the team were overly reliant on those two.I did read somewhere that they struggled to find a prop.Hard to believe when we are constantly reminded that RGC are a region. Theyre not Ruthin RFC for goodness sake .
It was sad to see many Ebbw supporters opted to stay home ,probably due to the weather.All I can say is ,you missed one helluva match.
viewfromthestand

Post by viewfromthestand »

Having just returned from my visit to cloud 9 I have sat down to reflect on what can only be considered a fine three game run for our boys. Yesterday was no spectacle of free flowing rugby and both sides made mistakes. I thought some of ours would cost us this game . We have developed a belief in the last month which should continue now under Greg s regime.
Our defence was straight out of the top drawer yesterday, especially that last five minute period. There was one hit by Dom Franchi on the RGC centre which made my bones ache for my perch on high. Thought our scrum was on top from early on in the game but when Oasky joined his fellow veteran Ross that was where the difference was made. They absolutely demolished the RGC scrum from the first of the second half. So a massive well done to all our front rowers yesterday. Dorian Jones was a class . Some of his touch finders were incredible. The one off the outside of his boot which banana d into touch was the work of a genius. Dan Haymond looks so capable at full back and as a last line of defence he s so reliable. Our back row looks balanced with Cam , Ronny and Lewis Young and we are now winning the 50/50 balls which we lost prior to this last couple of weeks. There s not a lot more to be said about the game as we are in round 2 .
I thought RGC got away with far too many cheap shots during the game and some of Ian (my watch has stopped ) Davies decisions left my flabber gasted . I can make comment on the RGC prop situation. They misread the rules of the cup and their understanding was that they could only use 22 players in the cup. as scrums could go passive but had to include 8 players.There was quite a debate pre warm up as to what would need to happen involving Mark Jones , Phil John ,Ian Davies and our own Darren Venn.
Can any of the posters who used to make comment of the use of three hookers on the bench , why have nt you made comment about Jason and Ceri using the same structure . Perhaps , you now realise we don t have any other back rowers available to us at the moment.As I told you every time you ranted. I think the use of James Lewis as a backs coach could be a positive as he has played at a high level under the guidance of some of modern rugby s top coaches so he won t be short of ideas.We need to continue this streak now and above all play for the badge
Finally happy new year all
JohnCoffey

Post by JohnCoffey »

RGC is a side who has good players who are well coached & I feared yesterday may be a game too far too soon - but the progression improves & in many respects that was even a step up from our performances against Bedwas & Llanelli. It may even have been a step up from anything - at least most things - last season as well !

We have knocked out the cup holders & the team that finished top of the west conference ! Could have got some great odds on that on a December Friday night at Merthyr.

We ground out a win with some good phase plays, a dominant scrum, some outstanding individual performances in a total team context & our line speed from everybody was the key - all of which was missing a month ago, so full credit to everyone. I can't add any more value to the content already posted, other than to say I agree with it all.

James Lewis has the recent experience of the modern professional game that was previously missing so at this time of the season & with his knowledge of the players in our current squad, he must be worth a go. He will have learned off Jason & it would be daft to waste all that if he is up for it.

No game next week giving Greg Woods & the new coaching staff an extra week to get to know each other & prepare for the next game & to recover from injuries & the massive physical effort of the last 3 weeks, is also good timing.