Bridgend

Whether you're looking forward to kick-off or the final whistle has blown, this is the place for supporters of EVRFC

Moderators: admin, The ref, Henry Crun

viewfromthestand

Re: Bridgend

Post by viewfromthestand »

What a difference a few days made, plus seven changes to the Bridgend team and the highlight of yesterdays game a certain Mr Ian Davies as referee. We had to stick to our guns to win this one. We tackled our hearts out from start to finish. Our robust hits certainly saved two tries where Bridgend were through our defence and really only had to touch down to score but they seen our defence corner flagging and low and behold they dropped the ball and knocked on. Still think we try to run from our own 22 too often when a good punt upfield would be more beneficial. Thought young Callum looked good in the 10 jersey and with his confidence growing he ll come on leeps and bounds. Dorians late kick for the penalty to win us this game was a beauty never looked anywhere but straight through the uprights.Toby Frickers bursts give us some go forward. Once again our front row supremos Ross and Mr Eightoaks (to good to be just a seven) got right on top of the Bridgend scrum and they drilled holes in them. The rest of the pack were top drawer again. Well done boys. Thought our discipline has improved too. No yellows yesterday.
Now I feel it s time to make my comment on Mr Ian Davies. The referee can make a huge difference to the result of a game and Mr Davies most certainly did his best to disrupt our efforts. He missed an obvious stamp which happened directly infront of him and his assistant. He disallowed a conversion when his two assistants both confirmed it was over by raising their flags. Allowed continuous penalties in the red zone to go uncarded. When the laws state clearly that continuous infringements hindering the scoring of a try will be penalised by a yellow card and a penalty try. First half we had a string of six penalties in the red zone and then second half we had a string of 7 penalties which did ultimately result in a penalty try. Too many infringements allowed to happen before the sanction was taken. Once again I write and for those of you who read my drivel, this is not the first time I have said it re Mr Ian Davies. He should take a very hard look at himself and decide if he is going to referee Ebbw Vale RFC fairly and honestly. I for one most certainly thought he did neither yesterday. What is the point of neutral assistant refs if the main man is taking no notice whatsoever. I would really like to read other posts on his display, as I m trying not to see the game through my Ebbw Goggles and be objective. All said and done WE WON !!!!!!!!!
Stevey

Post by Stevey »

Viewfromthestand, fair assessment I think, agree our discipline has improved, hence no yellows, and couldn't understand Bridgend not being penalised after continuously dropping or turning the Scrum on their line. It was made harder for us but our resilience brought us through.
Well done everyone.
DaiLew

Post by DaiLew »

At least he's consistent!
He refereed the Gogs' scrum the same a few games ago until the last scrum penalty and Dorian winner!
He loves to go the extra mile/time too!
Henry Crun

Post by Henry Crun »

Said it all for me View From The Stand. Good review.
"Chickens can't see where they're going in the fog. Unless it's a fog chicken, and there's no such thing as a fog chicken".