Llanelli (Away)

Whether you're looking forward to kick-off or the final whistle has blown, this is the place for supporters of EVRFC

Moderators: admin, The ref, Henry Crun

String

Llanelli (Away)

Post by String »

Nobody seems to be mentioning this game!

Very good solid away win for us. Considering its the first game i thought we looked relatively slick, well drilled and well discplined - more than normal for this early on.

Plenty of effort throughout (even at the death still trying to score more when the easy option would be to end the game). I thought our defence was excellent. Well disciplined and knocked Llanelli back with the ball every time of asking.
Their only actual try was an interception we threw to them (trying too hard?)

Hard to tell if our lineout was good or Llanellis just shocking but that combined with the scrum gave llanelli nothing at all to work with.

Only real complaint is £13 to get in!
jadegoodiesfridge

Re: Llanelli (Away)

Post by jadegoodiesfridge »

Should have pretended to be over 60 like me and my mate Les. £9 quid !...can't argue with that! Great performance today though Old Butt.Totally faultless .Interesting to see how we cope with better opposition.Roll on Friday.
marshomano

Post by marshomano »

Thoroughly enjoyed being back watching Ebbw today. Speaking to a local supporter whose boy played number 6 for Llanelli today, he told me at the start of the game that we wouldn't struggle.

Much like a couple of our fellow premiership rivals, he condemned the WRU and this new A team competition shared with the Irish. He said they had 8 first team boys out today, and they will be without them for 7 weeks. He also said that Llanelli's training this week was made up of just 4 players. Certainly not ideal with the threat of relegation looming. Truth be told, teams cannot afford to give away 7 week head start this season.

Llanelli aside, it's true that we can only play whats in front of us. For years now we've been plagued by slow starts to seasons, and a general feeling of rustiness. This was certainly not the case today. Some of the passing was as slick as I've seen from any Ebbw side, and the defence , as always, was imense. It was also nice to see us put away our chances. We rarely entered Llanelli's 22 and came away with nothing.

If teams do give us the opportunity, I hope we continue to dominate like we have today , and I'm very much looking forward to watching us against aberavon next week. (I won't turn down a 7 week headstart)
String

Post by String »

I've got limited (ok no) sympathy for Llanelli vs the WRU when they've been given so much, so often by them.

The "A" team idea is ridiculous though - the whole idea seems to be to further devalue the premier.
viewfromthestand

Post by viewfromthestand »

Totally agree with all previous comments. We looked good at set piece and our game looked on song. Roll on Aberavon.
Is Toby Fricker Bionic. It takes at least 3 tacklers to get him down. So glad he stayed with us.
Our half backs looked good. Matt Flanaghan had a swift service no step before the pass. Rhys did his job and kicked his points.
Great to see Cam come on and Rhys Clarke in the warm up.
Enough said we did well against poor opposition.
Bring on Aberavon.
1 down 29 to go.
String

Post by String »

A few snapped-from-the-stand photos:-

ImageIMG_2002.jpg by Richard Whitcombe, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2039.jpg by Richard Whitcombe, on Flickr

ImageThe beard has landed by Richard Whitcombe, on Flickr

ImageHe's been a very naughty boy by Richard Whitcombe, on Flickr
Stevey

Post by Stevey »

Great photos String.
Malpas69

Post by Malpas69 »

marshomano wrote: 01 Sep 2018 21:36 Much like a couple of our fellow premiership rivals, he condemned the WRU and this new A team competition shared with the Irish. He said they had 8 first team boys out today, and they will be without them for 7 weeks. He also said that Llanelli's training this week was made up of just 4 players. Certainly not ideal with the threat of relegation looming. Truth be told, teams cannot afford to give away 7 week head start this season.
It will be very interesting to see what happens if the likes of Llanelli do finish in the bottom four. If they continue to play like that and with those sorts of numbers attending training, it is a fair chance that they will. That is the trouble with having to (effectively) run three teams. I am sorry to say (not really) that I have very little sympathy for them.
Crime in multi-storey car parks - that is just wrong on so many different levels!!
String

Post by String »

Can you REALLY see the WRU not stepping in to help them out ?
Or at least a lot of players being parachuted in for vital games to help them out?

They've got problems - not to take anything away from Ebbw but that wasn't good opposition. Even accounting for the fact its the first game it was worrying. They really didnt offer anything in the forwards, lineouts or backs.
They're going to get well beaten.

The only thing in their favour are some other sides seem to be in complete disarray too (Swansea, Bargoed).
String

Post by String »

Looks like Llanelli went down 43 - 0 to Pontypridd today.

They really are in serious trouble.
CJ

Post by CJ »

what a shame it would be!