Narberth

Whether you're looking forward to kick-off or the final whistle has blown, this is the place for supporters of EVRFC

Moderators: admin, The ref, Henry Crun

Phillip Grey

Narberth

Post by Phillip Grey »

Good luck to the team for tomorrow’s game, really looking forward to it.

But worried about our bench though, 4 front row, 1 back row, 2 scrum half’s and a winger?

No second row replacements, no out half’s, no centre replacements.

Forecast is a dry warm day, so thought a few of our new speedsters may get a run instead of half the bench being front rowers.

Be interesting to see how set pieces go with Ash missing
One Smart Fellow, He Felt Smart
Malpas69

Re: Narberth

Post by Malpas69 »

The lack of second row / cover has been a worry for me all through pre-season (since Kristian Parker left for Pontypridd and Rhys Clarke left for Pontypool), during the trial games and the team selections for the first two matches. Two second rows left and none signed (Dan Hill is a back-row forward for me).

I appreciate that we have been allocated two from the Dragons / Academy, but I do not want to have to rely on them. Absolutely nothing wrong with our starting pair (Lance and Ashley), but it is only going to take an injury to either (or both) of those and we are going to be in the doo-doo.
Crime in multi-storey car parks - that is just wrong on so many different levels!!
david brown

Post by david brown »

Accept what has been said about not wanting to rely on Dragons players.However surely in an emergency like the current situation,it makes sense to have cover rather than play people out of position and have no cover on the bench.This will be a difficult game today so let us hope we do not have any injuries.On a future outlook ,unless we use our Dragons players ,it is going to be a very long season and a very difficult one .
DaiLew

Post by DaiLew »

What an uplifting forum this is turning into! Let’s give support and encouragement to the all involved in the running of the club rather than questioning their ability. They’ve proved to be pretty knowledgable so far! The last time we were in serious trouble was when we relied heavily on players with no affinity to our club or our area. West was certainly not best in that season. On a positive note- it is great to see the mini-section flourishing. Great to see kids in the ground again. Well done to all involved. Apologies if this should have been in General Discussion.
david brown

Post by david brown »

Just for clarification purposes.I really cannot accept that stating the obvious is some type of defeatism.I fully support the coaching staff and the great job they are doing.However all should agree that the bench today is not ideal when covering several key positions .That is the obvious point i am trying to get across.
String

Post by String »

We got the win and played well in patches. Thats about it really. Good start, tailed off in the first half. Second half a good 10 mins then 30 mins defending without the ball.

Job done, progress made, looks like no key players injured and can concentrate on the league which is far more important.

I agree on not having to rely on N*****t players - they cant be trusted and its a very poor long term plan. Growing and keeping our own would seem a far more robust option.
chris

Post by chris »

A good win today, against reasonable opposition. Thought we payed really well in patches, but drifted in others. The league is definitely the priority, but it would also be nice to have a bit of a cup run too - hope we get a decent draw in the next round!
Phillip Grey

Post by Phillip Grey »

Well done Ebbw Vale on the win, happy car on the drive home.

Hopefully this will give a bit of confidence going into the next set of games.

Still worried about our lack of cover and reliance on players in key positions, but for tonight we can enjoy victory.
One Smart Fellow, He Felt Smart
jadegoodiesfridge

Post by jadegoodiesfridge »

But if an observation after a couple of bevvies.Narberth were quite a good team.We scored two quick fire tries prior to half time,then an early try in the second half to effectively kill the game.Game over .Then I went happily home to see that Grimsby came from 2- 0 down to draw 2-2 in the last ten minutes .Happy days.Hope we draw beddau in the next round.
jadegoodiesfridge

Post by jadegoodiesfridge »

"But if an observation " ??? Bloody hell ! How many did I have last night ?