Merthyr

Whether you're looking forward to kick-off or the final whistle has blown, this is the place for supporters of EVRFC

Moderators: admin, The ref, Henry Crun

Phillip Grey

Merthyr

Post by Phillip Grey »

The team is out on the website, well done mr webmaster for updates so quick.

1 Ross Jones
2 Joe Franchi
3 Rob Sevenoaks
4 Lance Randall
5 Ashley Sweet Captain
6 Dan Hill
7 Dawid Rubasniak
8 Cameron Regan
9 Dai Jones
10 Ethan Phillips
11 Ewan Rosser
12 Dai Langdon
13 Dom Franchi
14 Paul King
15 Dan Haymond

16 Rhys Francis
17 Luke Garrett
18 Morgan Davies
19 Craig Fillier
20 Harri Harding
21 Sam Ireland
22 Matthew Flanagan
23 Dafydd Thomas

Best of luck lads, a tough game ahead but who knows, they have had a rickety start.

Phillip
One Smart Fellow, He Felt Smart
marshomano

Re: Merthyr

Post by marshomano »

Didn't go down today but followed with great interest online. Did well to come back to within a score, but ultimately blown away in the last 10 by the seems. Would be interesting to hear the thoughts of fellow supporters.

Heard we gave away a a couple of soft tries, but it's important to recognise we were playing one of the top sides fighting for the title. I'm still a firm believer in that we should be confident playing anyone at home, and that we have too much quality to be troubled with relegation. Weird entry from me after a loss I know but every cloud and all
Phillip Grey

Post by Phillip Grey »

Disappointed as can never be happy with defeat and coming away with nothing for our efforts.

We showed plenty of endeavour, but lacked something, not sure what but we missing some flair and at times composure.

Merthyr never looked like they were going to lose this game, we never looked like we were going to win it.

Competitive, but with technically our strongest team out was hoping to be a bit closer to the benchmark

Llandovery and Pontypridd up next, in Greg we trust....but there is a lot of work to do if we are going to get anything out of them.

I would like to comment on Rob Sevenoaks, I heard today that he lost his dear Dad in the week. Yet still turned out and gave it his all. Not all hero’s wear capes, but Rob you are a true club hero and I’m sure you dad is immensely proud. Sir I tip my hat to you Rob, can’t imagine what emotions you were going through on that pitch today.
One Smart Fellow, He Felt Smart
jadegoodiesfridge

Post by jadegoodiesfridge »

Alike the Newport game,as Johnny Mathis once said,too much ,too little ,too late.Yes ! Merthyr had all the answers due to vast experience right across the board.But our first half mistakes didn't really help our cause.The line out was a joke.pure and simple.I honestly believe Joe didn't know the line out calls.One missed line out led to Merthyr 's second try,A seven pointer to boot.Franco comes on and the line out clicks ,by which time we are 28-6 down. It has to be mentioned,the most bizarre kick into touch from a penalty I've ever seen.How on earth did Ethan manage to miss the line from two yards out AND KICK IT INTO THE HANDS OF THEIR WINGER !!! I nearly burst into tears at that point.A five yard line out ended up with a line out in our own half.Awful ! Then came the second half.....Excellent! Much better ! The pack were awesome. The back row were fantastic( they were all game it as to be said ) and our backs suddenly got moving.From 28 -6 down to 28-21 with just 6 minutes left on the clock.We had them on the ropes,until Rhys stepped up with a masterclass on how to use the wind .He did to great effect and constantly running us back led to us running out of gas.Two quick tries and Merthyr had 42 in the board.Bit harsh on Ebbw,but that's the way it goes.Again,mistakes cost us.silly stupid mistakes,and a good team like Merthyr were capable of punishing us.We've got three weeks to iron out the creases before we meet another bloody good team in the Drovers.Too early to panic but we really need to get something out of our next game.I'll whisper this ....I think we can do it if we go into the game with the same mindset that we had in yesterday's second half. Just to mention ,did anybody else notice that everytime we kicked upfield over a backtracking Merthyr defence.....The flaming ball bounced BACK INTO THEIR HANDS !!!!!!