Cardiff(a) Cup

Whether you're looking forward to kick-off or the final whistle has blown, this is the place for supporters of EVRFC

Moderators: admin, The ref, Henry Crun

Beaufort Boy

Cardiff(a) Cup

Post by Beaufort Boy »

I hope that NO one comes on here to have a go at Craig Evans!!
There was absolutely NOTHING wrong with the way in which he officiated the game tonight!!!!!!!!
We were a very wee poor second best...
End of...
Always take the lens cap off mun mush...

https://neilcharlesrobertsphotography.smugmug.com
Phillip Grey

Re: Cardiff(a) Cup

Post by Phillip Grey »

Craig Evans had a very good game

Ebbw Vale were, well poor beyond belief and I don’t think we have a squad no where near strong enough for the premiership to be frankly honest.

I wasn’t going to watch, and now sorry I did as am very depressed.

Clutching at straws (paper ones now), the positive is we can concentrate on the league.

Yes that good old cliche!
One Smart Fellow, He Felt Smart
jadegoodiesfridge

Post by jadegoodiesfridge »

Think yourself lucky.I paid 12 quid to watch that !!!
viewfromthestand

Post by viewfromthestand »

I have taken my time to reflect on last nights performance and I can only say on reflection we were by far the second best team which is highlighted by the final score 78/12. Not good at all. . Whilst I have been reflecting I have asked myself several questions and bitten my lip to the point of having to have a stitch put in.
I have seen several posts on Facebook from earlier today with words like embarrassing (spelled incorrectly may i add), players not looking interested and so on and so forth. Not for one minute do I think that our players are not interested . If they are not interested why are they turning up week after week in the monsoons we are having to train hard and try to improve, when they could be sitting at home with loved ones or doing enjoyable things in the warm.So I m sorry not interested does nt wash with me. Embarrassing, well I can t say I was jubilant about the result but I certainly was not embarrassed. Will never be embarrassed by my team.
I then took time to look at the Cardiff team and noted the number of current regional players they had and the few that have been regional players in the last few seasons Players like Tom Habberfield and Dan Fish who could do a job at regional level today. They had Ben Thomas possibly one of the brightest prospects in Wales at this point. Max Llewellyn another rising star Wales under 20 cap, Evan Yardley Wales Under 20 cap etc.etc.etc. I can conclude the Cardiff team that played last night in the main were full time professional players, not brickies, teachers or butchers Not guys who hang up their boots or tie at 5pm and rush to the ground to put on the red green and white of EVRFC. This ultimately is where the difference in the two teams lies. We had one regional academy player in young Max Ayling in our match day squad .We had a player who was on permit who failed to turn up!!!!!!!! so we were off to a slippery start.
As a club we knew this season was going to be tough but to see posts of the nature on Facebook does get my goat. Financially, we will never to be able to compete with the likes of Cardiff, Merthyr etc, we don t have millionaire backers who will throw money at a bottomless pit. What we have is a group of people who get out there and try their best. So politely, I request before people get on their keyboards and slam the players and the club, reflect and think that you could possibly offend the people who are trying to keep the club at premiership level, whether that be a player ,coach or a committee person, remember that if those people call time you will have no club to be embarrassed about.
Back to the game , I have to applaud young Daffydd Thomas he had a few searing runs ,Dawid Rubnasniak was at his jackalling best and Lewis Young as always was 100%. Yes we were beaten but we are not defeated like the pheonix we will rise again.
jadegoodiesfridge

The dust has quickly settled since my last post.And on reflection I thought our pack performed admirably last night against a very very experienced Cardiff eight.Even our line out went extremely well ( was it 100 % ? ).The difference was Cardiff's breathtakingly fast backs.They were absolutely awesome.I don't think there was a club in the whole of Wales who could have coped with that pace and ingenuity.
I wasn't aware of the pedigree of that back line until Karl's post,but my God ,they put us to the sword.....and some !
I'm not on Facebook so am not aware of so called Ebbw supporters opinion of our team.But with falling crowds ,I can guarantee these people haven't seen an Ebbw game ( other on tv ) in years. Pathetic really.
I'm not embarrassed by Ebbw's performance last night,disappointed,yes ! but that's it.Would I pay 12 quid to see Ebbw again ? Damned right I would.See you all next week on the bank.
Phillip Grey

Post by Phillip Grey »

Good post Mr VFTS.

I don’t go on the Facebook so not seen any of comments. My only forum is this one, although the wife has Twitter so she tells me scores when I’m not at matches.

Still very disappointed at the performance last night, there were indeed class players who Ebbw Vale lined up against but still and all that manor of defeat was unacceptable in my eyes.

I’ve never called players over, as I’m sure they are well aware themselves of their failings last night, and will be hurting as much as the fans are.

They certainly don’t need personal attacks on social media.

If we play badly I’ll say so, and if we play well I’ll praise them up with delight. There’s no point burying heads in the sand if there is issues, as they won’t be rectified.

Bridgend RFC losing to Newport has helped us, we now have must win home games against Carmarthen, Bridgend and Swansea. If we win them I think we’ll be ok, if we slip to defeats then we’ll be playing championship rugby next season.

I hope we see a dramatic improvement next Saturday, and I’ll of course be there.

Come on The Vale!!!!
Phillip Grey

Post by Phillip Grey »

On a different matter and more importantly how is Corey Howells?

Has he joined us for the season now?
jadegoodiesfridge

My final post on Fridays game ( honest ,I won't mention it again).Could someone enlighten me concerning the rules about using regional players in WRU cup games ( yes ! I am clutching at those straws again.) I was of the understanding that a club could use regional players to a maximum,as long as said players have played for the RFC for at least 5 games.Can't remember when I read that,but ,with time on my hands......Max Llewellyn played two games,Ben Thomas two games,Callum Bradbury,four games,one off the bench,and Jim Botham,one game.If the 5 game ruling is right then Cardiff,in my eyes ,fielded four ineligible players.If not.....Then I'm an idiot ! Could someone enlighten me.
jadegoodiesfridge

Just read the rules.I am an idiot.Apparently a club are allowed to play a maximum of 6 players on permit ,4 of which can be regional/academy players and can play for the club as many times they want.Callum Bradbury is registered as a Cardiff RFC player who trains with the Blues.They slightly bent the rules ,but didn't break them.

Post by 123 »

The 5 game rule extends to the final I understand as I am sure the first round was played after 1 league game so that rule couldn’t work!!!! In another side the Cardiff team even with a few full time players (who they have had all season) shouldn’t put nearly 80 points in is! It is embarrassing!
Malpas69

Post by Malpas69 »

Just to put things into perspective (and with a little help from Mr Google), this was the Cardiff Team that we played on Friday night:

Dan Fish - Wales U20s, Cardiff Blues
Max Llewellyn - Cardiff Blues
Sam Beard - Dragons, Edinburgh, Bay of Plenty
Ben Thomas - Cardiff Blues
Barney Nightingale - Wales U20s, Dragons
Gareth Thompson
Tom Habberfield - Wales U20s, Ospreys

Thomas Davies - Wales U18s, Wales U20s, Dragons, Cardiff Blues
Evan Yardley - Ospreys
Peter Lloyd
James Ratti - Wales U20s, Ospreys
Callum Bradbury - Cardiff Blues
James Thomas - Wales U18s, Wales U20s, Dragons
Jim Botham - Cardiff Blues
Morgan Allen - Wales U18s, Wales U20s, Dragons, Scarlets, Ospreys

Brynley Toms - Wales Students
Hugo Suoto
Ollie Drake
Sam Pailor - Wales U20s, Ealing Trailfinders, Coventry, Doncaster, Bedford
Alex Everett
Ethan Lloyd
Joe Scrivens
Leon Andrews - Wales U21s, Wales U19s, Cardiff Blues

So, according to me (or Google), in that Cardiff side, 13 of the starting 15 had previously played (or are playing) professional rugby and 2 of the 8 replacements had played (or are playing) professional rugby. Remember, we had to get permits for 3 of our squad from Brynmawr, Blaenavon and Risca (absolutely no disrespect to any of those great Clubs).

Hopefully, this helps demonstrate the huge gulf in class, experience and fitness between the two sides. Sometimes, guts, hard work and determination can be a great leveler (remember the week before), but on a beautiful evening for rugby and on a fast pitch, I am afraid that we were no match for that Cardiff team (especially the backs, who (I have to say) were superb).

As someone has already commented on, the next few games against Carmarthen Quins, Bridgend and Swansea are absolutely massive in determining which league we will be playing our rugby in next season.
Crime in multi-storey car parks - that is just wrong on so many different levels!!