Newport

Whether you're looking forward to kick-off or the final whistle has blown, this is the place for supporters of EVRFC

Moderators: admin, The ref, Henry Crun

Malpas69

Newport

Post by Malpas69 »

It is extremely difficult not to be negative having watched such a one-sided game yesterday. Newport were bigger, taller and better then us up front and far superior in the backs. They seemed to create overlaps at will, their lines of running and the use of the dummy runners was superb. Their kicking game was much better than ours as well. Sure, we bombed a number of chances and one of their tries was definitely a forward pass, but a closer score would have flattered us and papered over the clear difference in class.

A number of our players had decent games, Ben Westwood looked really strong under the high ball and put in a superb 50-22 kick in the first half. Dan Hill again performed solid and consistent and Joe Peard did reasonably well on his debut. Yes, the four yellow cards definitely did not help, but they were as a result of being under pressure for most of the match. Without Dave Whiting, our scrum always seems to struggle, allied to the fact that we do not have much weight coming through from the second row. I said before the season started, that we do not have the strength in depth required in the second row.

When the squad was announced, I was reasonably confident that we would be up in the top half of the league, but having watched our decline over the last few matches, I think that my confidence was misplaced. I am just thankful that relegation is not happening this year, which will hopefully allow us the time to strengthen our squad for next year (I cannot believe that I am talking about next season already). As above, we definitely need another second row and we need a lot more creativity in midfield. It pains me to say this, but Newport yesterday showed us how it should be done.
Crime in multi-storey car parks - that is just wrong on so many different levels!!
String

Re: Newport

Post by String »

We seem absolutely terrified to move the ball and no matter what the current situation is, are desperate to kick after 2-3 phases at most.
Let down even more by that kick itself being sloppy. Very predictable to defend against.
We had a poor set piece resulting in very little ball and when we did win some it looks like we couldn't wait to get rid of it.

The pre-season was good, the first few actual games were decent but the last 3 games have been poor, absolutely outclassed in every single area.

N*****t played a simple game, just moved quick ball, minimal players committed at the breakdown and nothing more. Basic rugby but we couldnt live with it.

The yellow cards did look OK to me - deserved as a result of being unable to cope with any basic pressure.
One of their tries (2nd) the ball was touched by non playing staff so shouldnt have been allowed the quick throw (TJ did signal this, got overruled) but on the other hand our last try was somewhat charitable as to the grounding so swings and roundabouts there.

3 losses in a row but its not so much the results that's worrying - its the way we seemingly offered nothing at all in any of them.