Merthyr...

Whether you're looking forward to kick-off or the final whistle has blown, this is the place for supporters of EVRFC

Moderators: admin, The ref, Henry Crun

String

Merthyr...

Post by String »

OK so it's a loss but unless Merthyr were *really* poor it looks like we've improved somewhat. 54 minute first half and 46 second which is the first 100 minute game ive seen...

First half wasn't great, we got almost no ball *but* defence, particularly against the mall seemed much improved. Penalty count still high though.

Second half we stepped up, had more ball some good periods of pressure but quite often failed to convert due to handling errors but at least we played the game in the right place.

Lineout wasn't great but neither was theirs. Scrum similar, wouldnt like to call that either way.

Conditions admittedly were poor and likely made worse by the plastic pitch (some very odd bounces or skimming ball to say the least).

Positive signs, "only" one yellow card, a lot more confident play in the second half and a much more committed defence. Ultimately though still a bonus point loss but nowhere near as abject as previously. Its a small step in the right direction.
The whole team and style just looked a little more organised and intelligent.

Other points to note, Merthyr 3 times employed what looked like a set call of kick then run into someone and dive for a penalty. It worked twice out of 3 attempts.

One other thing - when did it become acceptable for the coaching staff, in a raised up box when play has stopped 10m away to yell "What the f**k are you doing ref? You f**king c**t! You're a f**king disgrace" repeatedly and also when did officials start ignoring that sort of thing?!
(Happened around Merthyr's yellow card and several times after that when we had the ball in that area).
jadegoodiesfridge

Re: Merthyr...

Post by jadegoodiesfridge »

Fair assessment previous post. I walked away ( sodden and cold) feeling a bit more upbeat than, shall we say, Ponty. Yeah, we got slaughtered first half, but felt we could, (could) have gone in just 14 - 6 down.
Good second half though. True.! Our line out was awful. But I thought our scrum went well. The addition of Aaron Coundley gave us that bit of dog we've been missing for quite some time. And Oaksey, it has to be said, had a superb game.
Disappointed that for all our efforts on their line, late in the game, we couldn't bring it back to 24-20.Something for Jason to focus on these coming weeks.
A sloppy charged down kick, and a, shall we say, dubious penalty try in the second half, gave a rather false scoreline. My opinion. Merthyr deserved the win. But were never worthy of 31 points
Interesting to hear about the abuse aimed at the ref from the Merthyr dugout. Didn't all clubs receive a memo from the WRU concerning abuse toward their officials, and they weren't putting up with it any longer. Maybe Merthyr should be reported, and suffer the consequences. By the way, their prop should have had a red for that punch which everyone saw. Not a yellow.
Not a good day on paper, but 7 out of 10 from me for effort Another toughie next week against a very good Drovers. Looking forward to it.
String

Re: Merthyr...

Post by String »

The prop is what started the tirade from the coaching staff (in that shipping container thing just behind where that was. Apparently it was an Ebbw red card and an extra yellow for "f**king cheating in the f**king scrum").
Given the WRU memo, that's why i was somewhat surprised the officials standing a few metres away ignored it for 20 mins+ in the second half.
The punch incident was right next to me, from what i could overhear the touch judge made it clear what happened but the referee bottled it because he didn't see it clearly (i guess no TMO isnt going to help there but on the other hand, with a TMO we'd probably still be playing now).

We didn't deserve to win, no question about that but we certainly didn't deserve the 31 point scoreline, especially as you say with the dubious penality try which was the 3rd time they employed that tactic, on that wing, in that half....

We seem to have a much improved attitude and that can make all the difference. Bring on next week.