Squad for 2019/2020

You'll never guess what I heard in the pub/club/Tesco's last night.......

Moderators: admin, The ref, Henry Crun

Phillip Grey

Squad for 2019/2020

Post by Phillip Grey »

Appreciate the season’s completion is only a week old, but I see Neath have started to announce their squad signings for the coming season.

Dearly hope we manage to retain most of our squad although there are strong rumours from a number of sources of a few key departures.

Captain Ronny Kynes and Cameron Regan are leaving to go to Bargoed who are going to splash the cash to get them back up.

Rhys Jones to Stan the pies money bags Merthyr.

Dai Jones and Dai Langdon Pontypool

Rhys Clarke to ?

I’m sure Gregg has this situation well in hand, but hope we get to find out the lads that have signed early so are not worrying all summer on who’ll be in the red white and green come September. We have got the Scottish fixtures to think about this year as well and should be looking for top 6 or higher next season too.

Quite shocked at Ronny and Cam but I would stress these are rumours, and the very reason for me posting this is in the rumours section.

Nothing else to do for a few months so we may as well speculate on the comings and goings!

Best wishes, Phillip
One Smart Fellow, He Felt Smart
Stevey

Re: Squad for 2019/2020

Post by Stevey »

Philip, to arrest this situation we set up the Friends of Ebbw Vale RFC back last year but it seems, sadly, that there is not enough understanding of our predicament. There are people doing their utmost to be able to retain the players we would want to but ultimately it is up to our supporters.
Phillip Grey

Post by Phillip Grey »

Hi Stevey sorry I don’t understand the reply? Old age maybe!

I have no gripes if players move on for big bucks that Ebbw Vale RFC can’t afford to match.
I certainly wouldn’t want us to enter a bidding war that we can’t afford to play.

But how is it up to the supporters to sign players for the new season?

Do you mean sponsoring them?
Stevey

Post by Stevey »

Firstly I heard good news that Cameron is staying at Ebbw which I'm happy to hear.
My point is Phil that we have been in a league whereby we could have been one of the unlucky 4 or 5 that got relegated but thankfully we didn't. Rhys Jones is going to Merthyr and I can understand why and don't blame him, he won us some games with his kicking, remember Newport?, We will miss Rhys and will need a quality outside half, our money from WRU is reducing, which is contrary to what I believe should happen.
We are doing our best to promote our club and the televised games gave us great exposure for this but as we see Friends of Newport RFC donate £40K to them, we on the other hand seem to have apathy when it comes to helping Ebbw Vale RFC to anywhere near that amount.
I've emailed every season ticket holder I have contact details for, and that's quite a few, to explain our situation, and had poor response. Maybe we don't care or don't care enough, I don't know. Other clubs are doing well with their online lottery which is bringing in substantial revenue for them, ours??????
I'm at my wit's end to try to understand why other clubs see us as well supported because when the final whistle goes most people switch off and think that the club runs on automatic.
Phillip Grey

Post by Phillip Grey »

Wonderful news about Cameron, think he is a very skilful rugby footballer.

I certainly don’t blame Rhys for going, he’s been a great asset to have and wish him well.

If I were a wealthy man, I’d be happy to put some readies into the cause. But will do what I can, and have spoken to Mrs Grey about me upgrading to a VP this year and maybe even buying her a standard season pass.

Being a pensioner, I personally couldn’t commit to a direct debit, but will try my best to make a BACS transfer when circumstances allows.

Keep up the good work by the way, hope the account grows and funds are raised.
Stevey

Post by Stevey »

We need a little money from a lot of people, that is all we are asking Phil, and if I were wealthy I would be a big contributor........but I'm not either sadly.
Instead of upgrading to a VP you could donate the difference to the Friends of Ebbw Vale RFC and that can be donated in its entirety whereas there is vat on all season ticket sales, this is what I did last year, I had a bog standard ticket and donated the diff. :D
Malpas69

Post by Malpas69 »

Some squad announcements tomorrow morning according to Twitter.
Crime in multi-storey car parks - that is just wrong on so many different levels!!
Stevey

Post by Stevey »

Well under very difficult circumstances I think we have retained a core group of players with a mass of quality and potential.
Got to be happy with this but that doesn't mean as supporters we can sit back, we must strengthen our finances!
Phillip Grey

Post by Phillip Grey »

Wonderful news about the main core of the squad staying.
Really am delighted

Well done to those involved in securing them.