Post by Rhys »

Tigers (must be massive faves for gp) lose their opener
Cardiff beaten by edinburgh at home
Os nearly lose to connact
Munster beaten by glasgow!?
Graham

Re: An unexpected evening

Post by Graham »

What on earth is going on there? Really strange set of results.
blindjim

Post by blindjim »

The only really strange result there is Munster losing to Glasgow.

The Premiership is such a difficult division, where anyone can beat anyone. This was shown on the first weekend where all of last years semi-finalists lost.

Connacht is a tough place to go whoever you are and the Ospreys didnt actually lose.

As for the blues losing to the team that did the double over them last season and came second is no real surprise, especially when playing in an empty football stadium - an advantage to Edinburgh who play in front of no crowd every week.
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

Norton-S**te wont bring any more fans in either

(yeah watch me get on the bandwagon!)
String

Post by String »

Graham wrote:What on earth is going on there? Really strange set of results.
Does anyone in Wales actually care though? Its rugby with no connection at all with anything most fans will ever get to see again.
CK

Post by CK »

Does anyone really care??

I think they might.
More people will watch the Osprey, Cardiff Blues & NG Dragons, and Scarlets than watch Aberavon, Glamorgan wanderers, Ebbw Vale & Llandovery and thats a fact!!

I agree the crowds for regional games are disapointing but once the "feel hard done by" generation of rugby fans fade away, the four regions (under whatever guise they end up as) will be watched by more and more fans. Even the die-hard fans will have enough and give up on the "club" game as it stands

10 years from now, unless there is a radical change, all of the premiership clubs will have faded away into obscurity and everyone will only CARE about the fully professional game and, more importantly, the only real team that matters in the end is WALES!!
OBPRS
crusader

Post by crusader »

CK,

The "hard done by" have a genuine greivance, to such an extent that I don't watch regional rugby at all. I stumbled upon the last 20 minutes of the Cardiff (Blues, my ar**) v Glasgow game, and only stayed to cheer Glasgow to their win.

Even now, after however many years, the commentators continually start to say 'Cardiff' before correcting themselves to 'Blues', as if they think that if its siad enough then everyone will forget three of the "regions" are really Cradiff, Newport and Llanelli. By a process of elimination, if pushed I would support the Ospreys,although if Swansea hadn't fallen on hard times at just the wrong time, they would have cheerfully set up a region called "Whites".

Sorry to disappoint you mate, but as you say, it'll take a generation for attitudes to change. By that time, though, Welsh rugby will be wrecked. Pouring more money into the "regions" at the cost of support at lower levels in patently absurd, and simply means that the disconnect between the "regions" and the rest of Welsh rugby grows wider.

In exchange for the extra cash, 17of the (now) 23 have to be Welsh-qualified. Take out the now 8 subs, and that means just nine Welsh players could start in each of the four regions. When compared to the six New Zealanders allowed, that hardly sounds like a huge step forward in the development of Welsh rugby. I might be wrong, but this time, I don't think so.

Do me a favour,and do an analysis of the starting XVs of each of the regions, and work out how many key positions (full back, outside half, kicker, captain, etc) are occupied by foreigners. Then come back and tell me how good the "regiosn" are for Welsh rugby.

Rent over, for now.
Stevey

Post by Stevey »

Excellent reply Crusader, agree totally. Cardiff football club have had 25,000 packed in, that is more than the 4 "regions" put together.
Rugby nation..............I don't think so. Built on sand.........looks like it to me.
CK

Post by CK »

Built on sand???

Do you win 2 grand Slams if the pro rugby setup is built on sand??

If so, then sand it is!!

I understand your point about foreign players "invading" our professional game and not helping the Welsh cause but the Welsh game will get by just fine!!

The only way to ensure a healthy future for Welsh rugby IS to put all the money in at the Top level. Do you think, in this professional era, it would help Welsh rugby if Dvision 2 + 3 clubs were funded to the point all the rugby talent is diluted through the leagues.

Fund the top tier and the "cream" will rise to this level not fester at an inadequate level. If there are a few foreigners then so be it!! Excellent Players like Holah, Blair, Regan King & Rush can only help. Its the likes of Willis, Arlidge, Manu, nutbrown & the such that are a waste of resources.
I've looked through the regions and agree there are too many average foreigners around. However I also see the likes of the following coming through..

Dan Biggar - Ospreys
Sam Warburton - Blues
Tavis Knoyle - Scarlets
Dan Lydiate - Dragons
Leigh Halfpenny - Blues
Craig Mitchell - Ospreys
Jonathan Davies - Scarlets..
and more

With regards crowd levels, these are going to struggle as the "regions" have no identity with the rugby public.
Nothing can be done about that without a total restructrue but what is the excuse for low attendences in the Premiership?? Identity shouldn't be a problem here should it??
OBPRS
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

crusader wrote: Even now, after however many years, the commentators continually start to say 'Cardiff' before correcting themselves to 'Blues', as if they think that if its siad enough then everyone will forget three of the "regions" are really Cradiff, Newport and Llanelli. By a process of elimination, if pushed I would support the Ospreys,although if Swansea hadn't fallen on hard times at just the wrong time, they would have cheerfully set up a region called "Whites".
I'd hate to be an O's fan at the moment. What is there to like about a team of stars running around without direction for 80 minutes and getting beaten at home by the likes of ulster.

I hate to say it but I'd rather watch a team of underdogs, who play as a team, work really hard and give their all for their team. The two dragons matches have been highly entertaining this year (not like last year . . .) and i'll tune in when they're on the TV.

When I'm next down to visit my family and come watch ebbw, if I can I'll probably go and watch a blues or dragons match too. (I go and watch Leicester and Northampton every now and again despite really not supporting the former and not having any real ties with the latter (they're just halfway between me and my dad) I just like to see rugby.

One of the main issues with the regional set up is the magners league. The regions are set up purely to put players through to wales. With no prize for getting the top spot and no relegation, and with the funding coming from the counties governing bodies the big teams dont always send a full strength team away from home.

They need to play their top players at home to keep the home crowd, but with nothing to play for and very little away support travelling the length of the county they often rest them for away games. So crowds for magners games are very small, yet Heineken crowds can be huge!

The Magners does a good job of what it does, as a platform for Ireland, Scotland and Wales to develop talent, but as a pure rugby spectacle it is miles away from the GP, or what the old welsh premiership was.

It is slightly embarrassing that there are more people at cardiff and swansea city football matches than rugby matches in wales
Stevey

Post by Stevey »

CK wrote:Built on sand???

Do you win 2 grand Slams if the pro rugby setup is built on sand??

If so, then sand it is!!

Yes two Grand Slams, very early in regional terms, (6/7 years is it?) The players from these GS's were brought through the club rugby system. Let's see how many GS's we win in the next 10 years.

With regards crowd levels, these are going to struggle as the "regions" have no identity with the rugby public.
Nothing can be done about that without a total restructrue but what is the excuse for low attendences in the Premiership?? Identity shouldn't be a problem here should it??
Crowds are depleting in all Premiership clubs as people are totally disallussioned with rugby in general, not supporting regions, as they have nothing in common with them, clubs because they feel they are second best and are treated so by the governing body, in fact I think they have been "rogered" in many ways.