Scarlets Folding!!??

Anything regional, again there are limits

Moderators: admin, The ref, Henry Crun

CK

Scarlets Folding!!??

Post by CK »

I have just read the most pathetic quote of all time on the BBC rugby site regarding the "loan" the WRU may offer the scarlet money grabbers to get them out of the sh**e. This is the quote:-

"There's a huge population in that part of Wales, I don't think people quite understand how much west of Llanelli there actually is,"

The WRU never gave a sh*te about how much North of Ne***rt there was when the regional structure was set up. Lets be honest theres far more rugby played north of Ne***rt than was ever played West Of scarlet Land.

Steve Lewis should keep his gob shut because if thats what passes for sensible comment then forget it!!!

Lets hope they loan them £2 million and Ponty/Bridgend sue them for £20 million for basically taking the wee and double standards.

If they have to keep 4 regions then fold the scarlet money grabbers and form a new one in a different region other than one on the M4 corridor.

Save the money WRU!!! Invest in a new region without a bloke in charge whos been bankrupt twice in his life already!!!!

I have spoken!! Goodnight!!
OBPRS
Eye Jay

Post by Eye Jay »

As ever in Wales CK, it's one rule for the Sospans, and one rule for the rest.

And when was it ever any different?
Blog The Steel Daffodil
Consultancy Eye For Finance
Twitter EyeJay2

The hoops are back!
Dil

Post by Dil »

Let them go bust ... would make my day.

Should then create a "Valleys" region for all teams north of the M4.
Dil

Post by Dil »

WRU turned down their request for a £2M loan at a meeting last night apparently.

Good enough for them I say.
piglet

Post by piglet »

:lol:
Graham

Post by Graham »

Dil wrote:WRU turned down their request for a £2M loan at a meeting last night apparently.

Good enough for them I say.
I have a feeling that the WRU weren't the only option. I'm pretty sure that they'd been offered £2m from another source.
Dil

Post by Dil »

They were Graham , by a local businessman but they turned that one down last week saying the terms were unacceptable.

Bucket collection at the local Tesco is their best option in my opinion ... I'm gutted .

:D
Graham

Post by Graham »

Dil wrote:They were Graham , by a local businessman but they turned that one down last week saying the terms were unacceptable.

Bucket collection at the local Tesco is their best option in my opinion ... I'm gutted .

:D
I can see how upset you are. Try not to let it get you down too much fella.
Audi Diesel

Tears in my soup...

Post by Audi Diesel »

Let's imagine that a team with plenty of history is based in a steel town. And that team is offered a chance to join a city fto form a regional team. In doing so, the steel town in the form of the new regional team would have access to population and sponsors.

But the steel town turns down the offer and goes it alone. That's right: this is Llanelli not Ebbw Vale. And now the Ospreys have got access to SWansea - a mere 7 miles from the Scarlets. They have the sponsors, the city and the population. As they get more successful, the writing will be on the wall.

Llanelli have been VERY foolish. No amount of loans can paper over that mistake. In the long-term, the Scarlets are not viable. They can buy some time by selling Mr Gallacher's land and build a new stadium. But it won't do the trick long-term. If we need another regional team, a new franchise will be set up elsewhere.

Its' the future. And its a black future for the Scarlets.
piglet

Post by piglet »

Well said AD.
I blame Llanelli for the demise of regional rugby before it ever got started with their insistance that they be a stand alone region.
Doesn't look such a wise decision now
Eye Jay

Good letter...

Post by Eye Jay »

.. in the South Wales Evening Post last week...

NO SYMPATHY FOR SCARLETS

10:00 - 14 October 2006

So the Welsh Rugby Union are considering bailing out the Scarlets yet again.I would like to ask the board and supporters of the Scarlets this. When you were looking after your own interests when Welsh rugby was falling apart and you fought tooth and nail to stand along while equally famous clubs like Pontypridd, Pontypool, Swansea and Neath, Bridgend and Ebbw Vale (I could go on) were put on the scrapheap, did any of you really give them a passing thought? I very much doubt it.

You used North Wales as part of your argument for standing alone, played a couple of games against poor opposition, then dropped them quicker than you could say 'stand alone' or 'Celtic Warriors'.

I, for one, have no sympathy whatsoever with your plight. You reap what you sow.

Yes, you are a famous and very successful club but when we had a chance to start with a clean sheet and really go for it with the regions, you looked after No. 1 and threw money around like confetti.

If the WRU do bail you out yet again what sort of a message will that send to the people in the valleys?

I have no doubt that most real rugby fans in Wales would want to help save your club had you not turned your back on them in their hour of need.

Just how much sympathy do you think you're getting now?

M. James

St Teilo Street, Pontarddulais.
Blog The Steel Daffodil
Consultancy Eye For Finance
Twitter EyeJay2

The hoops are back!
Malpas69

Post by Malpas69 »

If they are supposed to encompass (good word) North Wales as part of their "region" ... and they claim that they need a new ground/stadium ... what is wrong with the Racecourse Ground where Wrexham play ... ?? That probably has a capacity of around 20,000 ...

All they are trying to do is get money from the WRU to buy new overseas players. They can't fill the ground they have got ... let alone a new 15,000 capacity stadium ... let's hope that they fold ... that will serve them right. I'm really glad that the WRU has stood firm on this one ... 'bout time too.
Crime in multi-storey car parks - that is just wrong on so many different levels!!
CK

Post by CK »

Thats an excellent point that is worthy of repeating I think!!

If you go on the past financial history of "The Scarlets" and LLanelli before them, If the WRU did "loan" 2 million to them they would just go and buy a front row or a full back from New Zealand.

They were obviosley skint in the summer but instead of tightening their purse strings and accepting the crippling financial situation they were in, they went out and bought Stephen Jones. I'm not sure what they paid for him but his wages are certainly not minimum wage amounts. Buying players is not the sign of a financially struggling club, selling players is!!! If they sold their top stars to get a financial foothold then fair enough but they didn't. They just spent money they haven't / didn't have!!!!!

The WRU have got it spot on by not loaning them anything. They were given their money at the beginning of the season like everyone else was. Now get on with it. If you need money sell Dwayne Peel or Regan King to get it.

All this rubbish about moving to another stadium is just a smoke screen for exceptionallly bad money management for a long, long time at Stradey park.
OBPRS
Audi Diesel

Dear Dil

Post by Audi Diesel »

"There's a hole in my bucket...'
EIA

Post by EIA »

The feeling down west is that the Scarlets are playing a very dangerous game. The have posted to the general public that they are in financial difficulty yet a prominent local business man offered to loan the club £2 million to get them over their sticky patch. Allegedly (and many of you will understand why I use that term) the business man asked for Stradey Park as security for the loan but they were unable to give it as it had already been used as security. He also asked for a fair return on his investment (who can deny him that) and also changes to the main board as it was quite obvious that the current board couldn't recognise a profit from a loss. This loan offer was made two days before the WRU were to announce their decision on the debacle. By then the security of the finances at Stradey had been flushed out and it was plain for all to see that there was nothing in the pot to stop any further investment being peed up against a wall so to speak.
Allegedly the hardest part that the current board had to take was the change in management if the offer of £2 million was going to be taken, as there are all kinds of wheels operating within wheels in this saga. The current value of Stradey undeveloped has been put (allegedly) at around £2 million. The Scarlets bought it back from the WRU for £500,000. With planning permission it is expected to yield at least £16 million so you see there are huge amounts of money at stake here. Currently (allegedly) all the available land around Stradey has been bought up by a developer who likes to keep a close wrap on its directors identities and finances. this is leading to further divisions within the local community who been chastised by Hugh Evans in the local rag for not knowing what it was like to run a multi-million pound company. It was respectively pointed out that Mr Evans didn't know what it was like to live in a flooded house. Allegedly the local football team who have some prominent backers also appraoched the Scarlets and offered to part finance the new stadium providing they could share it but this offer too was thrown out.
But there you are things are heading the right way for the Scarlets to fold (hopefully) and if Cardiff City make it into the Premiership next season the Blues won't be far behind as all the youngsters will want to watch Man U and Liverpool instead of the Ospreys and Munster. Interesting times indeed.
CK raises an interesting point about Stephen Jones - for a club that are in financial difficulty how is a package worth £250,000 (allegedly) viable and when they made the offer did they make it with the knowledge that their pantry was shortly to be declared bare???
E I Addio Ebbw Almost Won the Cup