Dobbin in the Argus

If you have any comments or views on the Gwent Dragons this is the place to post.

Moderators: admin, The ref, Henry Crun

Eye Jay

Dobbin in the Argus

Post by Eye Jay »

ROBIN DAVEY SAYS: Dragons making genuine strides
12:00pm Tuesday 5th August 2008

NEWPORT Gwent Dragons have taken a major step forward towards becoming a genuine region on and off the field.

On the one hand the headquarters are in Newport, with the place name in the title and on the jerseys which are predominantly black and amber :shock: . But on the other the team management is drawn entirely from the Valleys.

Robert Beale’s worthy appointment as rugby manager puts him alongside his predecessor Jim McCreedy, now a member of the board, as a Risca boy while the pair both played for Newbridge, as did head coach Paul Turner of course.

Backs coach Dai Rees is also a former Newbridge player who coached Cross Keys for a number of years while forwards coach Leigh Jones is a Pontypool man.

So there is now a very broad sweep which should satisfy all but the fanatics who will go to their grave moaning about Newport losing its status or the unwillingness of the Dragons to play every other game away from Rodney Parade.

But the die has been very firmly cast, regional rugby is about to start its sixth season and it’s not going to change now.

At least the Dragons have encompassed the regional concept with its mixture of Newport and the Valleys, so far better to get on with it especially now that the Dragons have also brought in nine new players providing more depth and a greater competitive edge.

Beale will get out into the region, he’ll visit the schools and will work hard to knit the various strands together, determined to make the best of his new role which excites him considerably.

Isn't the bit I've bolded exactly the point?
Blog The Steel Daffodil
Consultancy Eye For Finance
Twitter EyeJay2

The hoops are back!
Dai Rob

Post by Dai Rob »

Everyone at the Dragons can work as hard as they wish, but with one-eyed-Dobbin "on their side" they face a very uphill task to make it a success out of the area.

Still my best wishes to everyone at the Dragons who wish to make it succeed - I personnally have no interest in anything conected with newport rfc, but that's my view. If someone else wants to support them.. ..carry on.
To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.. ..To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
String

Post by String »

N*****t can do anything it wants but until they stop calling and marketing itself as "NEWPORT" over anything else nobody from outside there is going to support it.
piglet

Post by piglet »

I must be one of them "fanatics". Guess which sort. Answers on a post card to.........