The Scarlets

Anything regional, again there are limits

Moderators: admin, The ref, Henry Crun

CK

The Scarlets

Post by CK »

Just read that the Scarlets have signed a Kiwi centre and an English scrum half.
Have I missed something or are Llanelli in charge of Welsh rugby at the moment and not the WRU.
If you look at their squad for next year they can theoretically field 11 non-welsh qualified players in their team each week. Can they do this and nobody from the WRU stop them.

I know this has got nothing to do with EV directly but I'm just curious how they can get away with this when small clubs like us have to abide by the rules or lump it!!!! The new criteria we have to meet states a maximum of 2 non welsh qualified players per squad doesn't it!!?? Can't we just ignore it as well then??!!

As a footnote , I'm sure Gareth Jenkins said he had a huge region to build a team from when regional rugby began (his arguement to stand alone.) His "region" must be the entire world cos last time I looked New Zealand wasn't in Carmarthenshire.
OBPRS
Mykal

Post by Mykal »

Surely you're not suggesting that the Scarlets are a law unto themselves?
Graham

Post by Graham »

It looks like the wru have relaxed the ruling about foreign players to cover the extra fixtures against the English teams. Moffett says that the regions don't have a free hand and must consult with the wru over signings.
Bob Norster of the Cardiff Blues wrote:"All our overseas signings are done in consultation with the Welsh Rugby Union,"
Full article in here
String

Post by String »

But as moffet always does what hes told by certain clubs its the same thing.
Rhodri

Post by Rhodri »

Here we go again, talking nonsense - not a Scarlets fan, but if you think they can field 11 non-Welsh qualified players....name them !
CK

Post by CK »

Thank you for spotting that Rhodri.
There are in fact only 9 non-welsh qualified players at the Scarlets who could play at any one time (However Gareth Jenkins has said he is still looking for another prop (probably non-wales qualified as all the best props in Wales have already been taken.)
If he does get one that will be 10 which isn't a million miles away from 11 is it !!??
For anyone who gives a damn here are the 9 so far (7 too many in my book.)

Simon Easterby - Ireland
Regan King - NZ
Mike Hercus - USA
Clive Stuart Smith - Eng
Inoke Afeaki - Tonga
David Duley - Australia
Hottie Louw - SA
Aisea Havili - Tonga
Salesi Finau - Tonga

Once again, thank you Rhodri for spotting my inaccuracy. However I feel you are missing the point as 9 (or 10) is still far too many for 1 region to have based on the fact there are only 4 regions in total for every player in Wales to aspire to.
The fact they let Andy Powell go and replaced him with a Tongan proves the point I think.
OBPRS
Poolersaint

Post by Poolersaint »

David Duley is welsh qualified.
Louw is a very good player and a good signing, as is Regan King .These players will do very well for the Scarlets but the likes of Finau and Havilli should be shown the door.
Also there are better welsh scrum halves around that they could have gone for as back up to Peel rather than Stuart-Smith - Rhodri McAtee (penzance), Matt Powell (Worcester), Warren Fury (Wasps)
Rhodri

Post by Rhodri »

Well, we are starting to get there.
For your information CK:
David Duley is not a non-Welsh qualified & has been released anyway,
Clive Stuart Smith is not a non-Welsh qualified player,
Aisea Havili has signed for Sale,
Salesi Finau has been released.

So now we are down to 5, one of which is Easterby who has been there for ever. While 5 may be too many, & I would agree, lets not exaggerate just to make a point.

Do you know what a "non-Welsh qualified player" even is :? :?
wiggy29

Post by wiggy29 »

Sorry lads but this topic should be under general regions so i know then not to read it. :?
Graham

Post by Graham »

The report on ICWALES says that they can have up to six foreigners.

They can name four in their squads for CL and Powergen competitions, but can name all six for the HC.