Undercooked?

The place for discussion of those things not related to the Club, but beware there are limits!!

Moderators: admin, The ref, Henry Crun

chris

Undercooked?

Post by chris »

Anyone else feel that playing just two games in pre-season is a bit of a risk?

I saw that most (if not all) Prem clubs played yesterday, and that for many this was their third game of pre-season already.

I just worry that with some players only getting 40 mins against Bedlinog, and with only the London Welsh fixture left, that we'll be going into the season desperately short of match practice.

Anyone share these concerns? Or alternatively able to explain our thinking here?
robert rees

Re: Undercooked?

Post by robert rees »

I see your concern and tbh I've got worries over it lack of game time and games. Even advertising them seemed down this yr on nanty and bedlinog games
viewfromthestand

Post by viewfromthestand »

I think we need to be starting the season with as many pairs of legs as we have, perhaps we are trying to save ourselves from the curse of the pre season match. Over the last couple of seasons we have played these pre season games and in doing so some of our players picked up serious injuries. Jonny Bowen broke his ankle and we had a shed full of pulled hamstrings. So, could this be the case?
I m more concerned re the way I m feeling about the season, still have nt got my season ticket and I have no burning eagerness to get it either. I m not fired up for the season. In fact my gargling routine has nt started and I have nt struck a chord of the Ebbw chant in practise for the first game. I spoke with another always present on the weekend and like me he has not got his ticket and is considering options. We ll see .
david brown

Post by david brown »

Have got my season ticket and two spare ones thanks to the WRU. Must express my very real concern about the lack of pre season friendlies. From experience ,no matter how hard you train,there is absolutely nothing to even approach achieving match fitness.We are by tradition slow starters .BRIDGEND last season for example ,just hope I will be proved wrong at STRADEY for our first game.
CJ

Post by CJ »

so we've been slow starters in the past and played more pre season friendlies.

Maybe its time for a change. Games against the likes of nantyglo (with no disrespect) are just a waste of time. People going through the motions and everything too easy. Look at the pontypool game last season. that was a waste of everybody's time going down there.

In fairness to bedlinog they put up a good fight and was the type of game we needed as I'm sure the london welsh game will be.
david brown

Post by david brown »

With the greatest respect,to spectators some friendly games appear to be a waste of time From the coaches and players view point ,it gives them an opportunity to practise ,line out calls ,three quartet moves and so on.The opposition may seem inept .but all can get a far better assessment than during a training session.even against weak opponents .
Malpas69

Post by Malpas69 »

To be honest, I (like many others) was a bit surprised at us only having two pre-season friendlies compared with the "usual" three. I will say though that the vast majority of this squad have been together now for a number of years, so should be used to playing together! I totally agree with the comments that smashing another team by 60/70 points does not serve much purpose, but I would have thought that another game might have helped if to serve no other purpose than to get used to the law changes for the coming season, especially those concerning the rolling maul, which is such a weapon in our arsenal. I think that it will take us a few games to get used to utilising the rolling maul to our usual great affect. At least only having two pre-season friendlies will reduce the risk of our key players picking up injuries.
Crime in multi-storey car parks - that is just wrong on so many different levels!!