Dragons takeover

If you have any comments or views on the Gwent Dragons this is the place to post.

Moderators: admin, The ref, Henry Crun

robert rees

Dragons takeover

Post by robert rees »

Many may not give a hoot, but for those who do. The Newport Gwent Dragons are being taken over by the WRU and the name will be changed to the Dragons. For all details on the takeover, take a look on my piece below and feel free to add any opinions on the matter.
Fosco

Re: Dragons takeover

Post by Fosco »

I have vehemently, bitterly and wholeheartedly despised the Newport Gwent Dragons since their inception: just as I have despised the entire idea that we have “regional” rugby in Wales. We don’t. We have always had “superclub” rugby, masquerading as regional, in an entirely futile attempt to convince the clubs and their fans that the “regions” were somehow inclusive. Tony Brown and Martyn Hazell were key figures in creating this setup and in excluding the likes of Ebbw Vale. I’m glad they have p***ed away so much money on a failed concept and I am glad that they are now, finally, giving in to reality.

If the Dragons can, under WRU ownership, finally become a true region that reaches out and encompasses a range of clubs, providing quality rugby at the top level (instead of the insipid dross that passes for top-tier Pro 12 rugby) then even a bitter old git like me might get behind them.

“It is finally time for those who claimed they wouldn’t go; due to the name, to put their money where their mouth is.” I’ll support the Gwent regional club when it starts to reach out: I won’t be taken in by a bit of gesture politics. I am hopeful: but there is still a lot of damage to be undone. Dropping “Newport” is a good start – but only a start.
Never mind mun - we're playing downhill second half!
robert rees

Post by robert rees »

I see where your coming from, the comment about money where your mouth is is more aimed at those, especially in welsh rugby twitter/facebook who claim the name is the only thing holding them back.
String

Post by String »

Still hoping they go completely bust at some point. Although i am enjoying their laughable mediocrity at the moment.