TATA STEEL PRE SEASON FRIENDLY

Whether you're looking forward to kick-off or the final whistle has blown, this is the place for supporters of EVRFC

Moderators: admin, The ref, Henry Crun

viewfromthestand

TATA STEEL PRE SEASON FRIENDLY

Post by viewfromthestand »

Firstly, great to be getting back to the rugby season and a happy new season to all involved with Ebbw Vale. Thought yesterdays game at Tata was a solid run out for our lads. Looks like we have some pace and quality in the backs and our pack was solid and robust. Not a backward step taken by any of the team. Tata were no mugs having finished third in the championship last season. There rarely got into our half. The left winger for Ebbw Toby Fricker looks like he is going to be a real handful for the opposition. Got into the game at every oppurtunity. The scrum half from Beddau looked a tryer. Rhys Francis was a fourth backrower playing at hooker. Thought the young front rowers did well and the Talisman Rob Sevenoaks was at his mercurial best. Ross looks fit and up for the season. I was glad I travelled as I left very up beat for the forthcoming season.
html junkie

Re: TATA STEEL PRE SEASON FRIENDLY

Post by html junkie »

viewfromthestand wrote:Firstly, great to be getting back to the rugby season and a happy new season to all involved with Ebbw Vale. Thought yesterdays game at Tata was a solid run out for our lads. Looks like we have some pace and quality in the backs and our pack was solid and robust. Not a backward step taken by any of the team. Tata were no mugs having finished third in the championship last season. There rarely got into our half. The left winger for Ebbw Toby Fricker looks like he is going to be a real handful for the opposition. Got into the game at every oppurtunity. The scrum half from Beddau looked a tryer. Rhys Francis was a fourth backrower playing at hooker. Thought the young front rowers did well and the Talisman Rob Sevenoaks was at his mercurial best. Ross looks fit and up for the season. I was glad I travelled as I left very up beat for the forthcoming season.
I must say I agree with all of this VFTS. It will take a while for these new boys to become acquainted with each other and develop that kind of understanding that comesonly with time and practice, but the signs were very encouraging. To the players you mention (and I, too, liked the look of young Fricker) I would add Cameron and Spencer. We always look a different side when Cameron plays, he seems to lift the energy levels! Great to see him standing up for himself against a couple of cheapshots from an opponent, too! Also - and I feel like this should always be taken as read - Rhys Clarke stood out in all he did.

I thought the strong wind had an influence on play. Neither side really cottoned on that long line out throws, and long midfield passes were doomed! Doomed I tell ya! There's a little lesson there about adjusting to conditions, perhaps. I am sure the coaches will get the players thinking about this.

I left feeling very positive, thinking about what I'd seen and those players unavailable on Saturday who will be added to the mix: Joe and Dom Franchi, Chunky, Ashley, Andy Evans and Will Holley for starters. Then there are the Academy lads as well...

Last, but definitely not least, thanks to Tata for good beer, the balcony vantage point, a fine afternoon - I came home with a suntan - and a fantastic playing surface. Good luck to them for the championship season!
Martyn Madden: That's show business
Me: **** off!