Bargoed

Whether you're looking forward to kick-off or the final whistle has blown, this is the place for supporters of EVRFC

Moderators: admin, The ref, Henry Crun

AJP

Bargoed

Post by AJP »

Bargoed RFC. Saturday 26th August

Ebbw Vale RFC will begin their league campaign with a visit to Bargoed on Saturday and the Addicts will be providing transport to the game.

The group will meet at Wetherspoons in town at 12pm to leave for Bargoed at 12.30pm.
The bus will then drop off the group at the back of town on their return.

Anyone wishing to travel with the Addicts can book their seat by calling 07766490358

#FeelTheSteel
All you have to do is..........
"Just think orange!"
marshomano

Re: Bargoed

Post by marshomano »

CARL AT FULLBACK!?!?

HEAD COACH LEE DAVIES LOOKS FORWARD TO SATURDAY’S LEAGUE OPENER AT BARGOED.
“The first game of the season is always the toughest selection of them all. The boys have worked their socks off over pre-season and all deserve a shot. However only 23 can be selected and that decision obviously lies with Ben and me.

To add to that there is the tension of a local derby to start us off. Bargoed Park is never an easy trip; I visited a few times whilst coaching at Beddau and was always met with a physical and combative home team. I experienced this again on the three occasions we played them at home last season. So I expect nothing less this Saturday when we begin our Principality campaign there.

We have selected a real mix of youth and experience which I believe gives us the balance of combinations to play the style of game we desire. I’m sure our new recruits will settle in to the Premiership as Ebbw Vale players, wearing their hearts on their sleeves as many have done before them.

Here’s to a good season.”

The squad is:
Carl Meyer, Steffan Thomas, Srdan Majkic, Dom Franchi, Toby Fricker; Callum Hall, Dai Jones; Ross Jones, Joe Franchi, Rob Sevenoaks; Kristian Parker; Lance Randall; Rhys Clarke, Ronny Keynes (c), Jonathan Davies.
Bench:Liam Belcher, Joel Harries, Dean Brooker, Cameron Regan, Owen Jones, Carl Lewis, Lewis Dennett, James Lewis.
marshomano

Post by marshomano »

A few recognizable faces in that Bargoed line up too

Wing: Duane Dyer
Outside Centre: Jordan Howells
Inside Centre: Darren Humphries
Wing: David Evans
Outsidehalf: Iain John Smerdon
Scrumhalf: Matthew Bancroft
Loosehead: Rhys Morgan
Hooker: Lewys Lippiett
Tighthead: Jack Williams
Second Row: Matthew Thomas
Second Row: Louis Blacker
Blindside Flanker: Adam John Coupe
Openside Flanker: Alex Herbert
Number 8: Ieuan Jones
Sub 1: James Hallett
Sub 2: Julian Mogg
Sub 3: Luke Smalley
Sub 4: Grant Rogers
Sub 5: Andrew Leigh Meades
Sub 6: Lewis Weyman
Sub 7: Kieron Clifford Brown
Sub 8: Scott Evans
robert rees

Post by robert rees »

Solid start. All we needed was the win, as with the points reset (8-1 from top to .bottom) I dont see bonus points being a huge issue.

Thought our lineouts were very good, even pressured theirs. Scrums were poor from both sides today, oaksy didn't have his greatest game, but neither did their tighthead.

Good to see us finally run some ball, and we looked very sharp. Toby, steffan, Carl all running solid rugby. Callum hall looks a solid playmaker and just needs to settle down with the kicking from hand. Lewis Dennett will he one to push for the starting jersey too.

A good win against a stubborn and hard working bargoed side
Stevey

Post by Stevey »

Fair assessment there Rob. Think our scrum wasn't dominant as in past seasons and needs work, penalty try showed that.
chris

Post by chris »

Agree with much of what has been said above. Also worth noting that we gifted Bargoed 7 points, with some stupid decision making on our own line.

Nice to see us spreading the ball a bit more and when we played with quick ball we looked really dangerous. For me the focus needs to be on getting ball away quicker from breakdowns, too often yesterday we were slow and ponderous, to give our outside backs more time and space.

Toby Fricker in particular was a real handful. Carl Meyer also had a great game, although I imagine that we won't see too much more of him in an Ebbw shirt this year.

Bargoed is always a tough place to go, so all in all a good solid win, and plenty to be encouraged about - roll on Ponty.
jadegoodiesfridge

Post by jadegoodiesfridge »

I wondered last night how many of the 23 were making their league debuts,thankfully Robert has put me out of my misery on the homepage,and the eight in question certainly showed up well yesterday against the usual dogged Bargoed opposition.
A really gutsy forward display from the home eight who gave us a bloody good outing.Fair play to them.
We've been frustrated in recent seasons by below par performances from the backs.Not so yesterday.A superb display from the back line both in attack and defence,with a notable mention to Toby Fricker who has the makings of a crowd favourite.
All in all quite happy leaving the ground ....and dare I say it,I thought Ian Davies had a good game too ( until he lost his stopwatch again)
david brown

Post by david brown »

Standing behind our goal posts at 1620 .I eagerly awaited the final whistle ,We had a scrum which went backwards and sidewards.So could someone with more Knowledge than me .please explain how he gave a penalty try ???? It was the first scrum and normally are reset .
marshomano

Post by marshomano »

Any word on how young Toby Fricker is doing? Fantastic game he had on Saturday, sad for him to go off with an injury late on, but he would be a great asset for us against Ponty tomorrow night