Future of the Premiership

You'll never guess what I heard in the pub/club/Tesco's last night.......

Moderators: admin, The ref, Henry Crun

Malpas69

Future of the Premiership

Post by Malpas69 »

Some interesting thoughts and/or proposals about the future of the Premiership in today's Wales Online:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wru-u ... y-14136064
Crime in multi-storey car parks - that is just wrong on so many different levels!!
Nick

Re: Future of the Premiership

Post by Nick »

Very confusing and contradictory piece from Jeffries.
He calls the Premiership a "failed set-up" but misses the point that it was set up by those (like him) advocating so-called "regional rugby". It was an antipodean idea that simply didn't translate to Welsh rugby, it has only ever succeeded where club rugby has not been part of the picture - as in Ireland for instance. In Scotland like Wales it has decimated former high profile rugby clubs and like Wales has produced nothing to show for their efforts.
The fact that Supporters are walking away from club rugby which has more to do with the lack meaningful regular fixtures has by-passed him completely. It is strange that he makes the point that lack of supporters at Premiership level is an issue but if no-one turns up to watch a regional A side then that wouldn't be a problem - just carry on burning the money for the good of the National squad.
Unfortunately he talks a lot about "filtering down" and "Rejuvenation" but as usual with practitioners of verbiage he fails completely to say how this will come about. Perhaps he has a feeling in his water.
viewfromthestand

Post by viewfromthestand »

Having read the Wales on line statement from Merthyr money bags Sir Stan I know it All Thomas. Then the statement from Ben Jeffries they both have differing views but one thing in common too much money and boredom. There will never be big crowds in regional games in Wales until the regions have no club relationship.All that was developed when the WRU went down the super club route was resentment. I agree that there is not enough money available to continue to fund a semi pro league. With clubs like us at EVRFC not having super rich benefactors. We rely on the payments from WRU . i believe we need to keep the clubs involved in the premiership. Play games home and away weekly basis. Enforce an age and wage cap across all clubs. Go back to clubs playing in B and I etc. Have one cup. No plate or bowl . Every club that enters goes in one draw. Get some guant killers again. Days like when Llanharan beat Cardiff and Brynmawr beat Cardiff . Supporters loved these fixtures. Club treasurers loved these fixtures and the cup was more meaningful. It s all about making rugby attractive again . A succesful league and cup system will develop this. No ring fences. No special treatment. Like Newport had over several seasons when they finished bottom of the league but were thrown a lifeline.
piglet

Post by piglet »

The Premier Division could be better financed and develop more players if the money wasted on the Welsh 7's was re-allocated to the Premier clubs.
I know no one who has any interest in the 7's and I fail to see that it has developed players for the national side that would not have come through the 15 man route.