Bridgend

Whether you're looking forward to kick-off or the final whistle has blown, this is the place for supporters of EVRFC

Moderators: admin, The ref, Henry Crun

jadegoodiesfridge

Bridgend

Post by jadegoodiesfridge »

Bridgend away. Never a place I relish going to.Always a tough old slog ,and that was certainly the case yesterday in the rain and gloom.Think we got the tactics right,a forward orientated game ,sucking the life out of the Bridgend eight until they get penalised ,and take the points when offered.The scoreboard was ticking over nicely ,14-0 up with just over 20 to go .One more score and it was game over for Bridgend......then they get a breakthrough they were hoping for with Joe Franchi's silly late shoulder charge.Penalty where the ball landed,kick to the corner ,converted try and unbelievably Bridgend are back in it at 14-7 .After that ,they threw the proverbial kitchen sink at us and an uncomfortable last 20 ensued.Thought the "high tackle " to bring it to 14-10 was a wrong call by the ref,looked a great hit to me .Didn't hear any Bridge supporters complaining,but it is what it is .Heroic defence in the end by the boys ,and to be fair I think Ebbw just about deserved the W.but lessons learned .We must stop giving away silly penalties,Joe wasn't the only one at fault,closing the gap at our own line-out,scrummaging offences on our put in .Silly,frustrating. Good 'keep ball " at the end though to wind down the last two minutes as we did against RGC,All in all ,not a classic,but a handy 4 points against a side who by right shouldn't be battling against the drop .Bridgend are too good for that.They are fighting for their lives down there,and these next few games against teams in a similar position are really going to be tougher than expected methinks.Oh well ! The cup next ,Merthyr away.Did anyone see that game last night v Aberavon ??? Hopefully Locke gets a lengthy ban ,starting next week.Thug.
viewfromthestand

Re: Bridgend

Post by viewfromthestand »

A very forthright honest review Mr Fridge, we looked really good first half . Controlling every aspect of the game. We bossed Bridgend. Second half we went completely off the boil and made Bridgend look a decent side. That said they are a decent side who have been unlucky several times this season. I sincerely hope they don t get the dreaded drop, far to much history at the club for them to start the downward spiral which will occur as the money and player stream will dry up.
Back to the game, There were some notable happenings throughout the game but the amazing run by Cam Regan was a beauty, had we managed to get up in support we could well have scored a length of the field try but unfortunately , Cam was on his own as our players were caught on the backfoot. Then after a wonderous display at tighthead there was a first for Mr Sevenoaks . He is a powerhouse at tighthead but we saw his nifty footwork too, he beat a man and careered at flat out pace to side step around a Bridgend player. Because I know many of you won t believe it I will repeat ,side stepped and went flat out for 6 feet. An amazing sight and worth the journey. Oaksy the thinking man s prop.
On to Merthyr next week and how I hope for neutral touch judges as they are a niggly bunch. Lot s of off the ball stuff. We need to put together 80 minutes and not kick aimlessly down the throats of their back three as they ll come back at pace . Fingers crossed we will do it
Stevey

Post by Stevey »

Two good assessments, hope we fire at Merthyr this week and have a strong ref who won't put up with the Chief's half time "talk".
david brown

Post by david brown »

Should be one hell of a game.Any news about CARL? Wonder if LOCKE will be suspended for his red card,?
viewfromthestand

Post by viewfromthestand »

Locke will be available Dave, he can play until the disciplinary panel meet. Great pity as he is the Merthyr pack
marshomano

Post by marshomano »

The hearings take place each week I think
gtc

Post by gtc »

Hearings are usually on the first Tuesday of every month.
marshomano

Post by marshomano »

I didn't know this. On the wru website it says the following. Hearings take place throughout the course of the season on a weekly basis at Principality Stadium and the results of all disciplinary cases are made available online.