Aberavon

Whether you're looking forward to kick-off or the final whistle has blown, this is the place for supporters of EVRFC

Moderators: admin, The ref, Henry Crun

String

Aberavon

Post by String »

A tough but deserved win. Wasn't expecting us to come away with that tonight given how well Aberavon were doing.

First 20 mins a bit grim, solid defence but couldn't get our hands on the ball or out of our half.

Far too much kicking as a first choice instead of moving the ball, made worse by a lot of those kicks were aimless and often returned with interest.

Second half much more of a contest, started running and playing (and to be fair, was perfect running rugby weather).

Again though our solid defence won that game. Its committed and hard for the whole game and has been all season.

Referee as usual not great and totally lost control a few times when things kicked off. The handbags (and comedy football dive in the middle) just before half time with the cards then the 15 v 15 at the end after the try saving tackle.
Quite how he decided who got red cards from that is a mystery especially given several absolutely clear elbows from behind off Aberavon (21 and 22 come to mind for that).

Got to be happy with that win though - away against top of the league.

One thing i might have missed - Aberavon hooker went off early on injured, replaced by 19.
19 had no ability to throw the ball straight, nor any real ability to actually hook. Was costing them dearly.
Towards the end im sure i saw No2 back on to take their potentially crucial throws in the last few minutes. Did i imagine this, did they genuinely run out of replacements (i know they used him all) or did he magically get better and sent back on to help them win some ball exploiting the front row rules?
(Or is my eyesight just bad enough i imagined a 2 at the end, which is totally possible?)
bloodknock

Re: Aberavon

Post by bloodknock »

BRILLIANT WIN - not too often we come away with something from there. Well Done EBBW!
DaiLew

Post by DaiLew »

Do you know who the red cards were issued to and why? Thanks.
String

Post by String »

The official match report says Dom Franchi and Lewis Young got reds for the fight.
marshomano

Post by marshomano »

I for one really enjoyed Aberavons post match impartial view of the game that they published on their website. Especially the last paragraph

"Home supporters were incensed at the sight of prop Chris Davies being set upon by two opponents, which went unpunished, and then deep into stoppage time, with the Wizards laying siege to the visitors’ line, another free-for-all broke out with punches flying in all directions. After conferring with both assistant referees, Mr Davies singled out Ebbw Vale centre Dominic Franchi and flanker Lewis Young, and Aberavon prop Jordan Walters for red cards"
String

Post by String »

Didn't see that bit at all.

What i saw was try saving tackle, Aberavon losing it then the prop coming in from miles away with elbows to the back of the head and it spiralling from there.

Would like some sort of independent analysis of the video to cite those that got missed but i suspect Aberavon really really dont want that to happen.

Given the amount of punches being thrown (and i have several on photos of Aberavon players both throwing and making contact) i cant work out how the hell we got 2 reds to their 1. Especially when the red prop was the instigator.

Strange incident that other than the last 1 minute of each half was a hard, clean game with 2 sides playing good running rugby. It wasn't a nasty game as such.
DaiLew

Post by DaiLew »

Thanks