Merthyr (3rd time unlucky)

Whether you're looking forward to kick-off or the final whistle has blown, this is the place for supporters of EVRFC

Moderators: admin, The ref, Henry Crun

String

Merthyr (3rd time unlucky)

Post by String »

Very disappointing game.
Half time i thought we'd win that - only a few points behind and playing with the strong wind second half.

Lineout again let us down. Yes conditions were awful but we were second best every time. No platform at all to work off meaning no amount of wind was going to help.

Scrum to me looked utterly dominant but the penalty count against suggests the referee saw something different.

Merthyr didn't need to play. Just sit back, steal our ball, kick the penalties. No need (or ability) to create anything. Just sit back and wait for the mistakes.
We tried the high ball in the wind which was the correct decision but more often than not the chase was poor and just gifted possession.

That was a game we really should have won. Its certainly a game a losing bonus point should have been awarded but a barrage of errors and poor decisions in the last 10 minutes meant we were well beaten.

Huge amounts of Merthyr time wasting but if you get away with it why not? The new laws brought in for 60 second penalty are a good idea but pointless if the officials are going to ignore them and allow 3-4 minutes at times as before.

Am i right in that's the first game of the season we've failed to score a single try?

Unimpressed with the forearm to face being awarded no more than a penalty (and even less impressed by the smug laughter as the culprit walked away knowing full well what had happened).

Aberavon next and the most important game of the season. Fail there and playoff chances are over. Win and we could just about hold onto 4th.