Dragons on the road?

If you have any comments or views on the Gwent Dragons this is the place to post.

Moderators: admin, The ref, Henry Crun

Graham

Dragons on the road?

Post by Graham »

I realise that peoples attituides change over a period of time, and despite knowing the response this question would receive a year ago, I thought I'd ask it now.

I have a gut feeling that next season the Dragons will try to appease the fan base from the valleys that it alienated (particularly by the "Newport Only Brigade"). My hunch (which is well known for being wrong) is that they will try to play an occasional meaningless zero-income type of game (Connaught for example) at a ground elsewhere in the region.

If they attempt to win the alienated valley people over, how many of you would go to the game/games if for example they played Connaught or Glasgow at EXP or Pooler Park? I have the feeling that Paul Turner is realistic enough to realise that the Dragons need every bit of help they can get from the region it is supposed to represent, especially since their bottomless money pit has now left. Sadly for the Dragons, I think Turner is the only one who thinks this way.

So, if the Dragons said they'd play a Celtic League match up here or down Pooler, would you go?
String

Post by String »

I wouldnt.

Why the hell would i want to support a team called newport run by the board of newport ?

The first thing they need to do in order to get fans is to get rid of the newport references. Then people might actually think the team is at least trying to represent them.
CJ

Yes, We Should.

Post by CJ »

I think we should all turn out if there is a game at exp, no matter how meaningless the game is.

If we can get a good crowd, it will proove a point.

Will show them that they stuffed up, and should have done this at the very begining. We could even support the opposition, just make the effort and go.

Being in the good books could also help with getting players on loan.

How embarrising would it be for them saying we wouldnt get the crowds if we had a full banking.
CODLING AND HORGAN, GONNA DO THE JOB!!
String

Post by String »

Big crowd with banners all supporting the opposition might get a message across.

Full crowd and not doing the above would mean they've won - people have accepted its newport.
RhysJervis

Post by RhysJervis »

String wrote: Full crowd and not doing the above would mean they've won
You have no idea how pathetic that sounds mate.
...GARN RFC...
Dil

Post by Dil »

Going down half time when the gates were open and free to get in and then taking banners in would be better. No crowd / no money first half ... big anti crowd / no money second half .... even better.

PS anyone else heard they wanted us to play Tupo and Ben Breeze last week but we would only agree to stick them on the bench. Too right in my opinion , what type of message would that give to the guys we've got who turn up for training week in week out to be replaced by someone from our beloved region who has shafted us and the rest of Gwent for the last two seasons !

PPS Where can I buy a Blues shirt Gra ?
Dil

Post by Dil »

PPS Rhys ... along with the rest of your missing thousands , I'm pathetic too.
Graham

Post by Graham »

Dil wrote:PS anyone else heard they wanted us to play Tupo and Ben Breeze last week but we would only agree to stick them on the bench. Too right in my opinion, what type of message would that give to the guys.

Too right mate. As nice as it was to have Sione on the bench and as well as he played, if we don't have injury problems in the positions relevant to the players we are asked to play, they should be on the bench and not starting ahead of the lads who have been training hard and trying hard for their position (and club) all season. On the bench will do just fine, unless there are injuries.

Dil wrote:PPS Where can I buy a Blues shirt Gra ?
Try in here (as if you could ever bring yourself to not follow your beloved Ebbw). You've got the Ebbw bug mate, and there is no escape from it when you've been bitten.
Graham

Post by Graham »

Dil wrote:PPS Rhys ... along with the rest of your missing thousands , I'm pathetic too.
Count me in too then fella. Mind you, I've gone past caring what they do one way or the other.

Apathy rules. :lol:
String

Post by String »

RhysJervis wrote:
String wrote: Full crowd and not doing the above would mean they've won
You have no idea how pathetic that sounds mate.
So explain to us, the newport missing thousands WHY exactly why us, from ebbw vale/ebbw vale supporters should be expected to support a newport based team called newport representing newport?
Especially after the backstabbing involved in their setting up to start with.

Dont try the "its your regional team" crap either - thats long since been disproven - if they were a regional team they wouldnt go out of their way to call themselves newport and advertise it everywhere.