Advice please - what would you do?

As suggested in our Forums, here is the place to post all those non-rugby related issues

Moderators: The ref, Henry Crun

Graham

Advice please - what would you do?

Post by Graham »

My wife has just come back from town and is really wound up (and it’s her birthday). While she was in a shop some prat in a car tried to park by her car (just outside the shop the wife was in). He obviously didn't know how to drive properly as he badly misjudged it and bumped the car. My wife saw it and went out to confront him, but as she got to the car window and said "hang on a minute, that's my car" (or something to that effect) he grinned at her and drove off. Fortunately there was another witness who saw the whole thing and was even good enough to get the registration.

Luckily there is no noticeable damage to the car, so I wouldn't be too concerned about kicking up a fuss over that, but the thing that is bothering me is that he actually just looked at the wife, who was trying to stop him, grinned at her and drove off.

Now I know most people have "touches" when driving and that no real damage is done, but at the moment I am considering phoning the police and reporting this prat for leaving the scene of an accident.

What do you think? What would you do?
Dai Rob

Post by Dai Rob »

Personal opinion only here Graham, but here goes..

..the police will not want to know. They may turn up eventually, but don't wait up for them. No-one was injured as a result of the occurrence so they don't class it as a priority.. ..having said that, I have copied some information for you below, taken from an insurance website:

"You must stop if any other person or animal has been hurt, or if any other vehicle or property has been damaged. DO NOT DRIVE AWAY.

Make sure you obtain the names, addresses and telephone numbers of any drivers, passengers or pedestrians involved in the accident and any witnesses. You should also ask the drivers of other cars involved for the name of their insurance company and their policy number. They are obliged to provide this information under the Road Traffic Act. Call the police if anyone is injured or if the other driver leaves without stopping or doesn’t give their details."

Hope this helps fella - good luck.
To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.. ..To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
Graham

Post by Graham »

Cheers Dai.

It's unbelievable that anyone with a shred of decency would act in the manner this prat did. The fact there is no obvious damage is irrelevant, he had no way of knowing this. To just drive off and grin at the owner of the car just makes this person scum in my opinion.

As there are enough eye witnesses, I'm sure that eventually the police could/would have him for leaving the scene of an accident and it would be exactly what he deserves. I'm having a good think about this one and trying to put my hatred of this brain-dead prat to one side and look at it from another angle.
Dai Rob

Post by Dai Rob »

One other thought Graham, maybe (just maybe) the guy in question doesn't have insurance - you'd be surprised what's about.
To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.. ..To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
Graham

Post by Graham »

Dai Rob wrote:One other thought Graham, maybe (just maybe) the guy in question doesn't have insurance - you'd be surprised what's about.
Ah now that is something that I hadn't thought of.
piglet

Post by piglet »

The criminal (motoring) offence is failing to stop at the scene of an accident (where damage is caused to third party property) or alternatively failure to report to the police as soon as practical and in any event within 24 hours.

This is serious stuff with a substantial number of points imposed by the Court in the event of conviction.

The issue would be whether damage was caused to the vehicle.

If so the police should take this seriously
Graham

Post by Graham »

piglet wrote:The criminal (motoring) offence is failing to stop at the scene of an accident (where damage is caused to third party property) or alternatively failure to report to the police as soon as practical and in any event within 24 hours.

This is serious stuff with a substantial number of points imposed by the Court in the event of conviction.

The issue would be whether damage was caused to the vehicle.

If so the police should take this seriously
Cheers for that mate. Fortunately (or unfortunately - depending on how you look at it) there was not what I would call "damage". There is a slight mark that I know can be polished out or touched up at little or no expense.

I just think it's extremely "naughty" to leave the scene without first making sure there is no damage, and shows a distinct lack of intestinal fortitude (and maturity) to run away after your sub-standard driving has resulted in a bump.
piglet

Post by piglet »

I agree Graham it is annoying. A guy with a Ferrari wound me up once and shoved a coffee cup up each exhaust pipe when he was parked up.

Unfortunately I was not there to see the effect when he drove off.

If anyone in authority is reading this, I made this up to make Graham feel better.
Graham

Post by Graham »

piglet wrote:I agree Graham it is annoying. A guy with a Ferrari wound me up once and shoved a coffee cup up each exhaust pipe when he was parked up.

Unfortunately I was not there to see the effect when he drove off.

If anyone in authority is reading this, I made this up to make Graham feel better.
Lovely. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Take a tip from the Eddy Murphy film "Beverly Hills Cop" and next time stuff a banana up his pipe (or and apple if it's a bigger pipe).