Training Tonight

Whether you're looking forward to kick-off or the final whistle has blown, this is the place for supporters of EVRFC

Moderators: admin, The ref, Henry Crun

Graham

Training Tonight

Post by Graham »

Not a huge number of players training tonight, so there must be a few who are still nursing injuries. Good to see Chunky training with the squad even though he won't be able to play until next season some time. He is a great pack leader, and I hope that his training with the team is rubbing off on the rest of them.

I've heard that we are down to two genuine second rows as Kuli has called time on his playing career. We owe that man a massive debt for the services and dedication that he's put in to this club. Has any player this season put in more effort than he has while on the pitch? I doubt it. As far as I am concerned this is rumour and not fact, but if/when it is confirmed, I seriously think the club should lay on something for the man. He has been a great clubman who sets a great example on and off the field.

Good to see that Scotty Horner is training. He isn't doing much in the line of contact work, but was doing some running to try out his ankle. He said it's still quite sore and the fact he left a good half hour before the others indicates that he won't be available for a while yet. Shame really, because we could do with him on the wing so that Kris can get back to his proper position. But saying that, barring injuries/unavailability, is there any reason that we can't play Quirky at full back, Macca on the wing and put Kris back in the centre where he can make his biggest impact?

Matthew Griffiths was watching training tonight. He is suffering from a particularly nasty hamstring problem (are there any nice ones?). He is hoping to get back in for the last couple of games of the season. The way he was walking showed quite clearly how much discomfort the man is in. He has been really unlucky this season. I'm sure that as soon as he's fully fit, he will make a big impact in the centre for us. That is a guy who you can see enjoys his rugby every time he's on the pitch.

More than one prop training tonight so there's an improvement eh? Also Chris Thomas seemed to come through the session relatively unscathed. I think he's been suffering with a shoulder problem (?). I didn't see Abu tonight, but someone said he was having some physio work done. He is still struggling with a neck injury.

Manu seemed to be fine which comes as a relief, as we will definitely need an impact player against Newbridge. I wouldn't be too shocked to see him playing against his brother this weekend. Newbridge have already borrowed Sione (two weeks ago) and they could well call on him again. Interesting to see how they cope with playing against each other.

Hopefully this enforced gap between games has given some injuries time to heal, but we won't know the whole story until Saturday's team is announced. Let’s just hope that Newbridge don’t load their team up with Dragons eh?
Malpas69

Re: Training Tonight

Post by Malpas69 »

Not a huge number of players training tonight, so there must be a few who are still nursing injuries.
That sounds a bit ominous ... !!

Which key members of the team/squad were missing ... ??

Was Jason Williams there ... ??

Second row worries me as well ...

Starting to get very twitchy now ...
Crime in multi-storey car parks - that is just wrong on so many different levels!!
Graham

Re: Training Tonight

Post by Graham »

Malpas69 wrote:
Not a huge number of players training tonight, so there must be a few who are still nursing injuries.
That sounds a bit ominous ... !!

Which key members of the team/squad were missing ... ??

Was Jason Williams there ... ??

Second row worries me as well ...

Starting to get very twitchy now ...
I'm going to avoid worrying until the team is announced. The treatment table seems to be very busy, so that could be the reason for several of the players not training last night. We should get a better idea after tomorrow's session.

PS Jason was training and didn't seem to have any problems.
Malpas69

Training Tonight

Post by Malpas69 »

Thanks Graham

Perhaps you can update us with who is fit/unfit ... or even tell us the team after training tomorrow.

I'm sure a lot of people (including myself) would be very grateful for any info ...
Crime in multi-storey car parks - that is just wrong on so many different levels!!
Graham

Post by Graham »

Better turn out tonight (Thursday). Still a couple missing, but more to feel upbeat about. Hard to make a final guess at the starting line up for Saturday's match because there were so many variations and combinations toward the end.

At least there was a better turn out.

FORWARDS.
Front row training were Lyn, Lee, Abu, Greg and Chris.
Locks as usual were Bulldog and Richard.
Back row Manu, Scu, Tristan, Cleaver. Matt Griffin trained but seems highly unlikely to play.

BACKS.
Both scrum halves were there.
Byron and Jason trained.
Hnadsome, Dan, Kris were ok.
Bev, Macca, Quirky and Scotty trained but Scotty had to have his ankle strapped, so there is a question mark over him.

I've probably misssed a couple, but this is my wild stab in the dark....

Front Row, Lyn, Lee and Chris
Locks, Bulldog and Richard
Back row, Cleaver, Scu and Tristan
S/H, Scott Headington
O/H, Jason
Wings, Macca and Bev
Centres, Kris and Dan
FB, Quirky

We shall have to wait for Rob to be passed the information before we know who is playing, but I'm sure that whoever is wearing the Ebbw jersey will be getting our full support.

Chunky was training again and looked like he was enjoying it. Obviously out until next season.

Matthew Griffiths (centre) had a physio session and then came up to the field for a gentle trot around. He looked a lot more comfortable than on Tuesday so we may see him for the last couple of games.

No Farmer this week at all. No idea why, but we could really use him as an extra option at lock on Saturday if he's available.

I never realised exactly how much Joel Griffin looks like Joe Pasquale when he's wearing his glasses. I know that some of the fans have been calling him "Pasquale", but until I saw him with the glasses on tonight I didn't realise it. So, Joe Pasquale (sorry, I mean Joel) made an appearance but didn't actually train. This guy has been so unlucky with injuries, I think/hope there is more to come from him in an Ebbw jersey.

By the way, Chay's new haircut is brilliant (I'm sure he thinks he's me). 8) :wink:
Malpas69

Training Tonight

Post by Malpas69 »

Well it does sound a little bit more positive than Tuesday (or whenever it was) ...

Personally, given the information kindly provided ... I hope the team is ...

15. Quirky
14. Macca
13. Kris
12. Handsome
11. Bev
10. Jason
9. Scott
1. Lyn
2. Chris
3. Abu
4. Bulldog
5. Richard
6. Cleaver
7. Scu
8. Manu

God ... I really hope we can manage to grind out a win tomorrow ... I do get the impression that Newbridge are not as bad as they look.

We certainly don't want to have to beat Caerphilly to stay up ... !!