Ebbw Vale 47 - 27 Caerphilly

Whether you're looking forward to kick-off or the final whistle has blown, this is the place for supporters of EVRFC

Moderators: admin, The ref, Henry Crun

Graham

Ebbw Vale 47 - 27 Caerphilly

Post by Graham »

Just for those who haven't heard the result yet.

I'll leave posting about it until tomorrow. It's my wife's fault, she forced me to drink alcohol and now I'm making as much sense as Phil Fear.
Last edited by Graham on 16 Apr 2005 22:53, edited 1 time in total.
Audi Diesel

Call us the come back kids. Also, what is our best XV?

Post by Audi Diesel »

The second half proved a relief for the season weary supporter, as Caerphilly tired after an impressive first thirty minutes.

Although there are other weaknesses, the front row struggled to hold their opponents once more. As we got more ball, with Aylett and eventually Scudamore messying up their possession, we started to let rip. Jon Hawker and Rhodri strengthened us too. But they never gave up.

I wonder what supporters believe to be our first choice team this year? Perhaps this is a bit premature with several games left, but in the back row, Scudamore and Farmer have really impressed me, and in the second-row Richard has had some storming runs in the second row and would be in my team for sure.
Graham

Post by Graham »

It seems to be getting a bit too regular now. We start 40 minutes after the other team. As good as I think the second half was, if we do that against Neath, they'll be 50 points up by half time. We seem incapable of putting 80 minutes of concentration and effort together.

Anyway that's my moan out of the way. Apart from the lacklustre first half, it was an enjoyable game (as it was after in the clubhouse as well). I know we were pretty poor, but credit must go to Caerphilly for putting in a huge effort and looking good with the ball in hand. Their willingness to play as we did (throwing it around a bit) helped contribute to what was a pretty good display of open rugby (well, most of it). They brought more fans with them than most clubs we've had up here this season (despite our open display of extortion), and the lads who were stood by us were a credit to their club and were good company throughout the game.

Apart from the first 40 minutes, which we seem to write of as a matter of course these days, there were some good displays again from a lot of our lads. I started writing what ended up looking like a thesis on the individuals, but thought better of posting it (trust me, it looked like War and Peace). Instead I'll just say that there have been some great improvements in the players. Some of them actually seem to be enjoying the game.

A lot of players have been consistent in their commitment and form. Lee, Bulldog, Scu, Cleaver, Mr Reliable (Jason), Kris, Bev, Macca etc (Oh God, I feel another thesis coming on :( ). But there have been huge improvements in a lot of others who are now starting to show through like, Abu, Chris, Richard, Tristan (very good game), Dan and despite one or two mistakes on Saturday, Quirky.

This is getting to be a very good squad. A bit more strength in depth in certain positions during closed season and we could well be looking at a top half finish next season.

I'll not even go into who I think should be retained and who should be released, as that is up to the people who are better qualified than you or me. Have faith in the set-up and players we've got, and hopefully we'll be having a less stressful season 2005/2006.