enough is enough, let's get behind the region.

Anything regional, again there are limits

Moderators: admin, The ref, Henry Crun

Graham

enough is enough, let's get behind the region.

Post by Graham »

I bet you thought I'd gone mad just then didn't you? :lol:

You can't possible think I meant the Dragons???? :shock:

There has been a lot of talk recently (from quite a few sources) that there may be trips going to watch the Ospreys at the White Rock Stadium next season (when we don't have a game). Count me in if it's going ahead. Ebbw will always be my first proirity as far as rugby goes, but I wouldn't mind throwing my support behind the O's (as and when our fixture list allows).

I'm sure that we can get more than enough interest to fill a 52 seater. I'm fairly sure that some of our friends at Pooler would like to come along as well. The O's fans that I have spoken to this season (who are sympathetic toward our feelings regarding the Dragons) have regularly asked why we don't get ourselves down there. They assure me that we would be made very welcome. It may be a bit strange for them as well, having people in Ebbw jerseys supporting the O's, but I'm sure they'd enjoy it as much as we would.

Let's hope this works out.
String

Post by String »

Still hardly a region, 2 clubs merged with nobody else getting a say and the existing neath fans are very worried about a swansea takeover when the new stadium goes live.

I dont dislike the neath/swansea hybrids, dont care if they win or lose but wont go to support them.

(unlike all the other non regional superclubs who i wish to lose every match and end up bankrupt).
Seisyll ap Dyfnwal

Re: enough is enough, let's get behind the region.

Post by Seisyll ap Dyfnwal »

Graham wrote:I'm sure that we can get more than enough interest to fill a 52 seater. I'm fairly sure that some of our friends at Pooler would like to come along as well. The O's fans that I have spoken to this season (who are sympathetic toward our feelings regarding the Dragons) have regularly asked why we don't get ourselves down there. They assure me that we would be made very welcome. It may be a bit strange for them as well, having people in Ebbw jerseys supporting the O's, but I'm sure they'd enjoy it as much as we would.
Unless there are radical changes, the Ospreys will be my prefered region next year as well. On top of which, it's only an hour in the car from where I live, so I won't be travelling on the supporters' bus - if there is one. :wink:
CK

Post by CK »

How can anyone from Gwent support the Ospreys???
If cannot find it in yourself to support the Dragons (I don't blame anyone who won't!!!) don't go to Swansea pretending to be from there.
I think it would show a huge amount of shallowness or just complete boredom with nothing better to do.

Either Support the boys from Eugene Park (Home Town), The Dragons(Home Region) or take up gardening!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quoth the Raven, Nevermore.
OBPRS
Graham

Post by Graham »

CK wrote:How can anyone from Gwent support the Ospreys???
If cannot find it in yourself to support the Dragons (I don't blame anyone who won't!!!) don't go to Swansea pretending to be from there.
I think it would show a huge amount of shallowness or just complete boredom with nothing better to do.

Either Support the boys from Eugene Park (Home Town), The Dragons(Home Region) or take up gardening!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For me, it isn't a question of pretending to be from there. Everyone who knows me knows I’m from Ebbw and proud of it.

This is all about taking the chance to watch professional rugby. It’s merely a bonus that it’s a team that doesn’t have a split in its supporters and lacks the bad feelings that are prevalent at RP. It makes it a lot easier and more effective when everyone is shouting the same thing.

As you rightly say, nobody could be blamed for not wanting to support the Dragons, so as the O's are the only professional outfit that even vaguely resembles a regional rugby team, it is by far the best option (apart from staying at home and watching a game or two on the television – which, let’s face it, isn’t the same thing at all).

I wouldn't be going there purely to make a political statement of any kind. I just get the hankering to watch live professional rugby now and again.

Of course Ebbw always has been and always will be my one real passion in the rugby world, but when I get the urge to watch live professional rugby in a good friendly and welcoming atmosphere, I think I'll be doing it at the O's.
ebbwboy

Post by ebbwboy »

CK wrote:How can anyone from Gwent support the Ospreys???
Well, anyone from anywhere can support anyone as it happens. I've even seen kids in Ebbw Vale wearing shirts that show their support for teams who play a game called 'football' in far away places like Manchester and London!

I'd love to have a region I felt was mine such as Gwent or The Valleys but I haven't, so I won't be supporting one. However, the Ospreys are, to me, the least offensive of the four Welsh teams competing in the Celtic and European competitions and I can understand why people would want to follow them. I think we've empathised greatly with Neath who were treated as we were by the Gang of Six and have always played great rugby. Not sure about Swansea though; crap ground, arrogant supporters and a team that was, traditionally, a 'flat track bully'. Lovely place, mind, Swansea.

Anyway, good luck to anyone from Ebbw who wants to watch Y Gweilch but I won't be among them. It's EVRFC for me and there's only room in my heart for one team per sport.
"We may be in the tropics but today Queensland has been as cold as Ebbw Vale" - Stuart Barnes, Lions' Tour 2001.
Graham

Post by Graham »

ebbwboy wrote:Well, anyone from anywhere can support anyone as it happens. I've even seen kids in Ebbw Vale wearing shirts that show their support for teams who play a game called 'football' in far away places like Manchester and London!

I'd love to have a region I felt was mine such as Gwent or The Valleys but I haven't, so I won't be supporting one. However, the Ospreys are, to me, the least offensive of the four Welsh teams competing in the Celtic and European competitions and I can understand why people would want to follow them. I think we've empathised greatly with Neath who were treated as we were by the Gang of Six and have always played great rugby. Not sure about Swansea though; crap ground, arrogant supporters and a team that was, traditionally, a 'flat track bully'. Lovely place, mind, Swansea.

Anyway, good luck to anyone from Ebbw who wants to watch Y Gweilch but I won't be among them. It's EVRFC for me and there's only room in my heart for one team per sport.
Beautifully put fella. 8) .
CK

Post by CK »

2 Teams in my heart, Ebbw Vale and Wales.
I can see the reasons for going to watch the Ospreys but I couldn't ever support a certain region as a second best option which is what anyone from EV would be doing. We should all want to support the Gwent Region and I do believe one day it will be a proper regional set-up incorporating all of Gwent.
When this day comes what will the fans who have been going to Swansea do then?? Stay down there or follow Gwent????
This is my point of being shallow but i do understand that some people just want to watch a better standard of Rugby than the premiership but I am not that fickle with my support.
Just a point of view I suppose in the end.

Graham

Post by Graham »

CK wrote:2 Teams in my heart, Ebbw Vale and Wales.
I can see the reasons for going to watch the Ospreys but I couldn't ever support a certain region as a second best option which is what anyone from EV would be doing. We should all want to support the Gwent Region and I do believe one day it will be a proper regional set-up incorporating all of Gwent.
When this day comes what will the fans who have been going to Swansea do then?? Stay down there or follow Gwent????
This is my point of being shallow but i do understand that some people just want to watch a better standard of Rugby than the premiership but I am not that fickle with my support.
Just a point of view I suppose in the end.

I sincerely doubt that we will ever have a Gwent region to follow (while Newport are in charge of it - which let's face it, they are). IF we ever get a GENUINE region to follow in Gwent, I will be behind it like a shot. I was one of the few to buy a season ticket when they first introduced the "Gwent Dragons", then I promptly demanded a refund when Newport took over. So I really do have an interest in following a Gwent region.

I have a feeling that the bickering and bad feeling will run and run until this "alleged" region is defunct. As it stands, as far as I'm concerened they can pack it up and send it to North Wales as a development region, I care that little for it. Whether it thrives or goes under I honestly couldn't care less. But in answer to your question, if we ever had a GENUINE region to support, I'd certainly get behind it (I suspect quite a lot of our fans would).

Perhaps we could have a poll to find out how many of our regular posters here would follow a properly run "genuine" Gwent region that was centred around all the Gwent clubs as opposed to just what the Newport people want.
WoofBark

Bring back the Celtic Warriors.. please!

Post by WoofBark »

I was a supporter of the Celtic Warriors and still am a fan of Pontypridd. I wish to say that you guys up there in Ebbw/Pooler/Newbridge etc etc are in a simular position to what us Pontyridd boys are in. How can you identify with N*****T Dragons??? It's like asking Pontypridd to twin with Bath for Goodness sake (not even close). Do you feel you identify with N*****T? I doubt it very much.

We have to put up with coming under the Blues and their supporters cannot understand why we don't go and watch the blues?

:mrgreen:
Steve Young

Post by Steve Young »

This is the trouble with Moffett, he doesn't understand you follow the team with your heart. You just cannot fall in or out of love on a whim. If that was the case we would support different teams almost every year.
His way of thinking is:- Ponty is only 10 miles from Cardiff, what's the problem?
Zed

Post by Zed »

Graham wrote:I bet you thought I'd gone mad just then didn't you? :lol:

You can't possible think I meant the Dragons???? :shock:

There has been a lot of talk recently (from quite a few sources) that there may be trips going to watch the Ospreys at the White Rock Stadium next season (when we don't have a game). Count me in if it's going ahead. Ebbw will always be my first proirity as far as rugby goes, but I wouldn't mind throwing my support behind the O's (as and when our fixture list allows).

I'm sure that we can get more than enough interest to fill a 52 seater. I'm fairly sure that some of our friends at Pooler would like to come along as well. The O's fans that I have spoken to this season (who are sympathetic toward our feelings regarding the Dragons) have regularly asked why we don't get ourselves down there. They assure me that we would be made very welcome. It may be a bit strange for them as well, having people in Ebbw jerseys supporting the O's, but I'm sure they'd enjoy it as much as we would.

Mmm...

I bet you thought I'd gone mad just then didn't you?

You can't possible think I meant Wales????

There has been a lot of talk recently (from quite a few sources) that there may be trips going to watch England at Twickenham next season (when we don't have a game). Count me in if it's going ahead. Ebbw will always be my first proirity as far as rugby goes, but I wouldn't mind throwing my support behind England (as and when our fixture list allows).

I'm sure that we can get more than enough interest to fill a 52 seater. I'm fairly sure that some of our friends at Scotland would like to come along as well. The England fans that I have spoken to this season (who are sympathetic toward our feelings regarding Wales) have regularly asked why we don't get ourselves down there. They assure me that we would be made very welcome. It may be a bit strange for them as well, having people in Ebbw jerseys supporting England, but I'm sure they'd enjoy it as much as we would.

:roll:
Graham

Post by Graham »

Zed wrote:Mmm...

I bet you thought I'd gone mad just then didn't you?

You can't possible think I meant Wales????

There has been a lot of talk recently (from quite a few sources) that there may be trips going to watch England at Twickenham next season (when we don't have a game). Count me in if it's going ahead. Ebbw will always be my first proirity as far as rugby goes, but I wouldn't mind throwing my support behind England (as and when our fixture list allows).

I'm sure that we can get more than enough interest to fill a 52 seater. I'm fairly sure that some of our friends at Scotland would like to come along as well. The England fans that I have spoken to this season (who are sympathetic toward our feelings regarding Wales) have regularly asked why we don't get ourselves down there. They assure me that we would be made very welcome. It may be a bit strange for them as well, having people in Ebbw jerseys supporting England, but I'm sure they'd enjoy it as much as we would.

:roll:
Best of luck with that one then. :roll:
Last edited by Graham on 15 May 2005 14:17, edited 1 time in total.
RhysJervis

Post by RhysJervis »

Having a laugh is what i call that Zed
...GARN RFC...