Newbridge 34 - Ebbw Vale 48

Whether you're looking forward to kick-off or the final whistle has blown, this is the place for supporters of EVRFC

Moderators: admin, The ref, Henry Crun

Dai Rob

Newbridge 34 - Ebbw Vale 48

Post by Dai Rob »

Sounds like one hell of a match..

BBC Site has it as 17 - 31 half time..

Six converted tries to help our try count too - top stuff just when we needed it.

By my poor maths, that makes Ebbw safe for this year. :!:

Two home games now - I think we should make to banking as full as can be and give our vocal support (count me in anyway :D ).

Well played Ebbw. :lol:
welshgaz

Post by welshgaz »

Is this a defo safe for this year?

Either way well done Ebb! Still want us climbing that table a bit more though
RS

Post by RS »

welshgaz wrote:Is this a defo safe for this year?

yes, the table is on the club's home page at http://www.ebbwvalerfc.co.uk
Don't forget, you read it here first. (Unless it's rubbish, then please assume you read it elsewhere.)
Graham

Post by Graham »

What can you say about that one? Don’t worry, I usually find something to say. I think it's a case of mixed emotions after that game.

A sense of relief that we are now safe and none of the bottom 3 can catch us.

A sense of disappointment in knowing that if we had kept our "game" heads on, it could have been a much bigger score.

A sense of disbelief and bewilderment that we found ourselves in the position of being relegation candidates at this time of the season. We thought we were safe a long time ago but lost our way (as well as most of our games).

Full credit to Newbridge they never gave up the ghost. They came back time and time again and in the process, scored five tries (a couple of which were nicely executed). Their pack seemed to improve in the scrum when we took off a couple of forwards. Was Lyn injured (or maybe just knackered)? If not, I couldn't see the point in taking him off that early. He actually looked as if he was enjoying himself (especially when he put in that cracking tackle on their lock). Abu came on and looked as if he wanted to get involved big time. That bloke is showing some real heart.

I also thought it was a mistake to take Tristan off as well. The man had done nothing wrong and was constantly involved in play and made plenty of good tackles. Bulldog’s departure looked as if it was enforced, so I hope it's nothing too serious. It was good to have Farmer to come on though. He may not be as big a presence in the scrum as Gareth, but he certainly puts himself around and never gives less than 100%.

On the subject of forwards, I think Chris Thomas had about his best game for Ebbw since he joined. His throwing in was excellent most of the time and his work in the loose was really good to watch. He deserved his try and when he celebrated it, I thought "good for you fella, you earned that one". Also (now that the shy and retiring person in the background has reminded me) Cleaver was excellent. He put himself about really well. The man came with a reputation and he is fulfilling it.

The backs showed a lot more confidence today. This is the first time in ages we've played with a good firm ground and conditions conducive to the type of rugby that we like to play. I hope that Macca's injury isn't too bad. He seemed to be running at less than 100%. If he'd been 100% right through the game, I think we'd have a couple more points. Thankfully, we have Quirky to come in if it turns out to be a lay off for Macca. Byron did well when he came on for Macca, but I'd like to know why Quirky wasn't there.

Scotty Horner came through it unscathed thankfully and is looking pretty sharp. I'm no winger (whinger maybe) but he looks very unsure as to his positioning at times, but this will come with time and experience, I am looking forward to seeing him as his game improves even further. This means that Kris can now play in his proper position where he can do so much damage (as he did today). Jason was solid as usual (what else would you expect from him?). I think that the two scrumhalves could have made a cracking one between them. Scott didn't do much wrong and looked solid in his game (I'd like to have seen a few darting runs from the base against Matthew Taylor), but there were times when he looked hesitant. On the other hand Rhodri looked and acted quickly, but many of his passes were erratic to say the least. Still, it's nice to have the option, and when both of them play well, it's going to be hard for Byron to decide who gets the start.

Handsome also had a good game today and I think that he put in some really good tackles and covered a lot of ground when in defensive mode as well as attack. Best back of the game for me though was Bev. He tried everything in the book and most of it came off or very nearly came off. His attacking had Newbridge wondering what he was going to do next, and his defensive tackles were very good. The man plays with great spirit and I think he's getting better all the time (especially now that we don't have to try and utilise him at 9).

All in all, a great effort. But this game only showed us what we already knew. We have as good a set of backs as there are in the league and that our forwards, while great in broken play, are lacking in size compared to most other clubs.

Edited after a glaring omission.
Last edited by Graham on 03 Apr 2005 00:16, edited 2 times in total.
RhysJervis

Post by RhysJervis »

Sounds like a good game. Did any of the Dragons boys score? Sione and Breeze played didnt they?

Watched the Falcons/S Francais game after my match in Talywain today, good quality, but a little one sided. Anybody see it?
...GARN RFC...
Raffles

Post by Raffles »

Graham you left the club without saying goodbye! :(

Of all the names you mentioned in your post and you left out Cleaver who I thought had a great game also.
Graham

Post by Graham »

RhysJervis wrote:Sounds like a good game. Did any of the Dragons boys score? Sione and Breeze played didnt they?
Nah, Newbridge decided to put their own players in instead and well done to them for that.
Graham

Post by Graham »

Raffles wrote:Graham you left the club without saying goodbye! :(
Sorry about that. You and the young lady sat by you seemed to be deep in conversation (I've learned to to interupt a woman when she's talking), but also I was deep in thought about a chicken korma and a pint to wash it down with at the Tarah Mahal up town. Fair play, it was lovely. :D
Raffles wrote:Of all the names you mentioned in your post and you left out Cleaver who I thought had a great game also.
Thanks for pointing that out, I've changed it now. My concentration isn't what it used to be. It used to be dodgy, but now it's flamin' dreadful. Old age will come to you as well one day.
Last edited by Graham on 02 Apr 2005 23:00, edited 1 time in total.
Raffles

Post by Raffles »

Well as I was at the bar when you left I'll forgive you!
Graham

Post by Graham »

Raffles wrote:Well as I was at the bar when you left I'll forgive you!
See what I said about my concentration? :lol:
Audi Diesel

Newbridge V Ebbw Vale: a running feast

Post by Audi Diesel »

Very pleasant feeling to have the news that Cardiff won as we left the stands having beaten Newbridge!

Newbridge impressed in the second-half. They had to run things, but I did wonder (anyone else agree) whether we needed to run everything from our half (Byron/Jason??) too!

Plenty of tries. Exciting game. A win. Lovely day. What more can we ask for ? (Lottery?)
html junkie

Re: Newbridge V Ebbw Vale: a running feast

Post by html junkie »

Audi Diesel wrote:Newbridge impressed in the second-half. They had to run things, but I did wonder (anyone else agree) whether we needed to run everything from our half (Byron/Jason??) too!
I tend to agree, AD. There were times when most of the Ebbw supporters were yelling, "Boot it!" as our boys attempted to run from deep.
Martyn Madden: That's show business
Me: **** off!
Dai Rob

Post by Dai Rob »

Now that the presure is off (to some extent), I hope that the boys can get on a run and produce the rugby we saw before Christmas.

Climbing up to and staying at eleventh place is not unrealistic and would just about sum our season up.

Come on lads - you've got our backing.. :)
DaiC

Post by DaiC »

Graham wrote:
RhysJervis wrote:Sounds like a good game. Did any of the Dragons boys score? Sione and Breeze played didnt they?
Nah, Newbridge decided to put their own players in instead and well done to them for that.
Graham. Rather than Bridge deciding to use their own players, surely the agreement between the NGD and prem clubs is that (NGD) players do not play against other clubs from within the region.

Oh, and congrats on the win.
Malpas69

Newbridge v Ebbw Vale

Post by Malpas69 »

Phew ... we're safe now ... what an absolute relief ... !!

Boy ... did we make hard work of it after Christmas.

Many congratulations to everyone concern ... especially the players and the coaches.

Hopefully we can look forward to a good summer of recruitment ...
Crime in multi-storey car parks - that is just wrong on so many different levels!!