Ebbw Vale v Llanharan

Whether you're looking forward to kick-off or the final whistle has blown, this is the place for supporters of EVRFC

Moderators: admin, The ref, Henry Crun

Graham

Ebbw Vale v Llanharan

Post by Graham »

OK then, let's start a thread on this weekend's game.

I "borrowed" this off the Llanharan site................

Weekend News
Good news for Llanharan is that Dai Owen, who limped off against Newport, is training tonight and fit for Ebbw Vale. One casualty this week however is John Leyshon, the unlucky centre breaking his arm in the Tuesday night session.
Team manager Brian Mills reports a good players’ meeting on Tuesday when the plans for next year were outlined.
“There was plenty of commitment,” he said, “and there’ll be no lack of it either at Ebbw Vale despite our relegation. The boys are determined to end the season on a high.”Sadly there will be no supporters’ bus running. This is thought to be the first time that a Saturday trip has been cancelled through lack of support. Treasurer Ken Forrester explains that there were only three names on the list and the committee could not risk a heavy loss. It is known that several at least will not travel to Eugene Cross Park because of the £10 entrance fee.

I expect it to be a bit of a battle. Their forwards put on a fine display against us in the away fixture and they were very strong in the set piece and loose play. We should have no reason to believe that this game will be any different for them. They may be relegated, but they will fancy having a go at us on Saturday. We have to go out with the right attitude if we are going to complete the double.
Graham

Post by Graham »

Rob has updated the home page and the link to the squad for the Llanharan match is HERE.I'm a bit concerned that Kris is on the wing again. Whenever he is missing from the centre we make very few breaks in that department. Where is Quirky? I can only assume he's injured or simply not available. Otherwise, surely if he was available the common sense thing would be to put Macca on the wing and Quirky at fullback.

On a plus point though, it's nice to see an old face back in the Ebbw colours again. I'm sure he'll get a good welcome from the supporters if/when he gets on the field.
html junkie

Post by html junkie »

Graham wrote:On a plus point though, it's nice to see an old face back in the Ebbw colours again. I'm sure he'll get a good welcome from the supporters if/when he gets on the field.
Couldn't agree more. All the enjoyment we've had over the last 10 years - the trips to France, Ireland, Italy, Romania and Spain; the big live S4C occasions; the cup runs; topping the league; churning out internationals, was based squarely on what Andrew Oliver's squad achieved in 1994-95.

From the starting XV against Narberth, I reckon only 2 are still playing at Premiership level: Andrew Oliver and Ben Watkins. Of others I remember in the squad, I know Damon Morris is captaining Beaufort and Dai Harris is still playing for Dowlais (with his son in the same team, I've been told!)
Can anyone fill in other facts?
Martyn Madden: That's show business
Me: **** off!
Graham

Post by Graham »

html junkie wrote:
Graham wrote:On a plus point though, it's nice to see an old face back in the Ebbw colours again. I'm sure he'll get a good welcome from the supporters if/when he gets on the field.
Couldn't agree more. All the enjoyment we've had over the last 10 years - the trips to France, Ireland, Italy, Romania and Spain; the big live S4C occasions; the cup runs; topping the league; churning out internationals, was based squarely on what Andrew Oliver's squad achieved in 1994-95.

From the starting XV against Narberth, I reckon only 2 are still playing at Premiership level: Andrew Oliver and Ben Watkins. Of others I remember in the squad, I know Damon Morris is captaining Beaufort and Dai Harris is still playing for Dowlais (with his son in the same team, I've been told!)
Can anyone fill in other facts?
Ahhhhh yes, Oliver's army. Those were the days. The Narbeth trip will stay with me forever.
Malpas69

What was the team vs Narberth

Post by Malpas69 »

Yes, that trip to Narberth ... never ever forget it ... !!

We were talking to some Narberth fans before the match and they told us that was the first game that season that they had managed to get their full strength first choice team on the field ... and we took them apart ... !!

So ... what was that team ... ??

Here is my stab ... with a lot of blanks ...

15. Darren Worgan
14. Ian Jeffries
13. David Davies
12. Andrew Jewitt
10. Mike Boys
1. Andrew Oliver
2. Spike Jones
3. Malcolm Sibthorpe
4. Dorian Medlicott
5. Tony Patey
6. Ben Watkins
7. Dai Harris

So ... what was the team ... ??
Crime in multi-storey car parks - that is just wrong on so many different levels!!
wiggy29

Post by wiggy29 »

wasn,t Chris Hillman on the wing.
ebbwboy

Re: What was the team vs Narberth

Post by ebbwboy »

I've added to your suggestion with bold type
Malpas69 wrote:So ... what was that team ... ??

Here is my stab ... with a lot of blanks ...

15. Carl Thomas
14. Andrew Thomas
13. David Davies
12. Andrew Jewitt
11. Darren Worgan
10. Mike Boys
9. Paul Young
1. Andrew Oliver
2. Spike Jones
3. Malcolm Sibthorpe
4. Dorian Medlicott
5. Tony Patey
6. Paul Hudson
7. Ben Watkins
8. Noel Chard

So ... what was the team ... ??
"We may be in the tropics but today Queensland has been as cold as Ebbw Vale" - Stuart Barnes, Lions' Tour 2001.
Eye Jay

Post by Eye Jay »

Try this link folks.
I think it's still alive

http://www.ebbwvalerfc.co.uk/Narberth95.htm
RS

Post by RS »

Eye Jay wrote:Try this link folks.
I think it's still alive

http://www.ebbwvalerfc.co.uk/Narberth95.htm
Amazingly enough, I put that very link on the home page this afternoon, Eye Jay. Brilliant minds, eh?
Don't forget, you read it here first. (Unless it's rubbish, then please assume you read it elsewhere.)
Audi Diesel

Narberth and all that

Post by Audi Diesel »

We all have our own memories. In my case, my wife was surprised (but pleased) when I suggested that - for a change - we spend my daughter's birthday weekend in Tenby, staying at the Atlantic Hotel. (The Atlantic is to the County Hotel as Superman is to Bizarro Superman). Of course, I did go 'for a long walk' on the saturday, meeting with my father and brother in law in Narberth for the historic win. Narberth made great play of 'we are going to sort you boys', but MIke and the other players were wonderful.

To this day, my wife doesn't understand why we had a slap-up meal that evening!