Swansea Bay 10K - 2008

As suggested in our Forums, here is the place to post all those non-rugby related issues

Moderators: The ref, Henry Crun

Dai Rob

Swansea Bay 10K - 2008

Post by Dai Rob »

On Sunday 21st September I will once again be dusting off my running aparel and venturing south (west ish) to Swansea to take part in a great event that is the 2008 Swansea Bay 10K race and fun run. (A Good title spoilt by putting the last to words together!)

This year I have decided to raise sponsor money for the Tredegar based Hospice of the Valleys. With this in mind I have created an on line sponsorship page..

..if anyone would like to (or maybe know someone who would like to) sponsor me then the link can be found HERE.

Many thanks to those who offer support, both financially and in person.

David.
To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.. ..To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
Milo

Post by Milo »

Well done Dai and good luck!

Should have done a sponsored Fish instead tho!!! :lol:
A bad days fishing is better than a great day in work!

http://iainswansonangling.weebly.com/
Eye Jay

Post by Eye Jay »

Good luck DaiRob, Im running it too, although probably a little slower than you!
Blog The Steel Daffodil
Consultancy Eye For Finance
Twitter EyeJay2

The hoops are back!
crusader

Post by crusader »

Good luck EyeJay & DaiRob. I probably won't be there this year - a small child has put pay to any sort of training this year. There's always 2009...
dyn y dur

Post by dyn y dur »

I'll chuck you a few quid Dai when i get round to it.

I'm also doing it. What sort of times are we hoping for Dai & Eye Jay ?
Dai Rob

Post by Dai Rob »

dyn y dur wrote:I'll chuck you a few quid Dai when i get round to it.

I'm also doing it. What sort of times are we hoping for Dai & Eye Jay ?
Hiya chaps!

My times are in no way spectacular - last year I did a 61 minute. Though it would be nice to crack 60 minutes (some would describe that as sad but i've never run with beating times in mind.) it's not the reason I do it.

This will be my eigth year of entry and each year I try and do a bit for charity, usually the Hospice in Tredegar and one other.

I'm looking for my brother to see if he can get me a t-shirt from the match on Saturday so I can wear it for the run, depends what they have in the shop I suppose..

Look forward to meeting everyone on Sunday - i'll probably make my way to the 60 minute marker and see how I get on!

Good luck and see you Sunday!! :D
To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.. ..To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
dyn y dur

Post by dyn y dur »

I'll be doing a warm up around St. Helens as usual.
I'll have my distinctive pink "Ebbw Vale running club" vest on if I can still get it on and not look too much like "The only gay in the village"

I've got a large. Think it was made for a large Ethiopian not a large(ish) Welshman :wink:

Good luck with the fundraising.
Dai Rob

Post by Dai Rob »

dyn y dur wrote:I'll be doing a warm up around St. Helens as usual.
I'll have my distinctive pink "Ebbw Vale running club" vest on if I can still get it on and not look too much like "The only gay in the village"

I've got a large. Think it was made for a large Ethiopian not a large(ish) Welshman :wink:

Good luck with the fundraising.
Hey thanks very much for the on line sponsor - very much appreciated! Most of my sponsors have done so through work so if things to well and everyone pays up I sould have a tad over £200 which i'm going to split between the two charities..

Don't forget to make yourself 'seen' - you too eJay - the more Steelmen at SA1 the better!!!
Eye Jay

Post by Eye Jay »

Fraid Im not running, as the attraction of watching Glamorgan's pro 40 play off in the Cardiff sun is too much to resist.

It's the first one I've missed for several years.

Good luck Dai Rob
Blog The Steel Daffodil
Twitter EyeJay2

The hoops are back!
Eye Jay

Post by Eye Jay »

Eye Jay wrote:Fraid Im not running, as the attraction of watching Glamorgan's pro 40 play off in the Cardiff sun is too much to resist.
Wish I hadn't bothered.
How did it go anyway?
Blog The Steel Daffodil
Twitter EyeJay2

The hoops are back!
Dai Rob

Post by Dai Rob »

Not that good from my point of view..

..my opinion only but it was damned hot for running and after about 4K I decided I was going to concentrate on finishing only and bugger the time!

Crossed the line in 1:09 but i'm taking 3 off that for the time to cross the line at the start. :(

Still, now comes the hard part of collecting the sponsor money - fingers corssed that i'll have about £220+ to share between the Hopsice of the Valleys and Alzhymer's - to me that was the reason to finish!!

Not sure about dyn y dur, saw a few girls running sporting the Ebbw Vale Running logo but i'm pretty sure they were not him!! :oops:
String

Post by String »

Agree it was damned hot there, could have done with another drinks station at the 7k mark ideally for that last pull up the hill to get back.

Good turnout and good day though - a few of us in the pink ebbw running club vests and numerous comments from the crowd about the vest colour when running.

Well done to everyone that took part - it was fairly brutal. Ive completely lost the ability to bend my legs today!

Full results are now out here:

http://www.swanseabay10k.com/media/pdf/ ... Result.pdf

for 1hr09 on the clock you can known off just over a minute to allow getting to start line (looking at chip time).
dyn y dur

Post by dyn y dur »

Dai Rob wrote:Not sure about dyn y dur, saw a few girls running sporting the Ebbw Vale Running logo but i'm pretty sure they were not him!! :oops:
Quite right I wasn't one of the girls even though I might have looked a bit feminine.
Agree it was too hot for running but after the run I did in Cardiff in July yesterday was comparitively cool.

Race went well and according to plan from my point of view. Found the last 4K very tough though. Iwas aiming for my first sub 45 mins and my chip time was 44-46 so mission accomplished.

Plaudits go to String though. He tells me he is unable to judge pace and not sure how much running he has done in the past but yesterday he clocked an astonishing 40- 53 !!

Hats off to you String from now on you can run with Ashley ! :wink:

Hope you get all of your sponsor money in Dai. That's a great effort in itself too.
String

Post by String »

To be fair, i was aiming for 45 minutes but had no idea how to pace it so just started following completely random people so the time is a complete accident. (not to say i'm not happy about it though!)

Didnt see you after the run - by the time id gone back from the car you'd vanished.

Think it'll be at least a week before i can walk properly though.
Dai Rob

Post by Dai Rob »

String wrote:Think it'll be at least a week before i can walk properly though.
Nice to hear it's not just me walking (or not) with an embarrasing limp! :oops:

Oh, 45 minutes - nice one i'm well impressed!