Neil Edwards Returning to Ebbw Vale ... ??

You'll never guess what I heard in the pub/club/Tesco's last night.......

Moderators: admin, The ref, Henry Crun

Malpas69

Neil Edwards Returning to Ebbw Vale ... ??

Post by Malpas69 »

From today's N*****t Gwent Andrex ...

It mentions that N*****t have signed some new players ... but have released three lock forwrds and quotes ...

"Darren Davies, Nick Kelly and Neil Edwards decided to look for pastures new (the former pair, cousins, are believed to be joining Swansea, while Edwards has been linked with Ebbw Vale)"

So can someone confirm or deny that Neil is rejoining Ebbw Vale ... ??
Crime in multi-storey car parks - that is just wrong on so many different levels!!
Graham

Re: Neil Edwards Returning to Ebbw Vale ... ??

Post by Graham »

Malpas69 wrote:From today's N*****t Gwent Andrex ...

It mentions that N*****t have signed some new players ... but have released three lock forwrds and quotes ...

"Darren Davies, Nick Kelly and Neil Edwards decided to look for pastures new (the former pair, cousins, are believed to be joining Swansea, while Edwards has been linked with Ebbw Vale)"

So can someone confirm or deny that Neil is rejoining Ebbw Vale ... ??
From what I've been told by a committeeman, he wants £30,000 a season.

No way we can do that surely?

It also says...................

"Because we have released three locks who we could not agree terms with we needed to recruit there and we have come up with some quality, experienced replacements," said Newport coach David Rees.

Has Neil been pricing himself out of the market?
Last edited by Graham on 25 May 2005 15:59, edited 1 time in total.
Malpas69

Post by Malpas69 »

I would tend to agree with that ... no way that we can afford £30,000 a year for one player ... good player though he is ...

Is there any news on who the ... "tight head prop and lock of note" ... (as reported in the N*****t Gwent Andrex the other day) ... are ... ??
Crime in multi-storey car parks - that is just wrong on so many different levels!!
String

Post by String »

After the random assaults from him in the newport game even if he did come he'd have some bridges to mend with current players.

We cant afford him and probably dont need him.
Malpas69

Post by Malpas69 »

Whereas I agree that we probably cannot afford him ... I disagree that we don't need him ...

We desperately need big experienced front five forwards. We were clearly lacking in that department last season.

With Newport signing 2 of the 3 Caerphilly second rows ... I think they left the best one. I thought Paul Jones had a good game against us and is another big experienced forward. (Before anyone says anything ... I am quite aware of his past ... getting banned for steroids).
Graham

Post by Graham »

I've just been notified by someone extremely reliable (not saying who) that Neil's money (if he does rejoin - hopefully) will be nothing like the amount told to me by the committeeman earlier which is a gross misrepresentation of the reality of the situation. I've been told in no uncertain terms that Neil is more than aware that he is no longer a fully professional player, and has the sense to know that those sort of figures are not sustainable or realistic at this level.

From that realistic standpoint, the only way a player can make that sort of money is at regional level or above. It appears that the claims/figures made earlier are a result of "chinese whispers" (not meant as a racist remark of course) and are totally unfounded and many miles fromthe truth.

So on a positive note, how good will it be to have our second rows sorted as well as our front row looking good?

In an ideal world (lack of funds being the biggest problem), I would like to have four recognised locks in the squad. Bulldog and Richie from last season, and I would also like to sign Neil and another lock about his size as well. Shall we start the rumour now about Chay playing again?. What a pairing that used to be eh? That's if he signs of course, we shall have to wait for official word from the club on that one.

Let us not forget that it was Neil's dominant lineout work that helped Cross Keys to beat us last season. Their only lineout call that night was "Throw it to Neil". But we'll forgive him if he does the same for us eh? :wink:
Last edited by Graham on 26 May 2005 01:16, edited 2 times in total.
Audi Diesel

Neil Edwards

Post by Audi Diesel »

Absolutely! If we can afford good players, we should have them. The Board are determined not to overspend, but they have plans and did a good job last season. Whether NE is part of them, we'll have to wait and see.

As others have noted, big need is for a couple of tightheads.
Graham

Re: Neil Edwards

Post by Graham »

Audi Diesel wrote:Absolutely! If we can afford good players, we should have them. The Board are determined not to overspend, but they have plans and did a good job last season. Whether NE is part of them, we'll have to wait and see.

As others have noted, big need is for a couple of tightheads.
Spot on AD. They did remarkably well with very limited resources last season, and this season all the right noises are coming from the club (especially if the Neil Edwards thing turns out to be right, hopefully, if it is, we will be told soon). If we get this tight head as well, I will be a very happy bunny this summer.
Graham

Post by Graham »

String wrote:After the random assaults from him in the newport game even if he did come he'd have some bridges to mend with current players.
I agree that (in that game) he seemed to have developed a streak that we've never seen in him before, and I for one called him a load of things for his attack on Ben Coutts (who was pinned on the floor by the Newport prop). As for mending the bridges, I'm sure that they all expect a bit of that (and one or two of them have given out a lot worse). Not that I condone violence, after all, I'm a lover not a fighter.

The perfect example of leaving what happens on the pitch "on the pitch", was Mark Jones and Stuart Evans hammering seven shades out of each other, then having been carded, walking off almost arm in arm and having a laugh about it. Anyone else remember that one?
String wrote:We cant afford him and probably dont need him.
I'm not so sure about that.

Firstly, the whole money issue seems to have been blown out of all proportion by claims that were not correct and is no longer an issue.

Secondly, I'd rather have him playing for us than against us, especially if he's developed a bit more of a mean streak (I didn't realise he had one until that game).
String

Post by String »

Potential discipline problems as well (he picked up a few yellow cards for newport). Thats the last thing we need atm.
valleyblues

Post by valleyblues »

Personally i would have him back tomorrow, what a spicy second row we would have then with him and bulldog!
Villa, we are coming for you!!!!!
Graham

Post by Graham »

valleyblues wrote:Personally i would have him back tomorrow, what a spicy second row we would have then with him and bulldog!
Yep, I'd be all for that. We really need to sign another lock as well though as we've seen what lack of cover in the front five can do.

Still hoping the club make some sort of announcement soon on it (even it is on here while the main site is missing in action at the moment)
Audi Diesel

Keeping us informed

Post by Audi Diesel »

I'm afraid that although I'd love to be in the know, there are definite advantages in not displaying new players or prospective players too early. I can wait eight weeks, but I'd rather not.

And now the rumour! Graham has won the rollover and Carlos Spencer is going to share No 10 duties with Mr Williams.
Graham

Re: Keeping us informed

Post by Graham »

Audi Diesel wrote:And now the rumour! Graham has won the rollover and Carlos Spencer is going to share No 10 duties with Mr Williams.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't think that "sharing" would be a fair description. I guess he would be more like "cover" just in case Jason is injured or busy.

Lovely thought though about an Ebbw Vale fan being well off enough to wipe off the clubs debts for them. Be nice to have the full amount of funding from the wru.
RS

Post by RS »

Looks like Nellie really is back, as is Bryan Shelbourne!
Don't forget, you read it here first. (Unless it's rubbish, then please assume you read it elsewhere.)