the four teams coming up

The place for discussion of those things not related to the Club, but beware there are limits!!

Moderators: admin, The ref, Henry Crun

viewfromthestand

the four teams coming up

Post by viewfromthestand »

After yesterdays result Bargoed have pipped Pooler to the post and will be the team coming up to join us in the Premiership. Poolers destiny is all in the hands of RGC1404 . If they can win their last two games then Pooler are doomed. Sad really but rules are rules. Went over to Bargoed yesterday to watch the game between Bargoed and Pontypool . As a neutral Bargoed were the better side and rest assured they will give us a game next season. They have a huge , robust pack and some quality behind from 9 to 15. A massive left winger with lightening pace. They looked well drilled and confident. Above all they play for each other. Pontypool also had a very big pack but in the old Pooler tradition the backs were like ornaments. Looking forward to next season already. The long and winding road up North and more Derby's . With this stupid decision to ring fence there s no point in going wild signing new players , just work with what we have and continue to develop quality youngsters. That said Pontypool had a really good no8 and two very good second rows. I think we need to be giving our current 2nd rows Ash and Damian more rest time. they are by far the best unit in the league but having to go 80 minutes most weeks will take it s toll. As for No 8 I can see young Harri, being used more and more by the Dragons now that Taulupe has moved over the bridge to Bath. So, without going mad and doing a Merffa we could do with a couple of players to bolster our resources. Bring on Llandovery and their sheep racing.
robert rees

Re: the four teams coming up

Post by robert rees »

There is news that the wru regime may just do one yr ring fence. The ring fence was applied by old regime and the new one may look at getting rid of It.

Reasons why it needs to have one yr u may ask ?

Lots of clubs have done contracts based on a ring fence.

Overall a sad mess.
jadegoodiesfridge

Post by jadegoodiesfridge »

Bit of nonsense with the Bargoed supporters yesterday,I heard. Cans of beer being thrown at Pooler supporters abusive language, you know, the usual warm Bargoed welcome.Hopefully they'll clean up their act by next season.....but probably won't
robert rees

Post by robert rees »

Yh usual crap. I couldn't honestly have cared if they came up or not.
viewfromthestand

I watched the game and did nt witness any of that sort of behaviour. Both sets of fans were very vocal and there was some banter but as for throwing cans etc. I m not saying it did nt happen but I did nt see it. If it did happen there is no room for this sort of behaviour in the game. I did see the front windscreen of a brand new Mercedes car get smashed. A clearing kick from Bargoed, first half came flying over the stand . The ball landed smack on the screen and made one hell of a mess. Shatter marks everywhere, even though the screen remained intact. Few bucks to replace that I expect.
Malpas69

Post by Malpas69 »

viewfromthestand wrote:That said Pontypool had a really good no8 and two very good second rows. I think we need to be giving our current 2nd rows Ash and Damian more rest time. they are by far the best unit in the league but having to go 80 minutes most weeks will take it s toll.
One of the Pontypool second rows that played yesterday was Adam Brown, the Newport second row playing on permit.

Also, it was interesting to see Aaron Coundley coming on in the front row for Pontypool. I haven't heard 'sight nor sound' about him for a while now.
viewfromthestand wrote:As for No 8 I can see young Harri, being used more and more by the Dragons now that Taulupe has moved over the bridge to Bath. So, without going mad and doing a Merffa we could do with a couple of players to bolster our resources.
We could definitely do with a big rampaging No.8. Ethan Doyle is an excellent handling, ball playing No. 8, but we could do with a big ball carrier. It does seem to be the one thing that we lack (ball carriers). Cammy, although he has been playing well there, for me, is not an 'out and out' No. 8 and sometimes is not strong enough to get over the gain line. As above, we need a marauding No. 8 to get us out of trouble and to carry the ball up when the chips are down or from the back of a scrum etc.
Crime in multi-storey car parks - that is just wrong on so many different levels!!
Malpas69

Post by Malpas69 »

jadegoodiesfridge wrote:Bit of nonsense with the Bargoed supporters yesterday,I heard. Cans of beer being thrown at Pooler supporters abusive language, you know, the usual warm Bargoed welcome.Hopefully they'll clean up their act by next season.....but probably won't
There's all sorts of accusations on the Lower League Forum of Bargoed 'supporters' allegedly shouting racially abusive insults/comments to the Pontypool Tongan centre. Absolutely no place for that in rugby (or in any other sport for that matter). I didn't witness either of the can throwing or the racial abuse, but it still remains a 'hostile' place to go and watch a game of rugby.

If the allegations of either incident(s) are proved to be true, then the Club could be in trouble as they haven't exactly got an exemplary disciplinary record!

On the pitch, I thought that Bargoed just about deserved their win. Pooler had a sustained period of pressure during the second half and had the Bargoed scrum in trouble. After being awarded a scrum penalty, the Pontypool No. 8 took a quick tap penalty, when they should have opted for another scrum. If they had scored from that, then the result may have been different. For me, that decision probably cost them the game and with it, chance of promotion.
Crime in multi-storey car parks - that is just wrong on so many different levels!!
Malpas69

Post by Malpas69 »

robert rees wrote:There is news that the wru regime may just do one yr ring fence. The ring fence was applied by old regime and the new one may look at getting rid of It.

Reasons why it needs to have one yr u may ask ?

Lots of clubs have done contracts based on a ring fence.

Overall a sad mess.
Here is the link to the article...

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugb ... p-11268531

Clubs may have to have a re-think in terms of recruitment and playing squad etc. if this happens. As always, very late in the day to change the rules, but then again, it is the WRU that we are talking about!
Wynne

Post by Wynne »

How can ring fencing the premiership for three years or even one season inhance the quality of rugby. Like Ebbw, if you are good enough you will stay up. With ring fencing there is no incentive, some clubs may be tempted not to enhance their squads just to save money, and why wouldn't you. Other clubs like us will always want to be at the top so you would have a top half that is competitive and the also rans. No ring fencing for me, the more competitive the club is the less chance of relegation and the more enjoyable for the paying public. If the games are not tight then this will effect how many people will turn up.
viewfromthestand

"If the games are not tight then this will effect how many people will turn up"
This is very true. We at Ebbw Vale had what can be considered a mediocre season. Losing games which we should of and could have won. What I have noted from my THRONE in the stand is the numbers on the bank have dwindled throughout the season. Our travelling support is down even though we seem to out number most of the home club supporters by an average of 3 : 1. We are not getting the numbers we were getting. Talking to a big un at the club , we are not in a financial position to go out throwing the cash and doing a Merrffa ie.(if it breathes and got boots, sign it.) We need to be competitive and make do with what we can afford. Keep the purse strings tight and we will be there when others around us will have folded.
I was chatting to a Pooler supporter in the first half of the Bargoed game and he asked me a few questions about Bargoed clubhouse , Where it was, how much was a pint etc. I said I don t know mate I m from Ebbw Vale . I explained our league season is over and we are in the playoff semi final next week at Llandovery. I really thought that this was a huge fixture for both Bargoed and Pontypool. Behind us stood some Bargoed Elder statesmen. One of them was eves dropping our chat and said to his mate " what the f... are Ebbw Vale supporters doing over ear . I turned and said" the same as you mate watching rugby and more importantly putting money into your club". Seemed to do the trick as his mate said that told you chops . To which he said foxtrot oscar and went and stood elsewhere.
Bargoed have a reputation for being poor sports, not all of them . Remember as a town they played second and third fiddle to Caerphilly and Blackwood so they have a little chip on their shoulders, no , a large bag of chips on their shoulders. I just love going over there and coming away victorious.
Malpas69

Post by Malpas69 »

viewfromthestand wrote:Behind us stood some Bargoed Elder statesmen. One of them was eves dropping our chat and said to his mate " what the f... are Ebbw Vale supporters doing over ear . I turned and said" the same as you mate watching rugby and more importantly putting money into your club". Seemed to do the trick as his mate said that told you chops . To which he said foxtrot oscar and went and stood elsewhere.
Sounds like the usual warm, friendly convivial Bargoed welcome!!