Caldicot

Whether you're looking forward to kick-off or the final whistle has blown, this is the place for supporters of EVRFC

Moderators: admin, The ref, Henry Crun

Stevey

Caldicot

Post by Stevey »

I know we were playing a side in the lower leagues but we still showed good handling, pace and an eagerness to attack from deep. There will be much harder games of course but I'm optimistic for the season ahead.
chris

Re: Caldicot

Post by chris »

I thought we showed real intent with ball in hand which was pleasing. Obviously playing against lower league opposition we had a bit more space and time than we would normally expect, but I hope that we still try and play a bit more rugby than last season.

Andy Evans and Toby Fricker looked really sharp and Jonathan Davies and Joe Franchi both carried well. It's nice to see some competition for places too, with players off the bench making a real impact as well.

In fairness to Caldicot, they gave it a crack and it only really became one-sided in the second-half. A decent run out for both sides.

In terms of next week, i'm not sure Bargoed have played any pre-season games, as their game against Rhydyfelin was cancelled yesterday - haven't heard of them playing in the previous two weekends either. If this is true, then hopefully we can catch them a bit cold next week and get off to a good start. Always a tough place to go though, and i'm sure they'll try and rough us up as usual. We can't get dragged into a scrap and need to avoid the yellows and stick to playing rugby.
robert rees

Re: Caldicot

Post by robert rees »

My first game I've seen this year and we looked solid. Our set pieces looked strong and stable, despite the wind playing havoc at line outs.

Scrums were excellent as usual, but we used them to mount attacks either where the ball was able to be moved across the backline, or carried by Spencer, Jon Davies, clarkey.

Whole pack carried well in fairness. Great to see us playing attacking rugby, whilst remaining dominant up front. A lot of new names to recognise ahead of this season, so I'm looking forward to seeing what we do.

Bargoed have appeared to be quiet over the summer and pre season so hopefully we can really get going against them.

One thing we must do, which didn't really happen yesterday was to keep our discipline. Not just the yellow cards at the end, but our silly offside or entering at the side penalties throughout the match.

We cut that out against bargoed and we'll do well.