Next season

You'll never guess what I heard in the pub/club/Tesco's last night.......

Moderators: admin, The ref, Henry Crun

david brown

Re: Next season

Post by david brown »

My eternal gratitude for breaking the sound of silence.Incidently the definition of the noun dude ,an old fashioned dandy.Having been born in VICTORIA in 1937 ,i feel rather flattered,THANK YOU.APOLOGIES for the unplanned repertition.
chris

Post by chris »

Genuinely shocked that there are still no announcements. Everyone will have seen that attendances seemed lower last season, yet we seem to be treating our remaining supporters with total complacency. I just cannot understand what we hope to achieve with our current approach, and as a loyal supporter of the club I feel really dissapointed. Whilst I can accept that we've never been particularly good at communication, this off-season has been the worst I can ever remember...
jadegoodiesfridge

Post by jadegoodiesfridge »

Don't think we have to wait much longer Chris.Contracts from previous club's had to lapse before any announcements could be made( so I've heard ).
chris

Post by chris »

jadegoodiesfridge wrote:Don't think we have to wait much longer Chris.Contracts from previous club's had to lapse before any announcements could be made( so I've heard ).
I sincerely hope that you're right, as I have no doubt that this extended period with no announcements will be annoying many.

Regarding the point about contracts, if that's the case then how have all other clubs in the league got around this? I have seen news from every other club in the league barring Ebbw so far, hence much of the frustration!
Phillip Grey

Post by Phillip Grey »

Am awaiting the good news to come from HQ with baited breath, i'm sure it will be good as well.
Rhys Jones is one name I've heard has signed.

Also heard that Cross Keys haven't paid their players since January, so not sure how they can sign new squad members on contracts with promises of financial deals for next season?
Hope thats not the case and our neighbours are ok there
One Smart Fellow, He Felt Smart
chris

Post by chris »

chris wrote:Both only rumours I should emphasise...

Heard we have signed Rhys Jones (Dorian's brother) and Ashley Sweet for next season.

Both excellent signings if true. Anyone able to confirm or deny?
Both in training tonight, so can only imagine that both have signed. Hopefully the official site will catch up soon...
Malpas69

Post by Malpas69 »

Phillip Grey wrote:Also heard that Cross Keys haven't paid their players since January, so not sure how they can sign new squad members on contracts with promises of financial deals for next season?
I am not doubting what you have said, but how can they afford to sign the likes of Jason Tovey and Damien Welch?
Crime in multi-storey car parks - that is just wrong on so many different levels!!
CJ

Post by CJ »

I appreciate that it is frustrating not to have regular updates but we need to remember that there are reasons for this. The club are not keeping us in the dark for fun or spite.

We cannot confirm signings until the signings are confirmed. what good would it be to say we sign a player to later hear he's signed elsewhere. We've made this mistake in the past. Until a player signs on the dotted line it means nothing and even then it means very little.

Do you want the club to announce we are talking to player X Y Z only for somebody else to find this out and swoop in?

South Wales is a small place and its hard enough to keep things on the lowdown, id prefer the club don't announce anything until a deal is done. Does it actually make a difference? I hardly think we'll be singing James Hook and Gavin Henson. After all we're not Merthyr.

If you'r on twitter you will have seen we are back in training...and there are players attending, so we definitely aren't doomed!

Have faith in the club and the coaches and turn up to the open day. I'm sure it will be a fantastic day as the ones that have gone before have been. The players are a good sociable bunch, and who knows you might meet a few new faces. Maybe you can even bump into the powers that be that will happily discuss transfers matters and give reasons as to why there haven't been a stream of announcemnets.

I personally am excited about next season. Realistically I don't think we can win it, but.... The current coaches came in at the half way point and made no changes to personnel but somehow completely turned our season around. Imagine what they can do with a pre season and bringing in players they want. Just so you know, they don't have to clear these players with supporters).

Cut the club some slack and assume they are working in the background to put smiles on our faces next season. After all, nothing has changed since we got relegated and nobody complained for the first 5/6 seasons (well bar the odd a$$hole). Lets just get behind them, whoever it may be. Names on the team sheet mean nothing to me as long as they are giving their all for the badge and red white and green!!!!

UP THE STEELMEN!!!
Stevey

Post by Stevey »

Fully supportive of EVERYTHING you said there CJ.
viewfromthestand

Post by viewfromthestand »

"Heard that when the team come onto the field next season ,they will be INTRODUCED by a new tune,.THE SOUND OF SILENCE by SIMON and GARFUNLKE. Is that so called drag night a secret way to maybe drag new players in?? All jokes aside it is embarrassing that we are the only club with no info on next season ,not only of new signings but our current squad".
Having only just been able to get back on this forum I have to take issue with the post of David Brown. As posted above.Victoria Boy or not sometimes you aim punches below the belt.
Firstly, I believe there are genuine reasons for not naming our squad at the moment, frustrating as this may be to some, it s for the good of moral and team spirit.However, I know that there will be announcements in the next few days
Secondly, the drag night was arranged by a committed few supporters who thought that this venture would raise a significant amount of money for the club. The night was not supported as well as we thought it would be but that said was an excellent night. Had we had sold the desired amount of tickets (120 ), we would of raised £1000 at least to give to the powers of the club to help in funding the forthcoming season in whatever way they saw as fit. People actually fronted up with their own cash to put this show on. Money they could ill afford to lose, they took the gamble for the benefit of the club. There was a small profit made after all was paid. The bar took money that would not have been forthcoming if the event had not gone ahead,. so there were benefits. It s all well and good to sit at the keyboard and type but some of us actually roll our sleeves up and try hard to move our club forward.
There are other ventures taking place , ie open day, friends of ebbw vale rfc asking for donations to the club. actively seeking new sponsors. Chasing former Ebbw people who have made good in their lives and are on the rich list of the country.
so, with all due respect if it was nt for nights like the drag night and other ventures we will not be naming any squad members as we won t have a club in the premiership to support. it s about making money to put our team on the park. It is widely publised that the WRU are cutting funding to premiership clubs and we as a group need to play our part in trying to limit the shortfall that we are going to experience in the forthcoming seasons
Now I ve got this off my chest I feel this is going to be one hell of a season. We may all have different opinions but we all should stand together for the team.
Karl Offers. as I know you don t like people using user names
Stevey

Post by Stevey »

Well put Karl, I understand people's frustrations but on the other hand, as spelt out in your post, it is easy to criticize from one's keyboard. We are at a crossroads and whether we succeed or not is totally in our hands, we can take the easy option and fail or take the difficult option and be competitive or even prosper. Other clubs are having difficulties but I'm concerned with ours and ours alone.
So get out of your comfort zone and step forward and help those that are doing their damnedest for our club.
david brown

Post by david brown »

It was never my aim to offend anyone ,hence the jocular comments .Just hoped it would get some info on next season My reference to VICTORIA was simply to highlight the unlikely hood of finding a DUDE there.May hit below the belt ,but i have never made any direct insults at any of the fellow participants .
viewfromthestand

David i is taken as a personal insult and I fully understand your frustration re squad news. As one of the organisers of the drag night
viewfromthestand

David i have not taken your comment as a personal insult and I fully understand your frustration re squad news. As one of the organiser's of the drag night I know how much hard work went into the event. This event had nothing at all to do with the team , coaches etc. It was run by a small group for the benefit of all involved with EVRFC. I tried to explain why we are trying to hold events and it s a plain simple fact , we as a club need money and we need money fast. Sometimes a flippant comment meant in jest can be taken out of context by another individual . I have no wish to enter a battle of wits, my only aim was to highlight the hardwork that went into putting this event on, and the reason it was held.
david brown

Post by david brown »

AFTER READING THE ABOVE ,MAKES ME REALIZE MY SENSE OF HUMOUR IS SADLY MISPLACED,THAMKS FOR THE KICK UP THE POSTERIOR ,I WILL TAKE IT LIKE A MAN AND HUMBLY +SWALLOW MY PRIDE.MY COMMENTS REGARDING INSULTS WERE NOT DIRECTED AT YOU ,BUT AT SOMEONE WHO SHOULD KNOW BETTER THAN TO USE THE WORDS BUT AND DUDE.