Good start...

Whether you're looking forward to kick-off or the final whistle has blown, this is the place for supporters of EVRFC

Moderators: admin, The ref, Henry Crun

String

Good start...

Post by String »

Quiet on here but we're underway again.

Good solid win away to "them".

Impressed mostly with our defence - solid, hard, committed and competed for the ball on every single tackle. It showed, opposition had plenty of ball but couldn't go forward at all.
Used the wind well second half too.

Lots of new faces but good, thinking rugby for the main (although we did try running it from our own 22 too often). Can't complain about that for a first game.

Downsides were £14 to get in and "interesting" touch judge in the first half with some very odd referee calls deep into second half injury time on top of that.

3 home games in a row now to settle down further but great start for a fairly new side.
DaiLew

Re: Good start...

Post by DaiLew »

Couldn’t make it but the result got me excited again!!
It’s a pity this site isn’t used as much as it was.
Hopefully, it will pick up as the season progresses.
Bodie 007

Post by Bodie 007 »

Maybe this type of forum isn't used as much as it once were but I prefer it than Twitter or other platforms.
Was great to be there yesterday, my traveling partner had us down to a heavy loss, I was more optimistic but certainly didn't see what was coming.
The Watcher

Post by The Watcher »

Really good start to season, great attitude and fitness shown by the team. Lineout needs some work but we looked well drilled and the back line looked fast and creative.
More to come I’m sure and I’m looking forward to how the coaches develop the squad in next 3 months
The Newport report on game displays a lack of sportsmanship and class, very disappointing to see
marshomano

Post by marshomano »

The Newport report on game displays a lack of sportsmanship and class, very disappointing to see
Agree with this. Certainly less than magnanimous in defeat. We know as well as anyone that you can only play whats in front of you. It seems we learnt from past mistakes, and we capatalised on newports errors. We took our points when on offer and stopped newport from taking theirs. Thats how to play rugby aint it?

Newports half arsed attempt at being sportsmanlike, on all their social channels and their match report was very poor, and is something rarely seen across teams in the premiership. And some of the rude belligerent comments from some of their supporters beggars belief. Reminds me of that fabled day in Cardiff for the quarter finals of the cup. "Ebbw vale shouldn't be in this cup, its in England" was my favourite quote from that day, as we were deep into 30 mins of injury time.

Lets hope we can show them a warm welcome when they travel north to us, and at very least give them the same level of respect that they have shown us in this fixture and the hours after it......
Malpas69

Post by Malpas69 »

... and not forgetting to charge them at least £14 for the pleasure of entering the Ciner Glass Community Stadium (the same as they charged us to get into that athletics track).
Crime in multi-storey car parks - that is just wrong on so many different levels!!
marshomano

Post by marshomano »

... and not forgetting to charge them at least £14 for the pleasure of entering the Ciner Glass Community Stadium (the same as they charged us to get into that athletics track).
maybe we can charge £14, then get them to stand by the old council offices to watch the game, or up by the kings arms
String

Post by String »

marshomano wrote: 05 Sep 2022 11:18
maybe we can charge £14, then get them to stand by the old council offices to watch the game, or up by the kings arms
All 5 of them?
String

Post by String »

marshomano wrote: 05 Sep 2022 10:10 And some of the rude belligerent comments from some of their supporters beggars belief.
True but far be it for me to defend anything to do with Newport (anyone that knows me will know i definitely don't do that) but on the way out 3 completely separate Newport fans came up and said well done, we deserve to win a close game.
Surprised me somewhat as ive NEVER heard that from any of their supporters before so there is some hope.

(Normal service will now be resumed).
marshomano

Post by marshomano »

3 completely separate Newport fans came up and said well done, we deserve to win a close game.
This is the thing see. You do meet some genuinely lovely supporters on your travels. Some that suprise you with their knowledge of the game and their humility in both defeat and success. But then you meet the one idiot , or read the post of the one moron on the internet, and those are the comments and the people you remember. There have been some downright dull comments made by a few of the newport faithful, that you wish were made face to face and not hidden behind a computer screen, and sadly they remain visible for all to see.

Print the crappy comments out and stick them on the wall of the dressing room for the return fixture.

On a positive note, it does seem that our pack fronted up well, and im looking forward to the next 3 home games. If we can win 2 out of 3, i'd be a very happy man.