V Swansea

Whether you're looking forward to kick-off or the final whistle has blown, this is the place for supporters of EVRFC

Moderators: admin, The ref, Henry Crun

Bodie 007

V Swansea

Post by Bodie 007 »

I couldn't explain how it happened properly and you needed to be there to witness it yourselves. Swansea rout first half, incredible Ebbw comeback second half, a draw at 24 all would have felt like a victory but a fabulous break by Lewis Young, doing his best impression of a greyhound, gave us all the points. Well done Ebbw.
jadegoodiesfridge

Re: V Swansea

Post by jadegoodiesfridge »

Wow !!!........I mean.....WOW !!!!.......the last time I saw something similar to that was down at Rodney Parade a few years back.But yesterday was much more dramatic.We were outsmarted by a very good Swansea side ( or so it appeared ) in the first half,when everything they did came off,and everything we did was shambolic.Thought we put a bad twenty minutes or so behind us when we pulled it back to 7-5,but the interception seemed to hurt us .From 14-5 it went bad to worse.Another 10 points was added ,and it could have got even worse,had Swansea not butchered a chance just prior to half time.God !..was I glad to hear the half time whistle.But having to pull back19 points with the way we were playing appeared more than unlikely.
Then came the second half.We obviously upped our game,but the clock kept ticking down,and the scoreboard wasn't moving.Ebbw deservedly pulled one try back.......then something strange happened.Swansea visibly started to wilt about the hour mark.They began to cheese the referee off with their blatant attempts at slowing the game down.Penalty,after penalty,after penalty,then the cards came out .Three in quick succession,as now Swansea looked doomed to play out the rest of the game with 13 men( with one having returned ).
All the Ebbw addicts would have been happy with a 24-24 draw at this stage as it was more than a likelihood.And so it happened.Some super Ebbw tries ensued.Carrick's was a cracker.And into injury time we went ,with the replacements having turned the game in Ebbws favour.Swansea by now were out on their feet.But if we thought the drama was over .Not a chance.The injury time continued,mainly due to Swanseas relentless time wasting.Then Joe went down.This poor lad has had no luck,and I hope we haven't seen the last of him in an Ebbw shirt
With all the addicts on the bank begging the ref to blow for a 24-24 draw,14 minutes into injury time Swansea win a penalty.Gut wrenching stuff....... BUT HE MISSED !!!!!....Ebbw counter attacked from deep ,Swansea got the ball back...AND GAVE IT TO LEWIS. !!!!!!!!.......GO ON MY SON !!!!!!!
Hundred yard sprint.TRY.!!!!....Ebbw win ,sixteen minutes into injury time. Bloody Hell,what a game !!
String

Re: V Swansea

Post by String »

Half time it looked odds on to be a 50+ point defeat with absolutely no chance of salvaging even pride from it.

Really hard to describe how poor we were. Stood off every tackle, lazy or non existent chases, 12/13 channel provided unopposed gaps all the time, right hand side nothing. Goal kicking well wide of the mark.

We were, without doubt, awful.

Then the second half came and a completely different game. Solid set piece against a Swansea team that looked more and more to be absolutely exhausted. Their only option was to try to slow the game at every opportunity, the result of that was penalty after penalty and eventually (after final final final final "i really mean it this time" warnings) a string of yellow cards.

We came out a different side, we hit tackles on the gain line, made ground, the ball started going to hand and we ran at gaps. By that point Swansea offered nothing at all and were just desperately trying to cling onto a lead which *should* have been enough.

As time went on i was happy we could likely salvage an unexpected losing bonus point. Then salvage an unexpected losing AND a 4 try bonus point.
Then we needed a difficult touchline conversion to salvage a draw. Given the kicking previously i wasn't hopeful yet there it was.

Then after that and the horrible looking injury the Swansea penalty i was expecting hopes to be shattered. But he missed.
The final part then the interception which i thought no way did he have the legs to run that in from 40m but actually did.

So went from expecting us to be on the wrong side of a 50 point defeat to a bonus point win in the space of half an hour. Highly entertaining but not exactly stress free!

On a serious note though we do seem to have a problem starting matches. Llandovery, Bridgend and here we've gifted the opposition 2-3 tries early on before we got going. Can't afford to do that against Merthyr on Friday - they'll be a lot more clinical.
Not impressed with our cleaning out or support play at the tackle still. We're not committing many, if any, at times resulting in slow ball or turnovers. Need to be a lot more aggressive with more numbers in that area still. We've spent a fair amount of time in recent games shovelling on slow ball and given away interceptions.

Previous seasons heads would have dropped after that start and we'd have been utterly smashed but there's a belief and willingness to try this year no matter how hopeless it seems. Mentally we seem much more resilient.

If i had to pick the biggest factor in winning that match i'd say it was far superior fitness.