How many regional players ???

Anything regional, again there are limits

Moderators: admin, The ref, Henry Crun

ebbwboy

How many regional players ???

Post by ebbwboy »

Llanelli fielded Chris Wyatt, Lee Byrne, Darren Daniel and Ceiron Thomas on Saturday - all listed as members of the Scarlets regional squad. I thought the limit was 2 regional players. I am also confused about Dan Godfrey who I thought had left Pontypridd for the Scarlets although he is shown as a member of the semi-pro squad on the Llanelli RFC website.

Any thoughts on this?
"We may be in the tropics but today Queensland has been as cold as Ebbw Vale" - Stuart Barnes, Lions' Tour 2001.
Poolersaint

Post by Poolersaint »

Wyatt was probably the only full member of the Scarlets squad playing, the other 3 you mention are probably classed as apprentice squad members or some such rubbish.
Nice to see the Dragons supporting their regional clubs on their weekend off - how many players were offered to Ebbw and Pooler for Saturday ?
DaiC

Post by DaiC »

Poolersaint wrote:Wyatt was probably the only full member of the Scarlets squad playing, the other 3 you mention are probably classed as apprentice squad members or some such rubbish.
Nice to see the Dragons supporting their regional clubs on their weekend off - how many players were offered to Ebbw and Pooler for Saturday ?
NGD are playing tuesday.

So which players do you suggest should be loaned out to the clubs (not forgetting Bedwas and Newport)?
Poolersaint

Post by Poolersaint »

Tuesday is a midweek game, or have they changed tuesday to a weekend now ? :roll: Bugger, I missed that I should have been off today ! :shock:
Seeing as the Dragons signed Wales u21 caps Chris Davies, Aled Thomas and Richard Fussell over the summer and 2 of the 3 played for Newport at the weekend they were well catered for. Cross Keys had Rhys Oakley in their squad I believe ?
Bedwas had no one, same as Ebbw and Pooler had their own Dragons development player Andrew Coombes.
Now I know the Dragons have a game this evening but surely some of their players could have done with a run out. There are people like Charteris in the squad who has hardly played any rugby AT ALL ! Has Dai Maddocks played a meaningful game this season yet ? Or Bryn Griffiths ? There must be a few more as well !
At least the Scarlets make an effort with their region - Havilli, Afeaki and Jon Mills all played for Llandovery last week and Chris Wyatt for Llanelli this week. Thats not counting all the Acadamy/development players that are sent out to other clubs.
DaiC

Post by DaiC »

Poolersaint wrote:Tuesday is a midweek game, or have they changed tuesday to a weekend now ? :roll: Bugger, I missed that I should have been off today ! :shock:
Seeing as the Dragons signed Wales u21 caps Chris Davies, Aled Thomas and Richard Fussell over the summer and 2 of the 3 played for Newport at the weekend they were well catered for. Cross Keys had Rhys Oakley in their squad I believe ?
Bedwas had no one, same as Ebbw and Pooler had their own Dragons development player Andrew Coombes.
Now I know the Dragons have a game this evening but surely some of their players could have done with a run out. There are people like Charteris in the squad who has hardly played any rugby AT ALL ! Has Dai Maddocks played a meaningful game this season yet ? Or Bryn Griffiths ? There must be a few more as well !
At least the Scarlets make an effort with their region - Havilli, Afeaki and Jon Mills all played for Llandovery last week and Chris Wyatt for Llanelli this week. Thats not counting all the Acadamy/development players that are sent out to other clubs.
Did Ebbw request a player release?
Seisyll ap Dyfnwal

Post by Seisyll ap Dyfnwal »

DaiC wrote:Did Ebbw request a player release?
Is this a joke?
html junkie

Post by html junkie »

Interesting to see how this thread has been 'hi-jacked'! Originally it was just a query about numbers of regional players allowed in a premier squad but it's turned into an argument about whether the Dragons should be offering players to the Gwent clubs and whether Ebbw Vale requested any.
Ah well, I suppose we all have our ittle agendas...
Martyn Madden: That's show business
Me: **** off!
Henry Crun

Post by Henry Crun »

I fully agree with you htmljunkie. This thread now has little or nothing to do with last weekends Llanelli game. It belongs in the regional part of this forum and has been moved.
"Chickens can't see where they're going in the fog. Unless it's a fog chicken, and there's no such thing as a fog chicken".
DaiC

Post by DaiC »

Seisyll ap Dyfnwal wrote:
DaiC wrote:Did Ebbw request a player release?
Is this a joke?
No. Why do you think so?
Seisyll ap Dyfnwal

Post by Seisyll ap Dyfnwal »

DaiC wrote:No. Why do you think so?
I was under the impression that Ebbw and the Dragons weren't talking to each other, but the fact that we've got regional development players this year shows I must have been wrong. Having said that, we haven't seen any of the Dragons' stars in Ebbw colours yet, even ones recovering from injury, whereas there always seems to be regional players in the three Scarlet satellite Premiership teams.
DaiC

Post by DaiC »

Seisyll ap Dyfnwal wrote:
DaiC wrote:No. Why do you think so?
I was under the impression that Ebbw and the Dragons weren't talking to each other, but the fact that we've got regional development players this year shows I must have been wrong. Having said that, we haven't seen any of the Dragons' stars in Ebbw colours yet, even ones recovering from injury, whereas there always seems to be regional players in the three Scarlet satellite Premiership teams.
If you don't ask you don't get

Anyway who are these stars, recovering from injury or not, who are likely to appear for Ebbw? At present the number of D's players with any affilation to Ebbw is small. Apart from the token guesture of say sending Nathan Brew up for a game or two who is there to have. And if this was an option for Ebbw would you really want to take such a player, no connection to the team, no knowledge of team training or tactics just probably an uncommited performance. To be honest unless a core of dual contract players are developed Ebbw will probably be better off without the token drop ins.