Ruddock resigns

Cymru Am Byth ('nuff said)

Moderators: admin, The ref, Henry Crun

String

Ruddock resigns

Post by String »

With immediate effect accorsing to the BBC.

Johnson to take over as caretaker.
Dil

Post by Dil »

Official announcment from the WRU :

MIKE RUDDOCK TO LEAVE POST
WRU Chief Executive Steve Lewis has announced that he has been notified by Wales head coach Mike Ruddock that he will not seek to renew his contract at the end of his current term...
As a result, it has been agreed between the WRU and Ruddock that he will stand down with immediate effect. In his absence, Scott Johnson will take over as head coach for the remainder of the RBS Six Nations Championship.
Ruddock, who took over from Steve Hansen two years ago and was at the helm for Wales’ first Grand Slam in 27 years last season, has decided to leave his post for family reasons.

“Mike informed me today that he will not be seeking to extend his contract as Wales’ national coach,” said WRU Chief Executive Steve Lewis.

“His announcement, and the timing of it, has obviously come as a shock and will be a blow to Welsh rugby as a whole. It is public knowledge that we have been in contract negotiations with Mike for some time in order to agree an extension through to the 2007 Rugby World Cup and beyond.

“We had reached agreement on the terms of the contract, but clearly Mike has indicated reasons for not signing which are beyond those which are capable of negotiation and I understand his position.

“It is disappointing that Mike has not been able to commit himself to a new deal and we now have to respect the decision he has reached about his future and his reasons for it. The role of head coach to the Welsh National Team carries immense pressures, and the expectations of a nation, and Mike, with a young family, has found these, and the commitment required of the position over the next two years, unacceptable.

“His place in Welsh sporting history is already assured for what he has done for Welsh rugby in such a short space of time. He will leave with our blessings and the heartfelt thanks of Welsh fans around the world and we wish him the best of luck with his future endeavors. I hope that the press will leave him to the privacy he requires.

“As a result of Mike’s decision it has been agreed between us that it would be inappropriate for both him, and for the team itself, for him to continue to prepare the team for the remaining games in the RBS Six Nations championship and I have asked Scott Johnson to assume that responsibility for the games against Ireland, Italy and France.

“There is still all to play for in the championship following our win over Scotland last weekend. Scott, in conjunction with Clive Griffiths and the rest of the National Team management, is dedicated to delivering further good results and performances.”

The most successful head coach to lead Wales for the last 30 years leaves the top job in Welsh sport with the stated intention of putting his young family first.

"After consultation with my family, I have made the decision to stand down as National Coach,” said Ruddock.

“On that basis, I have decided to withdraw from contract talks to take Wales to the 2007 World Cup in France. This has been a tough decision to make but I have decided to put my family first.

"What I have found during my two years as coach is that this position is 'more than a job'. That has meant I have spent long periods away from my family, in camp and on overseas tours.

"As a consequence, I felt the intense build-up to next year's World Cup would mean more time away from my family. That is something which, on reflection, I would like to avoid.

“Therefore, I have taken the decision to stand down as national coach. I would like to thank the WRU for providing me with the opportunity to coach my country at the highest level.

"I would also like to take the opportunity to thank my fellow coaches, my support staff and the players for their contribution and support in what has been a very enjoyable couple of years.

"I must also place on record my sincere appreciation of the role the Welsh public has played. Quite simply, they have been outstanding in their support of the Wales team and myself and I must thank each and every one of them.

“I wish the WRU and the Wales team the very best in the future. There are another three fixtures left in the Six Nations and I firmly believe we can win them all to give us a chance of retaining our title."
Graham

Post by Graham »

According to the independant (full report in here) there has been a rift with the players not only questioning what they should do, but telling Mike Ruddock in no uncertain terms what he could do.

Quote from website..............

Ruddock was certainly in sharp disagreement with a number of the Test squad as recently as last week. Before Sunday's match with Scotland in Cardiff, the second of this season's Six Nations fixtures, the Welsh players refused to attend a scheduled press gathering because they objected to the presence of a BBC journalist, Graham Thomas, who had co-operated in the writing of a controversial whistle-blower's book by the now suspended Henson. Ruddock asked his players to fulfil their obligations, and, according to eye- witnesses, was bluntly told to go forth and multiply.

I think you'll find that some of this squad are the same players that were involved in the gang of six strike threats not so long ago. Great role models for the future generation of players.

It was very noticeable that during the press conference tonight that the WRU brushed very quickly around speculation that "player power" had been at play and was partly responsible.
is steve going?

Post by is steve going? »

That say's exactly what I was thinking Graham. It's a black day again for Welsh rugby, Mike Ruddock resigns and Dil sponsers English rugby whatever next :?: Answers on a post card to Sirclive. :wink:
Hay Rarris

Post by Hay Rarris »

Yes very disturbing, i bet Colin Charvis had something to do with it!!
Paris

Post by Paris »

Andy Rutherford South Wales Argus Friday, February 17 writes:

It seems clear that the sorry fallout from Gavin Henson's book, My Grand Slam Year, has played a major part in bringing a mounting, if secret, crisis to a head.

The public was informed that the wounds opened up by the spike-topped one's opinions contained therein had healed. But the presence at a Press conference last week of the journalist who acted as Henson's ghost writer infuriated the players, coming, as it did, just days after the said journalist had penned a piece in the England v Wales match programme defending player's right to voice their opinions.

The Welsh players refused to appear and requested that the offender, in their eyes, be ejected. They may have been inspired by his defence of what he saw as their right and were moved to exercise it on this occasion, albeit by not actually speaking at all.

Whatever, this may well have been the straw that broke the camel's back, as far as Ruddock was concerned.

Jonathan Davies summed it up for me on last nights Scrum V, "Ruddock's been shafted."

The manager's role should be to manage, the players to play.

I for one have lost all respect for this Welsh team.
Paris

Post by Paris »

Did anyone see tonights Scrum V?

Does anyone have any thoughts? :shock:
Mykal

Post by Mykal »

My flabber was well and truly gasted following Gareth's performance on Scrum V. This is a man who is the captain of a national side, he should be ashamed of himself, he looked like he'd dressed ready for a night on the town, his language was extraordinary for an evening programme, and he came across as an aggressive bit of a yob, to be honest.

If his intention in agreeing to appear was to throw himself and the players on the mercy of the rugby public by pleading innocence, he failed outright.
String

Post by String »

Thomas would have been better not appearing. Not sure what his objective was but im now more convinced than ever a certain band of players including him were involved in all this along with Steve Lewis.l

Thomas was aggressive, evasive and tellingly, changed his story several times throughout the course of it. Unfortunately as per usual for Scrum V they just ask pre scripted questions and never asked follow ups or asked them to elaborate on a point so the interview was far softer on him than it could and should have been.

Then again its exactly what we should expect of Thomas and these players - its not as if they havent tried this sort of thing before (Gang of 6 strike threats, "service station" strike prior to NZ tour and so on). There are a lot of players there who think theyre a lot better than they actually are and have far too much power. Lewis is as bad.
Paris

Post by Paris »

My sentiments exactly Mykal.

For starters, the guy clearly looked as if he had something on his conscience, as his whole demeanour came across as aggressive and rude from the off. Obviously he has no idea of what discourse is all about as he continually talked over everyone else. I noticed Jonathan stayed quiet during most of his diatribe. A sure sign he felt they were all fighting a losing battle.

Also, I couldn't believe how stupid he made himself look by not being able to get to grips with the central point of the argument. He had the chance to vindicate the team but didn't take it.

Clearly, there is a lot of jealousy amongst this team towards the management, and my guess is Ruddock's knighthood has ruffled a few feathers. Maybe the team feel they should have been honoured along with him, like they did with the England team.
Paris

Post by Paris »

Nice post String.

You really hit the nail on the head when you said there are a lot of players there who think they're a lot better than they really are.
Graham

Post by Graham »

If Thomas and his team are as aggressive against Ireland, then Ireland can look out. His posturing (particularly toward Butler) was that of a man backed into a corner. He seemed to go on the attack from the off and tried to stick to the same script regardless of the questions he was asked. His agent dropped a huge clanger in not demanding that this show be pre-recorded.

Am I the only one who felt that he was making demands of the Welsh rugby-following public and press? His "get behind us or we'll definitely lose" thing was mind boggling and almost sounded like a thinly veiled threat. He sounded as if he was expecting us to all forget about this weeks events and what has happened to Ruddock. He also openly accused the press and the public of hoping that Wales would lose against Ireland. Unfortunately, this is not just paranoia on his part, as he and several other players (whose actions in the past have cemented their reputations) have turned many Welsh supporters not only toward an apathetic view point, but in many cases to actually hoping they do lose.

This interview wasn't without it's good bits though. The funniest part of the interview was when he said he had played for 11 years for his country and had broken his thumb. I nearly spat my tea at the screen laughing while imagining someone like Charlie Faulkner saying that.

I am not saying that on the pitch he doesn't give less than 100%, but I get the feeling these boys have a little bit too much power for their own good. It reminds me of something I heard on an episode of the Simpsons where some guy says "it's a little like a mule with a spinning wheel - nobody knows how he got it and danged if he knows how to use it".
Paris

Post by Paris »

LOL - nice one Graham. The good bits were really good, I couldn't stop laughing all night.

He did make demands of us all, so I guess we have to stop fuelling the fire. Personally I think he's asking a lot 'cos it's bloody cold up here in the valleys at the moment.

Still, with a throbbing thumb to contend with I don't suppose you'd sleep for five nights either. :lol: :lol:
is steve going?

Post by is steve going? »

Well well well, it appears that the pressure really did get to our Gareth "Alfie" Thomas after his little outburst on Scrum v last night (sunday) he was taken to hospital with a severe migraine, he was released but missed training today as he has been told to rest.

Gareth may even miss the ireland game :shock:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/scrumv/
String

Post by String »

WRU "severe headache"

BBC news tonight reported "Alfie thought he'd suffered a heart attack"

Odd conflict of stories there.